Paris dilemma - comfort versus location

Old June 1st, 2005, 10:56 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Mxsmanic wrote:

[]
You'll definitely want a hotel with air conditioning in August,
otherwise you may not even be able to sleep at night.

I've been in Paris twice in August, once during the annus horribilis you
keep harping on about. I didn't use air conditioning, and I slept fine.
Then again, in both cases, I made sure I had rooms not overlooking busy
streets- noise can certainly be an issue- as is the case anywhere.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Mxsmanic

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco
writes:

I've been in Paris twice in August, once during the annus horribilis you
keep harping on about. I didn't use air conditioning, and I slept fine.
Then again, in both cases, I made sure I had rooms not overlooking busy
streets- noise can certainly be an issue- as is the case anywhere.

I've had a number of clients who simply could not sleep in the heat
without air conditioning, and had to change hotels to escape it (by
moving to a hotel with air conditioning).

The hot season continues to expand, and these days I'd say that anyone
visiting between May and October really should consider a hotel with air
conditioning, just to be on the safe side. Keep in mind that most
Parisian dwellings are designed to work like greenhouses to trap and
hold heat, so if they are not air conditioned, they turn into sweatboxes
at the slightest approach of warm weather.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:37 AM
Mxsmanic

nitram writes:

I've holidayed and worked in Paris in August. I don't recollect it
being bad. It's a good time for a holiday, it's emptier than normal.

In years that are _seasonably warm_, it's potentially tolerable. That
means temperatures that never rise above 24° C and descend as low as 14°
C during the night. However, the months of August haven't been that
cool in years, and these days the city is uncomfortably hot during July
and August (and increasingly outside these periods as well).

(It's interesting to note that even the cool weather described above has
traditionally been considered uncomfortably hot by Parisians, which is
why they historically have preferred to go on vacation in July and
August. Now, of course, it's uncomfortably hot for everyone.)

Nowadays, what used to be the hottest weather of summer is increasingly
spreading to May or June, and to September and October, and July and
August are becoming unbearable. Air conditioning is no longer an
option.

Suffering through nights so hot that one cannot sleep is no way to spend
a vacation. Find a hotel with air conditioning so that your vacation
isn't ruined by a lack of sleep and comfort.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:36 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Mxsmanic wrote:

[]
The hot season continues to expand, and these days I'd say that anyone
visiting between May and October really should consider a hotel with air
conditioning, just to be on the safe side. Keep in mind that most
Parisian dwellings are designed to work like greenhouses to trap and
hold heat, so if they are not air conditioned, they turn into sweatboxes
at the slightest approach of warm weather.

It was hot both times I was there in August- I slept fine. I've been in
September, when it was pleasant but quite cool, and once in early
October, when it was miserable, drizzly and cool the whole time. Paris
doesn't really have a reputation as a city where aircon in the hotel is
indispensable. Where I concede it would be useful is if you're on a
particularly noisy street.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Mxsmanic

writes:

Paris doesn't really have a reputation as a city where aircon in the hotel is
indispensable.

It hasn't been such a city in the past, but it will be in the future.
The climate is changing, and it seems to be changing quite rapidly.