Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Old January 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Martin writes:

You need something to occupy you that earns money for the other 20
hours most people work a week.

I already am occupied during that time, but I'm not paid for those
hours.

Old January 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Des Small wrote:
I thought TEFL by definition meant not mother tongue English? But I
may be wrong, so please educate me.

TEFL means _teaching_ English as a foreign langwidge. It is the
_students_ who are expected not to be native speakers; it is a plus if
the _teacher_ is. (Unless it's Mixi, of course.)

Ah. There is also a test, here in the US called TEFL, which means "Test of
English as a Foreign Language" which is for non-native speakers who want to
become, for example, teachers. That TEFL is not the same as this TEFL, I guess.

--
Julie
**********
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:53:17 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
wrote:

Des Small wrote:
I thought TEFL by definition meant not mother tongue English? But I
may be wrong, so please educate me.

TEFL means _teaching_ English as a foreign langwidge. It is the
_students_ who are expected not to be native speakers; it is a plus if
the _teacher_ is. (Unless it's Mixi, of course.)

Ah. There is also a test, here in the US called TEFL, which means "Test of
English as a Foreign Language" which is for non-native speakers who want to
become, for example, teachers. That TEFL is not the same as this TEFL, I guess.

No that's TOEFL.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:59:05 +0100, Earl Evleth
wrote:

Note that off-scale salaries might not cost the University anything.
If a top research has lots of research grants, the University will
collect enough in "overhead" on the grant to pay for the extra-pay.
I don't know what overhead rates are now in the US but 20% is not
excessive. 20% on a million dollars of grants per year would
be $200,000. So upping the pay by $50,000 is a way to keep the star
at a particular University. The net profit is still $150,000.

Virtually everything you say applies only to science faculties.
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:28:08 +0100, DDT Filled Mormons
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:35:06 +0100, B wrote:

On 10 Jan 2006 14:34:55 -0800, "flyingdutchman"
wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if it is feasible to teach English in Europe with only
a college diploma and a TEFL certificate. I also have a EU passport.

Any suggestions would be great!!

In Italy, those qualifications might get you a job in a private
language instruction school, but the pay is really miserable.

In your parts, how much per hour would you expect to get? Here it's 12
- 18 Euro/hr. If you can land 20 hours a week, that's not a miserable
income.

I don't remember; it's been a while since I inquired. I remember that
it was about half what I was charging private students, which is less
than half what people charged for private lessons in the US.

I've found much better paid work doing consulting for an institute in
the US and in my spare time I work in my husband's studio. He pays in
kind.
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin writes:

Occupied working?

Sometimes, but often it is dead time between classes.

Old January 12th, 2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Panty hose survey time!

You might even have time to complete writing your sequel to that
infamous work by Philip Roth...

Tim K

Old January 12th, 2006, 07:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:15:45 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Translation usually pays very poorly, too, although that depends a lot
on the language and the translator's subject specialties.

Often in the region of €150 per 1000 words. For quality work, that's a
poor rate.

You can translate 1000 words in a couple of hours. Pretty good money
really. It would certainly help pay for a nicer apartment in somewhere
like Paris.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:34:35 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

DDT Filled Mormons writes:

Utter bull****. The in between times can be used to do other jobs,
such as translation. This can be a good combination and result in a
reasonable income if you do it right.

Translation usually pays very poorly, too, although that depends a lot
on the language and the translator's subject specialties.

If you just rely on teaching, you are just plain useless.

I'll be sure to tell all the teachers I know how useless their lives
have been.

Good, I often have. Even at university I saw a teacher doing network
administration and making heaps of money doing it. The teaching was
merely a sideline.

Speaking English is a veritable cash cow if you know what you're
doing.

What's the magic word, then?

"Try"
--
---
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:35:11 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

DDT Filled Mormons writes:

Perhaps you should have had a burger instead and done something wise
with the rest.

Few French restaurants serve hamburgers.

Where is the connection between what I wrote and what you replied
with?
--
---