Tips on living in Germany

Old March 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Tips on living in Germany

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:00:29 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Erick T. Barkhuis -o-m wrote in
:

To prevent merchants from circumventing this charge, the contract
says they're not allowed to price goods differently if paid by CC
card,

But...don't airlines (like Ryanair) charge additionally for credit
card use?
And I've seen signs at fuel stations, saying that they would charge 50
cents or so, if the customer wants to use debit/credit card and the
total amount is less than 15 euros.

If this is true, they are either in breach of their contract, or they
have some exemption written into.

Ryanair and others charge extra if one pays with some credit cards.

And many airlines charge different fees depending on the type of card
used- e.g. maestro instead of mastercard. Even some rail companies do
this in the UK.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:52:01 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:41:18 +0100, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

Keith Anderson:

That's the thing (compared with the UK, for instance) - many German
c/cs have an annual fee.

Got mine from Gebührenfrei:
http://www.gebuhrenfrei.com/

How does Gebührenfrei.com do business? Is it the high rates they get on
not timely payed amounts, or what?

Sollzins, Einkäufe (Teilzahlung, ab 17,9% p.a. Effektivzins*) pro Monat 1,38 %
Sollzins, Bargeld (25,9% p.a. Effektivzins) pro Monat 1,94 %

Probably )

I only use the thing for the sake of convenience, e.g. booking flights
or paying for goods and services whilst visiting the UK (usually
hotels, Marks & Spencer, rail travel and Indian food - lots and lots
of Indian food....'cos "Indian" restaurants in Germany are usually
rubbish compared with Anglo-Indian in the UK).

Anyway, I pay the whole lot off and don't incur interest.

A chicken tikka dhansak, a chicken tikka dhansak, my kingdom for a
chicken tikka dhansak!

Keith (formerly of Bristol UK)
now moved to Berlin/nach Berlin umgezogen
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Keith Anderson:

A chicken tikka dhansak, a chicken tikka dhansak, my kingdom for a
chicken tikka dhansak!

Taj Mahal München.
If your Kingdom for such meal is at stake, the trip to München will be
not too much of a problem.

--
Erick