Why do Europeans Oppose Window Screens?

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Tom Peel

Wierd Travelers wrote:
Here in Germany(Rheinland-Pfalz and Hessen), most people sleep with the
windows open, even during the winter.
Also almost all windows have a complete system with built in metal
shutters(without as many holes) that roll up over the door way, and the
windows can be open all the way, or have a middle position when the top
part of the window tilts into the house. Do wish I could get thoses in
the US.

Personally I cannot stand those rolldown blinds. It makes me feel like
sleeping in a prison, even though 99% of German houses have them. When
we built our house, we amazed the neighbours by not having any.

Now, the question is: why do Americans oppose the Kippdrehfenster?
Not only do they not exist, there is not even a word in the English
language to describe them AFAIF. The Kippdrehfenster is a double glazed
window that can be either opened along the vertical hinge, like a door,
or a along a hinge at the bottom, to tilt.

T.

For the most part insects are rare so they screens are not really
needed, however I have seen a few houses with them built in, primarily
in the bedrooms. What you do find a little more often are screens with
sticky tape on them which can be purchased and placed on the outside.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:11 PM
spamfree

Second, screens do impede the circulation of air. You get a much
better breeze without them.

Maybe a 10% reduction. I do not define an extra 10% as "much
better." A little better, perhaps. I prefer less breeze and fewer bugs.

Pete

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:18 PM
george

Barbara Vaughan wrote:
the traditional wooden
shutters

Not having any shutters on our windows, I completely forgot about them.
Opening and closing the ones that swing out would be impossible with
screens on the outside, and you couldn't open the double-paned windows
themselves if they were on the inside. I also think that screens might
interfere with the other type of common shutters in Germany that are
slats that are raised and lowered in tracks, but screens might be
possible with this type. It probably would also be nice to have screen
doors

George.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Alan S

On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:10:42 +0200, nitram
wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:56:25 +1000, Alan S wrote:

As an aside, some other time I'll post a story on bugs in
Darwin. You call that a bug?...

"You can't play tennis in Wogga Wogga, the flies are bigger than the
ball" Italian friend after holiday in Oz.

Wagga: Crow
Wagga Wagga: place of many crows - and magpies, and flies,
and goannas, and yabbies, and happy memories of my Primary
School days ten miles out of town at Forest Hill.

Wog has other meanings here that your Italian friend would
not have appreciated. Similar to guinea in the USA, but
usually used as a friendly term of abuse these days.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:43 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:28:27 +0200, nitram wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:08:21 +0200, B wrote:

On 2 May 2005 22:38:50 -0700, "george" wrote:

Kevin wrote:
Windows screens are similar to a filter that blocks insects from
flying in
through the windws, yet allows vision outside and breeze inside.

Considering how many European hotels lack air conditioning, window
screens
would be useful in controlling mosquitoes access to sleeping quarters
without the guests stifling to death due to lack of air circulation.

I can't speak for all Europe, but I can give a little perspective on
my particular corner of Italy.

First, screens are ugly and would probably not be allowed in the
historical center of my town for aesthetic reasons: the only window
fixtures allowed, other than the glass, are the traditional wooden
shutters, painted green. Outside the historical center, the rules are
much more flexible, but screens are still perceived as ugly.

The screens are on the inside of the house and are not visible from
outside.

Not here. In places where wooden shutters are traditional (eg, Southern
Germany, Austria and northern Italy at least) windows tend to open
inwards. So in these places flyscreens are on the outside.

Anyway, have you seen the price of the things? Daylight robbery, guv!
--
Tim C.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:15:06 +0200, nitram wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:09:55 +0200, Tom Peel
wrote:

Now, the question is: why do Americans oppose the Kippdrehfenster?
Not only do they not exist, there is not even a word in the English
language to describe them AFAIF. The Kippdrehfenster is a double glazed
window that can be either opened along the vertical hinge, like a door,
or a along a hinge at the bottom, to tilt.

Did you ever get one in the intermediate position, where the whole
window tries to fall out?

Too often. :-)
--
Tim C.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
spamfree

Now, the question is: why do Americans oppose the Kippdrehfenster?

Because it is impossible to use screens with them. Most Americans
do not want flies, mosquitos, or moths inside the house.

As I understand it, this window tilts in at the top or swings like a door
outwards. If the window were designed to tilt in at the top or swing
like a door *inward*, then a screen might be used on the outside.

Not only do they not exist, there is not even a word in the English
language to describe them AFAIF.

Marvin Windows refers to them as Tilt Turn windows. See it at
http://homeowner.marvin.com/products...1D9EAD13661B2F
It appears that Marvin designed them to open inwards, both tilting in
and swinging in, so a screen could be used with them unless the hinges
allowing tilting get in the way. Marvin's website shows an option for an
interior screen, but that is impossible given Marvin's configuration
(perhaps the screen is actually exterior). I saw the original European
design in another American window manufacturer's catalog, but I
cannot remember their name right now.

Pete

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:49 PM
Jens Arne Maennig

Tom Peel wrote:

Personally I cannot stand those rolldown blinds. It makes me feel like
sleeping in a prison, even though 99% of German houses have them. When
we built our house, we amazed the neighbours by not having any.

It's already a certain sign of a diseased mind if the rolldown blinds
are not electrified :-) When I just rented a new house in Munich
suburbia, the real estate agent mentioned several times that the blinds
are equipped with wireless remote control as well as time switch in any
room. I didn't dare to tell him that I will never, never close them.

Now, the question is: why do Americans oppose the Kippdrehfenster?
Not only do they not exist, there is not even a word in the English
language to describe them AFAIF.

Try the more common expression Drehkippfenster (Google 15:14.100). The
very helpful book "Bautechnisches Englisch im Bild - Illustrated
Technical German for Builders" by Wilhelm K. Killer (ISBN 3762514771)
lists "tilt and turn window" for it.

Jens