Tailors in Bangkok (Silom) and Krabi Thailand

Old December 18th, 2003, 12:17 PM
peter

Default Tailors in Bangkok (Silom) and Krabi Thailand

I'm going to Krabi in January, with a few days in Bangkok (Silom area).

* Are there any good tailors in Krabi or should I buy my clothes in Bangkok?

* Can someone recommend a good tailor in Krabi or Bangkok (Silom area)?

* how are the prices? (e.g. shirts, suit, dress)

Thanks
Peter

Old December 19th, 2003, 08:12 AM
F. D. Lewis

peter wrote in message ...
I'm going to Krabi in January, with a few days in Bangkok (Silom area).
* Are there any good tailors in Krabi or should I buy my clothes in Bangkok?
* Can someone recommend a good tailor in Krabi or Bangkok (Silom area)?

OK, about custom-made clothing. to begin, do not believe the signs
outside the tailor shops (eg. 15 suits, 9 shirts, 3 kinonos for $99
US). the prices depend upon the material. at my tailor's shop suits
go from 2,000 to 5,000 baht. the 2,000 baht suit is poor quality
material that he does not recommend.

what you need to do is select a tailor. spend an afternoon and
interview several. ask them about prices and materials. if they
mention their special deals (like the sign outside), run. you'll
quickly find out who is reputable and who just wants a quick sale.
deal with older gentlemen, not their kids. ask if the suit is fully
lined and the trousers are half-lined. and with what? and is this
extra? ask about their customers. my tailor goes to the US and
Europe to see his customers. do not believe any award citations you
see around the shop. these are purchased. no good tailor will tell
you he was 'Tailor of the Year' for some Thai consumer organization.
in fact if you see an award, run.

also do not believe claims such as 'made ready within 18 hours.'
you'll need a measuring and maybe two fittings with a couple of days
in between each. so this adds up to about a week. of course if you
do not care how the suit looks things are quicker!

next, do not pay in advance. a good-faith deposit is reasonable
because the tailor does not know you and wants to recoup his costs if
you do not return.

at any tailor shop you are at the mercy of the small manufacturing
factory where the suit is actually made. they can mess up, especially
after a night on the town. provide time for your clothes to be remade
if necessary.

* how are the prices? (e.g. shirts, suit, dress)

depends upon the material.

good hunting.

Old December 19th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Griswalds Vietnamese Vacations

I've had stuff made in BKK for some years now & Jackies, near Nana BTS
Station is really very good.

Nick or Aaman are 2 very nice young guys & they do a package for $289
(?) that's way above the rest.

Old December 20th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Bob

I have had a number of custom tailored items made by Hong Kong
Designers of Bangkok. They are in the River City mall next to the
Royal Orchid Sheraton. They are not the cheapest, but I have always
been satisfied with their quality.