Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Old January 11th, 2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Juliana L Holm writes:

DDT Filled Mormons wrote:

I know a few people teaching here in Italy, and they do just
fine. You also need to be mother-tongue English too if you want to
have a chance. Actually, none of the guys I know even have their
TEFL certificate I don't think! The most important thing seems to
be being presentable, and having the right bits of paper to work.

I thought TEFL by definition meant not mother tongue English? But I
may be wrong, so please educate me.

TEFL means _teaching_ English as a foreign langwidge. It is the
_students_ who are expected not to be native speakers; it is a plus if
the _teacher_ is. (Unless it's Mixi, of course.)

--
Julie
**********

The English columns are wider and (so) the German columns are longer.
Is this part of a cunning plan?

Des
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Des Small wrote:

Juliana L Holm writes:

DDT Filled Mormons wrote:

I know a few people teaching here in Italy, and they do just
fine. You also need to be mother-tongue English too if you want to
have a chance. Actually, none of the guys I know even have their
TEFL certificate I don't think! The most important thing seems to
be being presentable, and having the right bits of paper to work.

I thought TEFL by definition meant not mother tongue English? But I
may be wrong, so please educate me.

TEFL means _teaching_ English as a foreign langwidge. It is the
_students_ who are expected not to be native speakers; it is a plus if
the _teacher_ is. (Unless it's Mixi, of course.)

Mixi is trained in the tones though!

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tim C. writes:

Not the ones I knew.

I know a great many, and if they are working any significant number of
hours in ESL/EFL, any additional income usually comes from a working
partner. Those who do ESL/EFL part-time may work at other jobs as
well.

Old January 11th, 2006, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

Of course there is, but how can you give an absolute ('no such thing')
for something subjective- i.e. 'well-paid.'

Well, I have yet to meet a well-paid teacher.

How much, per hour, do you consider 'well-paid.'

Above 200 euro per hour would be a start.

Old January 11th, 2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Earl Evleth writes:

Top American Universities often ask their star profs to teach
one course a semester, about 3 lecture hours per week. A full
Prof gets over $100,000 a year!

How many "star profs" are there in the United States?

At the other end of scale, lower level US colleges hire a lot
of "adjunct professors" at poverty wages.

What percentage of instruction in the U.S. is dispensed by star profs,
and what percentage is dispensed by everyone else?

Old January 11th, 2006, 03:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

Of course there is, but how can you give an absolute ('no such thing')
for something subjective- i.e. 'well-paid.'

Well, I have yet to meet a well-paid teacher.

I think we've ascertained you don't get out much.

How much, per hour, do you consider 'well-paid.'

Above 200 euro per hour would be a start.

At least you gave a straight answer- even if it's utter crap. If that's
what you consider well-paid, you must consider your own situation barely
living.

Old January 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mxsmanic" kirjoitti
om...
David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

Of course there is, but how can you give an absolute ('no such thing')
for something subjective- i.e. 'well-paid.'

Well, I have yet to meet a well-paid teacher.

How much, per hour, do you consider 'well-paid.'

Above 200 euro per hour would be a start.

You haven't seen 200 euros in your life.

Old January 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

I think we've ascertained you don't get out much.

I spend a great deal of time in a school surrounded by ESL/EFL
teachers.

At least you gave a straight answer- even if it's utter crap. If that's
what you consider well-paid, you must consider your own situation barely
living.

That is exactly the case.

Old January 11th, 2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

I think we've ascertained you don't get out much.

I spend a great deal of time in a school surrounded by ESL/EFL
teachers.

You've already claimed that _they_ weren't well-paid, so your claim that
"Well, I have yet to meet a well-paid teacher" has a certain currency.

At least you gave a straight answer- even if it's utter crap. If that's
what you consider well-paid, you must consider your own situation barely
living.

That is exactly the case.

I consider myself well paid.

Old January 11th, 2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Mxsmanic :

Well, I have yet to meet a well-paid teacher.

Which is proof that there are none, obviously.
--
Tim C.