Photos from Western Australia and NT

Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:53 PM
Petra

Ken Pisichko wrote in :

Petra wrote:

Wonderful photos and great descriptions. Not every visitor takes the
time to look closely at the flora and fauna - well done.

Next year I plan a bicycle trip along the Savannah Way: Cairns -
Normantown - Booroola-Nathan River Rd - Mataranka - Darwin. Lots of
chances to stop, think, take photos. Should be enough different flora
and occasional beasts to "see". I am now wondering about camera(s) to
take. Even though it is really convenient (point and click 1.4 megpix)
I never liked my digital camera but always liked my old 35 mm SLRs.

Suggestions as to film? Now that the medium format used cameras are
getting really cheap (aka inexpensive) with excellent macro/telephoto
lenses, I am wondering if I should take one of those. I will be
dragging a BOB Ibex along this "self-sustaining" July August '06 trip
so several extra kg won't be that much of a hassle - I will have at
least 6 weeks to travel about 2300 km.
.
Ken

We're going to travel (i.e. an organised tour) from Cairns to Darwin in
a couple of years, but certainly not the northern edge of the country,
where no decent road exists. Biking might be different.

As for camera selection I'd forget the film type - yes, I used to really
like it too - but the digitals now are excellent and you can get 4-6
*gig* storage drives. I'd think about a 5-6 megapixel Canon. We had a 5
megapixel Canon (G5), basically point and shoot, for our trip and got
some exquisite stuff several examples of which are now on our living
room wall (3x2 metres, huge! and beautiful)

Otherwise it's a hundred or so rolls of film (which equals the cost of a
used digital camera :-)

Petra
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
M.J.T. Bremen

Hi Ken,

I agree to what Petra advices you. I took a Canon D10 with seperate lenses
but for your trip a compact digital camera with about 5 million megapixel
will definitely do the job. Just look after a good lens with a decent
optical zoom because it's the quality of the lense that matters. So
preferably a glass lens instead of a plastic one and Canon or Nikon indeed
has some decent lenses on their compact digital camera's which don't have to
cost a fortune. I bought a X's-Drive Pro (VP-3310) from Vosonic with a 40 GB
harddisk to copy my 256 mb CompactFlash cards during this Australia trip. I
advice not to buy 1GB or 2 GB memorycards for your camera because if
something goes wrong you loose a lot of pictures. If you use small ones you
still can take about 100 pictures a card but if something goes wrong you
don't loose too much. I have 3 memory cards of 256 MB and this one X's-Drive
which did a great job.

Take care and have a wonderful trip,

Mark Bremen
Holland