Ummm.........

Old January 6th, 2013, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Delphi, Greece Top Three Travel Experiences? Ummm.........

On 2013-01-06 12:53:32 -0600, Poetic Justice said:

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

I like the cool overcastness of the British
Isles.Which is a problem for me since I am also
a fan of ancient Greek ruins, and Greece
is the antithesis of the British Isles.

Try Delphi in January.

I arrived mid-week the afternoon before so the next day I was at the
site when it 1st opened.

The 1st at least 2 hours I was completely alone in the site, it was cold
and drizzling and the clouds were rolling thru the site's ruins in wisps
like this http://tinyurl.com/aklavov

The custodians were all in their little 1 man shacks completely out of
sight and hearing, the fog/clouds and the drizzle dampened any outside
noise, I could only hear my footsteps.

It was very surreal which greatly enhanced my visit to this mystical
site.

I would not exchange that cold drizzling morning silently alone in the
clouds amongst the ruins with the most beautiful warm sunny day Delphi
ever had:-). Regards, Walter

I think I would agree, that Winter in Greece sounds very appealing.
Temperature is right, crowds such as they are, are minimized, and if
overcast -- great! Thanks for the feedback.

When I visited Delphi in 2002 I too was fortunate to have it overcast,
though through luck rather than being seasonal. A raincloud was moving
up the valley side. For a moment, as the rainclose rose, my feet had
rain and my head did not. Very surreal.

http://www.stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2...Photos.html#13

Delphi was one of the special places in Greece, for me. What were your
other favorate places in Greece? I am going to revisit one day.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

I think I would agree, that Winter in
Greece sounds very appealing.
Temperature is right,...

It was alot colder than I like that January and I'm a cold weather
person.

...crowds such as they are, are minimized,
and if overcast -- great!

In my 3* hotel in Delphi the 1st night it was a couple and myself, the
2nd night only me.
And it snowed the day I left.

I also had Olympia, Mycenae and Tyrns pretty much to myself in the
morning at opening.

What were your other favorate places in
Greece?

I lived outside of Athens (the last town before Marathon) for 2 yrs in
the early 70's when I was 19.

So the Acropolis and other ruins were part of the city you eventually
don't even look at when passing-by.

I've gone back twice (99 & 00) older and wiser and did Athens and the
Peloponese and a few other sites.

My favorite and it's mentioned in this thread http://tinyurl.com/9wusrg5
which we both took part in.
Is when Socrates' Prison in the Agora was off the beaten track,
unmarked, open and not visited.
And then standing in that exact location and playing out his final
scene in my mind.

I'm very much more into Rome's history and putting a human interest
story at a site or location makes it come alive for me. Regards, Walter

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

Default Driving in Britain advice Scotland is Beautiful Top Three Scenic Drives? Ummm.........

Martin wrote on Jan 6, 2013:

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 16:40:47 -0600, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Dan Stephenson:
The problem is not sitting on the right or shifting with your left
hand; it's lack of intuition for where is the left side of the car.
You are in danger of scraping things with the left side of the road,
which is problematic in Britain given the tendency for stone walls
lining the streets...

In my case it was a wheelie bin that came to grief in the main street
of Newbury. :-)

That and remembering that road signs *on your left* are intended for you.

Oh, and after you've had a few days to get used to things being reversed,
you'll probably forget once. You'll turn out of a driveway onto an
empty street and forget to drive on the left, say.

I find it easier to drive in my left hand drive car when I visit UK
than in a RHD rental car. I hate being a front seat passenger in a
LHD car in UK.
I had problems with a RHD gear stick and over estimating distance from
the curb. I don't have a problem switching sides of the road when I
arrive in UK.

I quite agree - I find the same in reverse. Driving on the left or right is
no problem provided I'm in my own car. I hate driving a rented LHD car abroad
though.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old January 7th, 2013, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

On 2013-01-06 12:53:32 -0600, Poetic Justice said:

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

[...]

The Sanctuary of the Great Gods on Samothraki is one of my favourites. Partly
due to its remoteness it seemed a somewhat magical place to me, with Mount
Fengari looming nearby.

