Driving from Phila. to Jacksonville

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

Default Driving from Phila. to Jacksonville

Hi everyone;

I have to attend a business meeting in Jacksonville, FL on Feb. 20th. I
have to be there at 8:00am. The meeting will run all day. I intend to
extend my stay in Florida to a full week for some R&R and to visit
family who live in Vero Beach.

As it happens, I bought a new Toyota Prius last week and I have a ton of
unused vacation time from my job. I am thinking of driving down to
Florida in my Prius instead of flying for two reasons. First, to use up
some of my vacation time, and second to enjoy some sights along the way.

I figure that gas ought to run me around $240 round trip, which is going
to be less than air fare. I intend to take a tent with me and maybe do a
bit of camping in Florida, just for a night or two.

On thing I am not sure about is the timing. Since my meeting in
Jacksonville is on the 20th, I should get there on the 19th. I also want
to have some time to look around Jacksonville because I have never been
there before. I also need one night to relax before this meeting, then I
plan to leave for Vero Beach on the 21st. My employer will pay for the
hotel in Jacksonville for the two nights.

On the way to Florida, I want to stop in Washington DC for a few hours
to see the Smithsonian American History Museum. Then I am looking for
suggestions on scenic rest stops or maybe an interesting town en route
where I can stop for one night to sleep, but also just to see what there
is to see there and shoot some photos (I am an avid photographer).

If time allows, I would like to visit with a friend who lives in
Atlanta.

So, when would just suggest I leave Philly? So I can get to Jacksonville
by, say the afternoon of the 19th, and have a night somewhere en route
with a few daylight hours upon arrival to shoot some photos (and where)?

Also, on my way home to Philly from Vero Beach, where can I find a clean
and cheap hotel, preferably with something interesting (beach, city,
etc.) to shoot photos of for a few hours?