Transferring from Blue L-train to Purple. or Pink, train with luggage.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

Default Transferring from Blue L-train to Purple. or Pink, train with luggage.

Hey all

I am looking for an inexpensive transportation option from O'Hare
Airport to a hotel in the Chicago Loop (La Quinta Inn and Suites
Downtown Chicago). I used the L-train a few years back from Midway,
but did not have to have to change trains. Just wondering how easy it
is to transfer between lines with at least one wheeled carryon. Also
wondering if I should get off at State and Lake then get a cab.

Thanks
Michael
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Michael Grahm:
I am looking for an inexpensive transportation option from O'Hare
Airport to a hotel in the Chicago Loop (La Quinta Inn and Suites
Downtown Chicago). I used the L-train a few years back from Midway,
but did not have to have to change trains. Just wondering how easy it
is to transfer between lines with at least one wheeled carryon. Also
wondering if I should get off at State and Lake then get a cab.

The CTA Blue Line, from O'Hare, runs under Dearborn St. downtown; it's
the Red Line that runs under State. If you want to change, you do it
at Clark/Lake station, not State/Lake. The CTA says the Clark/Lake is
is wheelchair-accessible, so there must be elevators between the subway
and elevated platforms, but I don't remember how convenient the layout is.

On the other hand, if you stay on the Blue Line another stop or two to
Washington/Dearborn or Monroe/Dearborn, you have only 1,500 feet or so
to walk to the hotel. (South or north to Madison, then west. It may
be possible to do the north-south bit of the walk within the subway, as
the two stations are actually connected by a continuous platform allowing
access to exits in between. If you prefer a cab, due to one-way streets
Monroe/Dearborn would give the shortest ride.) You might be taking stairs
to the surface, but the subway isn't terribly deep.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You keep using that word. I do not think it means

Old February 5th, 2011, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

On Feb 4, 4:04*am, (Mark Brader) wrote:
Michael Grahm:

[...]

Thanks for the reply

Michael
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

This is just a follow-up to my previous post. I contacted the CTA by
email and while their reply does not specifically state that the Clark/
Lake station has an elevator it does tell me to use the supplied link
for accessible stations. This indirectly implies the stations listed,
as accessible, as having an elevator.

Michael