Gold Coast Floods

Old July 5th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Kent Smith

Default Gold Coast Floods

What's this region like as holiday destination at the moment? I suspect
flooding was in isolated areas as all hotels I rang say it's all cleaned up
now. But then, they would say that wouldn't they. Any first hand
independent experiences to confirm this?

Thanks

-KENT

Old July 5th, 2005, 06:13 AM
A Mate

It was very localised flooding which affected only low lying creekside
suburbs and facilities (Coolangatta Airport is right beside Pigabeen Creek).
It did result in some road closures as high tide coincided with heavy (1 in
1000 year rainfalls) bucketing, rain. But everything is well back to normal
now!

Old July 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Alan S

"Kent Smith" wrote in message
What's this region like as holiday destination at the moment? I suspect
flooding was in isolated areas as all hotels I rang say it's all cleaned
up
now. But then, they would say that wouldn't they. Any first hand
independent experiences to confirm this?

Thanks

-KENT

Hi Kent

The floods have all cleared except for casual water in some
low-lying areas and canefields. I drove today from
Pottsville (home) to Broadbeach via the inland freeway and
returned via the coastal highway - no problems anywhere,
business as usual.

It was a problem for two days only while we were cut off;
the airport was closed for only one day. My creek stopped
about 60cm (2') below the level needed to wet the floor:-)

No worries - come on out:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Kent Smith

"Kent Smith" wrote in message
What's this region like as holiday destination at the moment? I
suspect flooding was in isolated areas as all hotels I rang say
it's all cleaned up
now. But then, they would say that wouldn't they. Any first
hand independent experiences to confirm this?

Thanks

-KENT

Hi Kent

The floods have all cleared except for casual water in some
low-lying areas and canefields. I drove today from
Pottsville (home) to Broadbeach via the inland freeway and
returned via the coastal highway - no problems anywhere,
business as usual.

It was a problem for two days only while we were cut off;
the airport was closed for only one day. My creek stopped
about 60cm (2') below the level needed to wet the floor:-)

No worries - come on out:-)

That's good to know, we almost change our minds. We listened intently to
the media for the extent of the incident but it was mysteriously excluded
from all reports (including Australian ones). Pretty poor really. Maybe
over sensationalised. They made it sound like it had been washed away
completely.

Thanks

-KENT

Old July 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Alan S

"Kent Smith" wrote in message
[...]

It was pretty dramatic at the time, and there are still a
few houses likely to fall off a hill-side, but we're fairly
resilient he-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:12 AM
A Mate

Lotta' Drama Queens on the Gold Coast. They love to have the 'biggest' -
'most expensive' - 'most exclusive' etc etc etc

It was an extraordinary fall of rain for 12 hours - but permanent damage was
very limited. One unfortunate couple were drowned when they drove into a
flooded creek crossing.

Everything is now back to normal!