Africa travel recommendation

Old May 9th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Leiv

Default Africa travel recommendation

Hi all,
I'm planning a 2 weeks independant travel for next august to an african
destination but I cannot find the perfect one....

requirements :
- Wildlife and national park (its a must) (this excludes all the western
countries (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea,Benin, Togo, Niger,....) as in august the
national parks are closed. Otherwise Senegal, Gambia and Guinea Bissau would
be perfect).
- Beaches (nice to have)
- Friendly people
- Safe or relatively safe (a must)
- Diversity of ethnics an culture

thanks
Mark
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Marc Lurie

South Africa is a good option.

Wildlife: August is in the window period of the best time to be in
Kruger National Park as the days are cool, and the grass is short.

Beaches: The Kwazulu Natal beaches are great at this time of the year,
particularly up north in the Sodwana/Kosi Bay area.

Friendly people: South Africa all the way

Safe or relatively safe: All major tourist attractions are very safe.
Unless you don't go looking for danger, and follow advice, you will
find South Africa as safe as any other destination.

Diversity of ethnics and cultu Try 11 different official
languages. The South African population consists of the following
groups: the Nguni people (consisting of the Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele and
Swazi); the Sotho-Tswana people, who include the Southern, Northern
and Western Sotho (Tswana); the Tsonga; the Venda; Afrikaners; the
English; coloureds; Indians, and those who have immigrated to South
Africa from the rest of Africa, Europe and Asia and maintain a strong
cultural identity. A few members of the Khoi and the San also live in
South Africa

Regards,

Marc - Johannesburg

Old May 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Bobby

Africa is beatiful and full of variation. The continent is vast! I have
travelled 8 months there and still there is lots and lots for me yet to see
and do.
If 1000 people respond to this you are likely to get 1000 different answers.

If this is your first trip to Africa I would recommend Kenya mainland to
begin with and then finishing off on Lamu island (beach) or mainland
Tanzania finishing off on Zanzibar (beach). Alternatively, a combination
thereof. Game viewing is not the cheapest in Africa but possibly the most
beautiful.

What is your budget like? What are your interests? Is it important that you
get far away from the beaten track? If so, it will be hard to do in only 2
weeks and not have too much pure travel time.

Just an opinion...

om...

Old May 15th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Franz Dreismann

Hello,

have a look at Addo Elephant Park in South Africa - a great place to visit
and meeting all your requirements. You can stay in the park itself, my
recommendation is to choose the rondavel accomodation:
www.addoelephantpark.com

For the beach I recommend St Francis Bay, 90 minutes from Addo. Have a
look at our house:
www.stfrancisbay.biz

For more pictures of South Africa, have a look at
www.stfrancisbay.biz/gallery

Regards,
Franz Dreismann