Vietnam During Tet: Bad Idea?

Old December 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

Default Vietnam During Tet: Bad Idea?

Planning a trip to Vietnam and wondering if it is a good or bad thing
to be there during Tet.

I know travel is difficult, but if we can book our flights OK, are
there any other reasons to either avoid that time or try to be there?
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate[_2_]

The Vietnamese have long since moved on from the War! What other reason
would there be to NOT be there then. It's an even more intereesting time to
be in Vietnam!

Old December 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Wecome to Vietnam.
If you have flights in Vietnam, then it is easier. Please let me know
your dates:
Then I can give you the advise.
Van.

Old December 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

" kirjoitti
Wecome to Vietnam.
If you have flights in Vietnam, then it is easier. Please let me know

Why should you know? Why should anyone know.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
don

We stayed in HCMC this year over Tet after deciding to avoid Thailand a few
weeks before leaving because of their problems. We arrived in HCMC Jan 20
and left by train to Nha Trang Jan 26, right after Tet fireworks. The park
flowers were spectacular before Tet, by the time we returned from the north
they seemed barren.

Getting rail tickets north to Nha Trang a bit later was a bit of a problem
at the last minute (hard seats only) but we were lucky to have good help
from our hotel (Blue River). We flew back to HCMC from Hue about Feb 8 and
by then things had quieted.

Old December 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

No, not the war. It's just a difficult time to get plane
reservations.

Anyone have tips or recommendations for Tet in Saigon?

" A Mate" wrote:

The Vietnamese have long since moved on from the War! What other reason
would there be to NOT be there then. It's an even more intereesting time to
be in Vietnam!

.. .

Old December 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
don

In case you didn't see my earlier posting ...

We stayed in HCMC this year over Tet after deciding to avoid Thailand a few
weeks before leaving because of their problems. We arrived in HCMC Jan 20
and left by train to Nha Trang Jan 26, right after Tet fireworks. The park
flowers were spectacular before Tet and also on the river boats heading to
HCMC as we did a Mekong tour; by the time we returned from the north the
parks seemed barren. All the restaurants were busy but we always managed to
find a table.

Getting rail tickets north just after the was a bit of a problem near the
last minute (hard seats only on the first leg - not fun!) but we were lucky
to have good free help from our manager at Blue River Hotel.

We arrived in HCMC Jan 20 and she started working on our transport that
evening and had everything sorted before Jan 24.

Old December 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

Thanks for the info. I see both your posts now.

So in HCMC during Tet, is it better to just walk around or are there
particular things we should plan to see? Where are the fireworks?

" A Mate" wrote:

The Vietnamese have long since moved on from the War! What other reason
would there be to NOT be there then. It's an even more intereesting time
be in Vietnam!

. ..