San Antonio, Texas... Suggestions.

Old January 4th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Ryan

Default San Antonio, Texas... Suggestions.

Hi,

We have been toying with the idea of going to see the San Antonio Texas
area for about a year. We saw a bit of a "Riverwalk" area with canal on
TV and we are always fans of SeaWorld and have never been to that one.

We have been told there is not enough to see for a week-long vacation,
but we are thinking of building a trip around a very long weekend
(Friday - Tuesday).

Where are the "must see" places? Should we be taking more time that the
above?

Just curious for ideas. Thanks!

Old January 4th, 2005, 07:39 PM
TeeJay

If you wanted to make it a week and had transportation and any interest,
there are some lovely little towns in the Hill Country that are fun to
visit. Fredericksburg, Wimberley and Comfort come to mind. Lots of great
B&Bs and German food in the area.

ups.com...

Old January 5th, 2005, 02:21 AM
janerene

I love San Antonio. Besides seeing the Alamo, be sure to see the other
missions there. They are all operated by the Parks Dept. and offer free
tours. Several of the missions still have churches that have regular
services. If you can catch a Mexican Rodeo, don't miss it. It is different
than the American style rodeos. Wonderful horsemanship. The Riverwalk is
beautiful. Take a river barge trip on the San Antonio River. There are all
kinds of little restaurants, boutiques, shops, hotels, etc. along the river.
If possible, go in April during a week long Fiesta celebration they have.
There are several parades that are nothing short of spectacular. The night
time parade features lots of lights. Even the band members sport lights up
and down their arms and legs. Night in Old San Antone (NIOSA) is great fun.
That goes on around the same time. Lots of good food, music, street
dancing, and fun. Hemisfair Plaza is downtown. La Villita is right there
also. Lots of little artsy tourist shops. Go see the IMAX production of
The Alamo. Then go see the real deal. Get in on a free tour offered there.
Sea World is close by. So is Fiesta Texas, which is kind of like a Six
Flags. The King William district is a beautiful place to walk around and
see gorgeous houses and manicured yards. The Witte Museum is really nice.
There are a lot of hands-on activities for kids there, as well. Natural
Bridge Caverns are close by, and are quite awesome. Of course, there are a
number of Air Force Bases around and Ft. Sam Houston. Fantastic Mexican
food. That should get you started.... Jane

Old January 5th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Natali

MAy be you find this flights search engine useful
http://www.friends-in-kiev.com/airline-tickets.shtml

Old January 7th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Jeremy

janerene wrote:

The Riverwalk is
beautiful. Take a river barge trip on the San Antonio River. There are all
kinds of little restaurants, boutiques, shops, hotels, etc. along the river.

The riverwalk is probably the highest concentration of homogeneous and
mediocre eateries in any city in the USA. There are about five great
places to eat just off the Riverwalk and only one on it, the rest are
the equivalent of White Castle with table cloths and silverware.

JJ

Old January 26th, 2005, 05:46 AM
scribit

Janerene's post is great! She suggested most all the things I would suggest
... I live 8 mi from Natural Bridge Caverns, which has nice picnic grounds
and a sluice for children to "pan for gold and jewels" (warm weather).
Next door to NBC is the Wildlife Animal Park, not to be confused with the
Riverwalk on Saturday nights. (just kidding) ))
Right on up I-35 another 11 miles is New Braunfels, a cool little Germanic
community with a wonderful old park. The Comal River springs from the
hillsides in the park, and were central to Native American livelihood,
then a mission, then the German settlers.
And Schlitterbahn is in New Braunfels! The largest private waterpark in
the U.S.- great fun. And if that's too tame, tubing on the whitewater of
the Guadalupe River (or the gentler Comal) is in the same area.
There's WAY too much to do in just one long weekend ... I didn't even
mention the Coast.
Come and fall in love, like we did. San Antonio is not a beautiful city
at first glance ... you have to experience the Riverwalk, the old parks,
and the Hill Country and the wonderful people to become a believer.
Ya'll come!