How to Travel Dali - Kunming?

Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

Default How to Travel Dali - Kunming?

I'm planning a trip to Yunnan province, China, and am wondering how to
go between Dali and Kunming. Most of the tours use air, but we may
have a car and driver in Dali and it might be simpler just to get them
to drive us. Does that make any sense?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Saudades

Walt Bilofsky wrote:
I'm planning a trip to Yunnan province, China, and am wondering how to
go between Dali and Kunming. Most of the tours use air, but we may
have a car and driver in Dali and it might be simpler just to get them
to drive us. Does that make any sense?

no worries. there are frequent departures to and from both places.
easy as pie doing it on your own. however, if you have asthma and money
to burn you might want to arrange your own transport as smoking is
notorious.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Walt Bilofsky
says...
I'm planning a trip to Yunnan province, China, and am wondering how to
go between Dali and Kunming. Most of the tours use air, but we may
have a car and driver in Dali and it might be simpler just to get them
to drive us. Does that make any sense?

Flights between Dali and Kunming are cheap and plentiful. I'd take a
flight, instead of spending hours in a car.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

Hi, Alfred -

Thanks for your reply. I always appreciate your sharing your vast
experience of Asia.

Here's what I was thinking. We will probably have a bunch of luggage
(if the shopping is good) and we both get motion sickness, so if we
fly I'd probably take a pill and be zonked. By the time we get to the
airport (18 miles north of Dali) an hour and a half before the flight,
wait for the plane, wait for the likely delays, get off, get our
baggage, get ground transportation - we've invested between three and
four hours. A car would take four or five hours. And there might be
something to see en route.

What do you think?

Regards,

Walt

Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Walt Bilofsky
says...

Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Walt Bilofsky
says...

Here's what I was thinking. We will probably have a bunch of luggage
(if the shopping is good) and we both get motion sickness, so if we
fly I'd probably take a pill and be zonked. By the time we get to the
airport (18 miles north of Dali) an hour and a half before the flight,
wait for the plane, wait for the likely delays, get off, get our
baggage, get ground transportation - we've invested between three and
four hours. A car would take four or five hours. And there might be
something to see en route.

If you suffer from motion sickness, it is better if you fly, because the
road between Dali and Kunming passes through the mountains. By the way,
the airport is south of Dali in Xiaguan.

It is sufficient to be at the airport one hour before and Chinese
flights usually are on time. Also, according to the LP the bus trip
between Kunming and Dali takes eight hours. A car will likely be faster,
but the trip might still take six hours.

In any case, it all depends on how you like to travel. There are people
who prefer to fly, others who prefer to travel overland.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

Alfred Molon wrote:

Also, according to the LP the bus trip
between Kunming and Dali takes eight hours. A car will likely be faster,
but the trip might still take six hours.

Alfred, is that an old LP?

My '06 Frommer's says there is a new expressway and it takes 4-5 hours
by bus. I don't believe the 4 hours, but he web site at
http://www.sinohotelguide.com/kunming/tour/trans.html lists most
busses as 5 or 6 hours, although there is a sleeper for 9 hours. Also
a discussion at lonelyplanet.com confirms 5 hours by bus.

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...&iCountryId=84
Best regards,

Walt
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:04 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Walt Bilofsky
says...

Alfred, is that an old LP?

Yes.

My '06 Frommer's says there is a new expressway and it takes 4-5 hours
by bus. I don't believe the 4 hours, but he web site at
http://www.sinohotelguide.com/kunming/tour/trans.html lists most
busses as 5 or 6 hours, although there is a sleeper for 9 hours. Also
a discussion at lonelyplanet.com confirms 5 hours by bus.

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...&iCountryId=84

Interesting. How fast things change in China. This is a country
developing at "Shenzhen speed".
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Maus

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Walt Bilofsky
says...

Alfred, is that an old LP?

Yes.

My '06 Frommer's says there is a new expressway and it takes 4-5 hours
by bus. I don't believe the 4 hours, but he web site at
http://www.sinohotelguide.com/kunming/tour/trans.html lists most
busses as 5 or 6 hours, although there is a sleeper for 9 hours. Also
a discussion at lonelyplanet.com confirms 5 hours by bus.

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...&iCountryId=84

Interesting. How fast things change in China. This is a country
developing at "Shenzhen speed".
--

Alfred Molon

Went last year from Kunming to Dali by bus, was indeed approx 5
hours.Depends on the bus you take. The road is really good, with less curves
than the road from Dali to Yangshuo, which is quite bad if your suffering
from motionsickness. It looks like it was a new highway with no traffic at
all on it, which is quite strange..

Maus