I spent a week on Samothraki in 2008. I'd really like to return someday.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Default Ummm.........

poldy wrote;

Remember the long threads about
smoking bans in restaurants and pubs?

Yes, I pulled this snippet up from 2007 were I mention how just asking
about the smoke in restaurants and pubs esp by Americans in the
late-90's would bring on the attacks:-).

(David*Horne,*_the_*chancellor*(*)) wrote:
Also, does anyone remember Sjoerd's
post here a few years ago when the
subject sort of came up?
"Yes, we know that second hand smoke is
a bit bad for your health. However,
Europeans value freedom and we don't
like to be told what we can and can not
do.
A little bit of second hand smoke will kill nobody. Live and let live.

"
Yes, I remember his smoking freedom
posts.
I recall one thread here when NYC
banned smoking in bars.
Sjoerd's response was a classic and I
wish I could recall it exactly but basically
the US was fascist or nazi for passing
these types of laws, freedom, rights, etc.
But there were many posts esp in the late
90's where esp Americans (usually 1st
timers) were slammed here just for asking
about smoking in Europe questions
(restaurants, bars, public transport,
hotels, etc).
Answers like "stay home", "it's part of our
culture", "we are free", "it's our right", "a
little smoke won't hurt you, get over it",
"Europe isn't the USA", etc.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"M@gd@" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 16:43:48 -0600, in rec.travel.europe, Dan Stephenson
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

... I think I would agree, that Winter in Greece sounds very appealing.
... Temperature is right, crowds such as they are, are minimized, and if
... overcast -- great! Thanks for the feedback.

I was there end of November three years ago. 20C and sunny almost every
day (it rained a
little just once in ten days), very few tourists, the Greeks relaxed and
nice... The only
negative point, if you like to take pictures, is that the light does not
last long: at
16h30 I was already packing my phot gear, no use insisting.

It not just that it doesn't last long, the sun is always low in the sky, so
getting decent pictures even when it is light, can be impossible

tim

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"M@gd@" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 11:23:42 -0000, in rec.travel.europe, "tim....."
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

... "M@gd@" wrote in message
... ...
[...]

I took great pictures at the time - but it was between 10 and 15h.

I'm not saying that it's always impossible, but it sometimes will be
depending upon whether you have access to the North/South/East or West of
the item you are photographing.

(ICBA to work out what direction is crap)

tim

=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

Martin wrote on Jan 8, 2013:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 10:24:10 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Martin

... On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 00:13:47 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:
... On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 16:43:48 -0600, in rec.travel.europe, Dan Stephenson
... arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:
... ...
... ... I think I would agree, that Winter in Greece sounds very
appealing.
... ... Temperature is right, crowds such as they are, are minimized, and
if
... ... overcast -- great! Thanks for the feedback.
... I was there end of November three years ago. 20C and sunny almost
every day (it rained a
... little just once in ten days), very few tourists, the Greeks relaxed
and nice... The only
... negative point, if you like to take pictures, is that the light does
not last long: at
... 16h30 I was already packing my photo gear, no use insisting. Apart
from that, it was just
... perfect.
... I'll try February-March next time.
... We've been to Greece in mid-May several times. Plenty of light and it
... was never too hot to visit ancient sites.

Lucky you. I got 35C in Samothraki in May.

With global warming maybe April would be better. :-)

Last time we were in Greece in August, in 1997, we visited Olympia
without it being too hot although on the road from the coast a whole
hill side was burning.

The problem I've found with going to Greece too early in the year is that
once you leave the tourist resorts and large hotels, things are often just
not open. One does, when all is said and done, need places to eat and sleep!

I remember one year spending a few days in Limni, a delightful small seaside
town on the north-west coast of Evia. It was the end of May and I think we
were the only foreigners in the town. We found one taverna open which also
did rooms which was where we stayed, but that was all. By the time we left a
few more places had just begun to open.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old January 8th, 2013, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

That's sad. I used to really enjoy RTE until I got too busy at work. Now
that I have some time I thought I'd jump back in but given the depth of the
sh*t, I don't know that they make wellies that high.