Cruise Ships

Old August 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Default Cruise Ships

Hello All!

They seem to get bigger and bigger: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32544025

I wonder with all the amenities, like climbing walls and two-story
miniature golf courses, if they are designed to make passengers forget
they are even aboard ship? Admittedly, docking in new places every day
or so might be interesting but I wonder how long it will take over 3000
passengers to disembark.

I admit that I've never been aboard one of those monsters and I can only
remember the simple pleasure of sitting on an open deck in a deck chair
on an Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old August 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Pat[_19_]

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

They seem to get bigger and bigger:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32544025
I wonder with all the amenities, like climbing walls and two-story
miniature golf courses, if they are designed to make passengers forget
they are even aboard ship? Admittedly, docking in new places every day
or so might be interesting but I wonder how long it will take over
3000 passengers to disembark.

I admit that I've never been aboard one of those monsters and I can
only remember the simple pleasure of sitting on an open deck in a
deck chair on an Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary.

My step-father came back from such a cruise with a case of pancreatitis. He
bragged that he "never missed a single feeding" the entire trip and the
liquor was free. I do think the illness wasn't pleasant, though.

Pat in TX

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

James Silverton wrote on Aug 25, 2009:

Hello All!

They seem to get bigger and bigger: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32544025

I wonder with all the amenities, like climbing walls and two-story
miniature golf courses, if they are designed to make passengers forget
they are even aboard ship? Admittedly, docking in new places every day
or so might be interesting but I wonder how long it will take over 3000
passengers to disembark.

I admit that I've never been aboard one of those monsters and I can only
remember the simple pleasure of sitting on an open deck in a deck chair
on an Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary.

I get the horrors when ever I see one, but on the other hand I'm quite
thankful that they're becoming so popular. They gather together large numbers
of people that I would rather not come across while on holiday, and keep them
(mostly) out of sight and out of mind.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old August 26th, 2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
[...]

LOL! Couldn't agree more.

Old August 26th, 2009, 08:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:31:01 GMT schrieb James Silverton:

Hello All!

They seem to get bigger and bigger: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32544025

I wonder with all the amenities, like climbing walls and two-story
miniature golf courses, if they are designed to make passengers forget
they are even aboard ship? Admittedly, docking in new places every day
or so might be interesting but I wonder how long it will take over 3000
passengers to disembark.

Biggest I've been on was MSC-Ships with about 2000 passengers.
Disembarkment was always quickly, I never really had to wait more than 5 to
10 minutes. Not everyone leaves the ship at the same time. Even tendering
once (Visy, Gotland, Sweden) was surprisingly quick.

I admit that I've never been aboard one of those monsters and I can only
remember the simple pleasure of sitting on an open deck in a deck chair
on an Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary.

I don't think it's so much different from the QM. You don't really notice
the difference so much. If 1000 people share one dining room or 3000 people
share 3 dining rooms?!

Regards,

Frank