People from Europe sure are stupid

Old June 1st, 2005, 10:35 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:57:44 +0200, nitram
wrote:

[]
I do and I have answered it. Your spelling checker is on the blink.

I admit to a certain denseness, but I don't see how the power to
sack the commissioners addresses the question of whether the
parliament can originate legislation.

He answered already, in the affirmative. Do an internet search on "eu
legislation" and you get a taster for some of it.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:23 AM
Hatunen

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:02:01 +0200, nitram
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:44:13 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:57:44 +0200, nitram
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:58:36 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:29:04 +0200, nitram
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:21:58 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:26:12 +0200, nitram
wrote:

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:11:52 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Does the Eruoepan parliament simply approve things, or does it
have the poer to originate them?

Yes. It has the power to sack all the commissioners and has done at
least once.

Yes, what?

the latter.

Out of curiosity, do yo actually know the answer to MY question?

I do and I have answered it. Your spelling checker is on the blink.

I admit to a certain denseness, but I don't see how the power to
sack the commissioners addresses the question of whether the
parliament can originate legislation.

Lets try again.
You asked "Does the Eruoepan parliament simply approve things, or does
it have the poer to originate them?

I answered Yes. ....
and then you aksed "Yes, what?"
and I answered "the latter".

Ah. I was confused, and apparently confused others, because,
expecting everyone to read my mind, I was referring to
legislation.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
a.spencer3

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"nitram" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:24:10 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:29:39 +0200, nitram
wrote:

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:12:01 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

"John of Aix" wrote:

With the EU parliament, where else. Nothing, but nothing can be

passed
without the approval of ther EU parliament of which all the members

are
democratically elected.

It's not that simple. There are three centres of power: the
Commission, the Parliament, the Council of Ministers. All are linked
to democratic processes.

The commissioners are political appointees and are not elected.

I believe he means the commisioners are appointed by elected
officials, thus the appointment of commissioners is linked to
democratic processes, a tenuous link at best.

The commissioners are appointed by their respective member state and
approved by the MEPs. I do not consider this democratic. They are
sometimes failures from the national political system. Take Lord
Kinnock, for example.

Kinnock isn't too bad - but look at Meddlesome

Kinnock is a total turncoat.
He was often anti-Europe when in UK politics.
He's now on the gravy train and in the Lords!!
Admittedly Mandelson is even worse.

Surreyman
Hundreds of trivia quizzes on travel, geography and much else on
http://www.sploofus.com/?ref=surreyman

Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:13:58 +0100,
(chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco) wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:28:00 +0100,
(chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco) wrote:

[]
In the US case though, they do have to be approved by the Senate, who
are certainly elected.

The constitutional mandate is that the president appoints them
with the "advice and consent" of the Senate,

Though that can I suppose mean that they block a confirmation- a
relatively rare occurence, I think.

Not rare at all; it happens with some frequency. The very recent
crunch about the approval of some nominees for federal judgeships
is an example. And during the Clinton administration the
Republican-controlled Senate blocked a number of Clinton's
judicial nominees (a fact rather conveniently forgoten by the
Republicans in their recent complaints about Democratic threats
to block Bush's judicial appointments).

In general, though, the Senate rarely blocks a president's
choices for his cabinet on the theory that the cabinet should be
of the president's choice. However, at this time the Senate has
delayed confirmation of Bush's appointment of Bolton as
ambassador to the UN on the grounds that he is totally wrong for
the job, and eventual confimation does not seem to be assured.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:23:11 +0100,

Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:28:00 +0100,
(chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco) wrote:
[]
In the US case though, they do have to be approved by the Senate, who
are certainly elected.

The constitutional mandate is that the president appoints them
with the "advice and consent" of the Senate,

Though that can I suppose mean that they block a confirmation- a
relatively rare occurence, I think.

Not rare at all; it happens with some frequency.

[]

When was the last time a cabinet appointee was blocked? (I'm thinking
maybe one of Clinton's Surgeon General appointees, if that counts.)

The Surgeon General is not a cabinet member.

In general, it will become known that a cabinet nominee will not
be approved by the Senate well ahead of time and the president
will usually withdraw the nomination before the Senate gets a
chance to vote.

In general, though, the Senate rarely blocks a president's
choices for his cabinet on the theory that the cabinet should be
of the president's choice.

Indeed.

However, at this time the Senate has
delayed confirmation of Bush's appointment of Bolton as
ambassador to the UN on the grounds that he is totally wrong for
the job, and eventual confimation does not seem to be assured.

Is that considered part of the cabinet then?

Not really. Forgive me the ambiguity.