California: Southern, Central, Northern?

Old February 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Default California: Southern, Central, Northern?

I'm trying to download some 1:24000 topo maps for use in my mapping
program, Memory-Map. But their digital map shop interface is a masterpiece
of poor design. One (relatively minor) problem is that it splits
California into three separate maps: Southern, Central and Northern. But
doesn't provide any outline maps or definitions.

Are these formally recognised areas? If so, could someone point me to a
map clearly showing the boundaries please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:06:34 +0000, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

I'm trying to download some 1:24000 topo maps for use in my mapping
program, Memory-Map. But their digital map shop interface is a masterpiece
of poor design. One (relatively minor) problem is that it splits
California into three separate maps: Southern, Central and Northern. But
doesn't provide any outline maps or definitions.

Are these formally recognised areas? If so, could someone point me to a
map clearly showing the boundaries please?

Terry, I was born in California and have lived most of my life here,
and I regret to inform you that there is no standardized approach.
Some mapmakers seem to draw arbitrary lines, sometimes straight
geometrics and other times roughly following natural lines like
mountains. FWIW some of our major metropolitan areas are likewise
divided (albeit in the interest of providing greater detail).

You might get a rough idea of the divisions if you compare your
Memory-Map with some of the Google maps (which I generally find very
useful).
--
Don Kirkman

Old February 1st, 2011, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:06:34 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm trying to download some 1:24000 topo maps for use in my mapping
program, Memory-Map. But their digital map shop interface is a
masterpiece of poor design. One (relatively minor) problem is that it
splits California into three separate maps: Southern, Central and
Northern. But doesn't provide any outline maps or definitions.

Are these formally recognised areas? If so, could someone point me to a
map clearly showing the boundaries please?

I'm pretty sure that's the USGS breakdown for the purposes of the index
maps that show the topo sheets available. These index maps can be bedsheet
sized for the large western states, so a breakdown is almost a necessity.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Arizona, out where the cacti grow
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

David Hatunen wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:06:34 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm trying to download some 1:24000 topo maps for use in my mapping
program, Memory-Map. But their digital map shop interface is a
masterpiece of poor design. One (relatively minor) problem is that it
splits California into three separate maps: Southern, Central and
Northern. But doesn't provide any outline maps or definitions.

Are these formally recognised areas? If so, could someone point me to a
map clearly showing the boundaries please?

I'm pretty sure that's the USGS breakdown for the purposes of the index
maps that show the topo sheets available. These index maps can be bedsheet
sized for the large western states, so a breakdown is almost a necessity.

Thanks all. I persuaded Memory-Map support to prepare a set of routes
outlining the respective sections. In case you're curious, I've shown
these in this screenshot. As you surmised, Don, it looks an arbitrary
choice, not an 'official' one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Cali...Boundaries.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Feb 1, 2:06*am, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm trying to download some 1:24000 topo maps for use in my mapping
program, Memory-Map. But their digital map shop interface is a masterpiece
of poor design. One (relatively minor) problem is that it splits
California into *three separate maps: Southern, Central and Northern. But
doesn't provide any outline maps or definitions.

Are these formally recognised areas? If so, could someone point me to a
map clearly showing the boundaries please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

There is an official line separating northern and southern
California. But I don't know of one that separates out central
California.