Is there anything to see in Asia?

Old November 11th, 2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
prior

Default Is there anything to see in Asia?

Are there any ninja suicide demonstrations? How about petting zoos for
starving children in Calcutta? Are there any SARS museums, with dead
patients in big formaldehyde bottles? How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

Old November 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
riverman[_1_]

"prior" wrote in message
. ..
Are there any ninja suicide demonstrations? How about petting zoos for
starving children in Calcutta? Are there any SARS museums, with dead
patients in big formaldehyde bottles? How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

Oh sure. They got those in most towns. I thought you were looking for the
*really* interesting stuff....

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_2_]

In article , prior says...
How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

It's the Americans who don't like Mr. Bush - he just lost the elections.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
riverman[_1_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , prior says...
How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

It's the Americans who don't like Mr. Bush - he just lost the elections.
--

Actually, the French, Afghanis and Iraqis had feelings about him, too. In
fact, I suspect there are a LOT of countries that were sort of annoyed with

--riverman

Old November 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
In article , prior says...
How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

It's the Americans who don't like Mr. Bush - he just lost the elections.

He was the winning canditate in the latest presidential election. Some time
has passed since then, so I wouldn't say he just lost any election. If you
referred to the 2006 Congressional election, then I can tell you that the
president wasn't running as a candidate.....

Old November 12th, 2006, 06:40 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
riverman[_1_]

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. ..

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
In article , prior says...
How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

It's the Americans who don't like Mr. Bush - he just lost the elections.

He was the winning canditate in the latest presidential election. Some
time has passed since then, so I wouldn't say he just lost any election.
If you referred to the 2006 Congressional election, then I can tell you
that the president wasn't running as a candidate.....

Good thing for him, methinks.

--riverman

Old November 18th, 2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chuck Whealton

bob wrote:
Doesn't everybody hate Bush?

"prior" wrote in message
. ..
Are there any ninja suicide demonstrations? How about petting zoos for
starving children in Calcutta? Are there any SARS museums, with dead
patients in big formaldehyde bottles? How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

Well, I'm certainly not going to badmouth our President or say I "hate
him". I didn't vote for him either time and if he had been allowed to
run this time, I still wouldn't have voted for him.

I imagine that he's great to drink beers and eat steaks with on his
Texas ranch. I just don't agree with most of his policies. It sounds
like a good chunk of the country felt the same way and expressed that
in the elections just past.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

Old November 19th, 2006, 11:59 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Webb

"prior" wrote in message
. ..
Are there any ninja suicide demonstrations? How about petting zoos for
starving children in Calcutta? Are there any SARS museums, with dead
patients in big formaldehyde bottles? How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

Could I recommend the "Museum of American war atrocities" (since renamed) in
Saigon?

Also, most of Cambodia is very good - Tuol Sleng concentration camp in Phnom
Penh is excellent, as are the killing fields themselves.

My favourite zoo is not alas in Asia, but in Kingston Jamaica. They have
signs up saying "Please don't throw stones at the animals" (the signs are
badly dinged, obviously by stones). There was nothing alive in the first 6
exhibits. However, a very honourable mention to any zoo in the Philipines,
and Cebu zoo in particular.

You don't mention eating endangered species, but that is possible all
through South Asia; again an honorable mention to Vietnam.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chuck Whealton

Peter Webb wrote:

Could I recommend the "Museum of American war atrocities" (since renamed) in
Saigon?

I can't believe I forgot this one. I also went there. No question
that the (previous?) name is fitting to the way the museum is setup.

In the end, it was war and (thank God) not having been in a war, I can
only guess that there's nothing good about it. But no question the
museum does live up to it's old name in the displays that are setup
there.

Nonetheless, it's an interesting place to go.

The two things that got to me the most while touring that museum were
the Agent Orange displays and one picture of an American soldier,
holding up a piece of an enemy solider from about one arm up to the
head like a trophy. The enemy soldier had (apparently) been blown up.

I know horrible things always happen in war without having been part of
one, but that really drove home just how cheap life can seem during a
time of war. I'll never forget it.