They're at it in Crete too.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
BP killed my turtle

Default They're at it in Crete too.

On May 23, 3:08*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On May 23, 2:39*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 23, 12:45*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 23, 12:36*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 23, 10:31*am, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 23, 8:19*am, BP killed my turtle
wrote: On May 22, 9:13*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

snippy

Cautiously succinctly expressed. But easier said than done.

Put it this way, *I popped along here into Usenet Street *and in
posting this thread I have in effect approached everybody.. What's
more, though not Greek, I did so bearing the Gifts of information and
opportunity/excuse to converse.

Not everyone has avoided me.

A holiday, such as what I've just had, is a feast of freedom and
borrowing the phrase "we are what we eat" feasting of freedom lends us
to living more freely and, I suspect, even free from a conscious sense
of freedom. So when approached, as we were, the under current sense of
freedom expressed itself *thus, like someone whispering in your ear
saying... ooh go on, listen, check it out, you'll be doing him a
favour, you're free to walk away any time you want.

Trouble is, the same undercurrent, which is the real Trojan Horse at
work here expresses itself in the same way as each greater step of
risk is encountered. And that's why I think (though making it up as I
go along) is why some people get duped, other than those who are
tortured into it through tedium, hunger, thirst or as one couple I've
since read about, the woman was diabetic, became ill as a consequence
of all the missed meal delays, but the scammers still wouldn't let
them go until the husband signed on the dotted line.

going on holiday is no excuse for unplugging your brain....

I'm not sure what you're saying with that generalisation.

If you're in Greece and get approached by someone speaking Dutch,
asking if perhaps you are Dutch, but you're not and don't speak a word
of it and subsequently haven't understood a word... the fact that you
simply continue on your way with hardly a shrug does not amount to
evidence *that you've kept your brain plugged in.

Equally, if,say you're English and get approached my someone with a
British accent enquiring if you're English, running away like your
scared of your own shadow doesn't mean your brain is plugged in any
more than taking a moment to engage in line with all the traditions of
your upbringing means you've unplugged your brain.

would you have done this in your own country ?

Hmm, I'm unsure what you mean by my "own country"

you dont know where you live ?!

I don't own a country. I know where I live but when locals ask me
where I'm from, they're not usually asking for my current address.
Beyond that it's a matter of working out do they mean my nationality,
or where I've lived the most, or most recently, (as in where have I
travelled from).

so there are 2 solutions, say nothing, or just bore the scammers into
submission as you are doing to me

ps zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Awww. And just when I was wondering why someone advocating wariness
had not mentioned the one thing that had occurred to me as a bit odd
the moment the street guy mentioned promoting Greece and Crete.
Why approach tourists already there?

Now if you'd just sign here... and here... and (turns page) here,
here, and there and that'll be all.

(OK, so I'm making up that bit cos we never got that far)

Oh and by the way here is your free holiday voucher containing no less
than 5 options ranging from you having to pay a nominal sum to cover
travel taxes, insurance and so forth, to the option where you get a
generous discount on the resort, flights and so on.
Of course, regardless of which option you choose, and you have 18
months to avail of this offer, once you have informed us which one it
is, we will choose when you can go within a 15 to 65 day period of our
choosing.
We will also choose where you get to go, how you will get there and
from where your main border point of departure will be (no matter how
unrealistic or inconvenient it may be for you).
lastly, please note that whereas we have between 15 and 65 days to
decide your fate, you have just 36 hours to inform us of your decision
to accept or not, BUT, you must inform us of your decision by phone
AND registered post.
Failure to do so in that time (no excuses) will not only mean that you
forfeit your free holiday, but you will be liable for the entire cost
of cancellation

(I don't actually understand what precisely is meant by "entire cost
of cancellation", it might be the cost of a few phone calls, or bits
of admin, or the cost of accommodation, travel etc.)

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

....and now you're just wasting my time....what are you trying to sell
again ?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 23, 3:53*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:
On May 23, 3:08*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 23, 2:39*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 23, 12:45*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 23, 12:36*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sell? nah, you've got that all wrong ... my friend.... I merely came
extending the gift of information and chance to chatter for anyone as
might wish to chomp on either.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
BP killed my turtle

On May 23, 4:04*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On May 23, 3:53*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 23, 3:08*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 23, 2:39*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 23, 12:45*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 23, 12:36*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

theres a duchess of yawk joke in here somehwere...
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sat, 22 May 2010 11:12:48 +0100 schrieb Andy Pandy:

Worst place we went to for this was Gran Canaria in the early 90's -
they were *everywhere*, on the beach, in the shopping centres, down
quiet streets, and ignoring them didn't work, they'd follow you down
the street. Apparently they got paid £50 for every couple they got
along to the presentations, regardless of whether they signed up!

Yes, I remember that. They had those guys speaking many different
languages, and at times I tried to fool them saying I didn't understand
their language. When they asked where I come from I would say "Russki" or
something like that, but in the end they came up with someone who actually
spoke russian ;-)

Regards,

Frank
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On 25 May, 09:44, Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:
Am Sat, 22 May 2010 11:12:48 +0100 schrieb Andy Pandy:

Worst place we went to for this was Gran Canaria in the early 90's -
they were *everywhere*, on the beach, in the shopping centres, down
quiet streets, and ignoring them didn't work, they'd follow you down
the street. Apparently they got paid £50 for every couple they got
along to the presentations, regardless of whether they signed up!

Yes, I remember that. They had those guys speaking many different
languages, and at times I tried to fool them saying I didn't understand
their language. When they asked where I come from I would say "Russki" or
something like that, but in the end they came up with someone who actually
spoke russian ;-)

Regards,

Frank

I use Welsh, Hasn't failed yet.