Flying to Vancouver on Canadair regional jet

Old May 31st, 2005, 06:21 PM
kaspakhine

Default Flying to Vancouver on Canadair regional jet

Mark Brader wrote:
I was thinking of flying to Vancouver from San Diego on
America West Airlines, but they have these small planes
called Canadair Regional Jets. Has anyone flown on these...

It's a small jet 2 engine jet flown by dozens of airlines...
Seats around 80 people, 2 seats (standard econo size, on either
side of an aisle, I believe.

I don't know about the San Diego - Vancouver route, but the Canadair
Regional Jets I've flown on have had 50 seats in 13 rows. Those were
on 60-90 minute flights (e.g. Toronto-Philadelphia), and I don't think
I'd be happy on one for a longer flight. Space is on the tight side
of "standard econo", and while the 2+2 seating means half the seats
have windows, they're too small and too low to easy look out of.

This query would fit better in rec.travel.air.
--
Mark Brader "You can stop laughing now.
Toronto Well, maybe you *can't*, but you *may*."

Forwarding to rec.travel.air.
In short, I am seeking an opinion on Canadair Regional Jets for
travelling from San Diego to Vancouver with family. Comfort/noise?
Any other thoughts? Thanks to all those who have replied.

Kaspa

Old May 31st, 2005, 09:53 PM
Blake S

"kaspakhine" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mark Brader wrote:
[...]

I like the CRJ. The one you are referring to is most likely the newer 700
series. The ride is not much different from that of a 737, kinda like
riding a sports car in the air.

If I were you, I would definitely check out a non-stop flight instead of
travelling through Phoenix or Las Vegas. I know Alaska flies non-stop, and
I think Air Canada does too.

Old May 31st, 2005, 10:08 PM

I was thinking of flying to Vancouver from San Diego on
America West Airlines, but they have these small planes
called Canadair Regional Jets. Has anyone flown on these...

Note that America West doesn't service Vancouver with CRJs - You'll
have a short hop on the CRJ to a hub like Phoenix and then connect to
the longer segment to Vancouver on a bigger jet (likely an Airbus
A320).

Personally I think the CRJs are good fun - You mention your family -
Don't know how young your kids are but I bet they'll love flying on a
smaller plane. The only downside is as an adult I find the windows
kind of low.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old May 31st, 2005, 10:15 PM
nobody

kaspakhine wrote:
Forwarding to rec.travel.air.
In short, I am seeking an opinion on Canadair Regional Jets for
travelling from San Diego to Vancouver with family. Comfort/noise?
Any other thoughts? Thanks to all those who have replied.

The flying skidoo (CRJ 200) is a 50 pax all coach aircraft with tiny
lavatory. But even in row 13 next to the engine, it is an extremely
quiet aircraft. Seats are not comfortable,. seat pitch is 30" isntead of
32 for mainline aircraft (and even more for low cost carriers). Seats
don't recline. But you do have individual air vents, something which Air
Canada doesn't generally have on its planes.

It is meant as a commuter aircraft. San Diego to Vancouver will test
your's butt's ability to cushion your body for that long.

Its a neat little quiet aircraft.

The 705s that Air Canada is getting are really 900s with a 705 sticker
on it to please the union. (max 76 seats to qualify as regional jet).
The added length allows AC to give better seating and business class
seats while keeping total capacity at what the 700 offers.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:33 PM
James Robinson

Mark Brader wrote:
[...]

Mesa (America West Express) flies a CRJ900 non-stop between San Diego
and Vancouver. It is similar to the 700, but stretched, with more
seats.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:40 PM
James Robinson

kaspakhine wrote:

Forwarding to rec.travel.air.
In short, I am seeking an opinion on Canadair Regional Jets for
travelling from San Diego to Vancouver with family. Comfort/noise?
Any other thoughts? Thanks to all those who have replied.

The aircraft are fine. They are very new, are set up with all-coach,
four across seating, at an economy seat pitch typical of airlines like
Continental or Northwest. They hold 86 passengers.

I would have no problem flying that distance in one, but some people
find the smaller aircraft a bit cramped. Much of it is emotion. The seat
spacing is no different than America West's larger aircraft.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:00 PM
James Robinson

nobody wrote:

The flying skidoo (CRJ 200) is a 50 pax all coach aircraft with tiny
lavatory.

In this case, the flight is handled by a CRJ900.

Seats are not comfortable,. seat pitch is 30" isntead of
32 for mainline aircraft (and even more for low cost carriers).

The seat pitch is 31 inches, which is similar to that used in the
economy section of many larger aircraft on airlines, like Continental,
Delta, and Northwest.

Seats don't recline.

The seats on all versions recline, except for the row just in front of
the emergency exit, and the last row of the plane. They don't recline as
much as seats on larger aircraft. Some people say that the seats in the
emergency exit row are not as comfortable as others, since they are
firmer, and have a shorter seat pan.

It is meant as a commuter aircraft. San Diego to Vancouver will test
your's butt's ability to cushion your body for that long.

It is not a commuter aircraft. The CRJ900 is designed to operate over
longer distances on routes with lower passenger counts. Keep in mind
that overhead locker space is less than for larger jets.