"A wild ride aboard tipping cruise ship"

Old February 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default "A wild ride aboard tipping cruise ship"

This may be old news, but it is in today's Ft. Worth Star-Telegram. If this
has already been posted, please forgive me.

But my question is, why did they turn around? Why not just slow down and
have a helicopter meet up with them? Doesn't a cruise ship cruise at about
20-25 knots? If so, they shouldn't be more than 60 miles out...

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/13855203.htm

A wild ride aboard tipping cruise ship

GALVESTON -- As they disembarked from the cruise ship Grand Princess on
Saturday following a weeklong trip, passengers described a wild ride when
the ship made an emergency turnaround just after the trip began. They said
that the ship tipped sharply on its side during an emergency turnaround two
hours after the 2,600-passenger Grand Princess left the Port of Galveston on
Feb. 4. A passenger who suffered a heart attack had required urgent onshore
medical attention. A company spokeswoman said that the passenger was
transferred to a waiting Coast Guard cutter. "We just thought we were going
overboard," Woney Peters, a resident of Lava Hot Springs, Idaho, told The
Galveston County Daily News for today's editions. "The boat just started
tipping and tipping and tipping." Peters said that water from the ship's
pools spilled into the dinning area as well as some of the staterooms.
Earlier in the week, Princess Cruises spokeswoman Karen Tetherow said
several passengers and crew members had minor injuries from the turnaround.
She also said some items onboard like glassware and china broke.

Old February 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article ,
"C. Massey" wrote:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/13855203.htm

A wild ride aboard tipping cruise ship

I though this was a story on how you could have a wild ride by tipping
the help a certain way :-)

Harry
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Helicopter may not be available due to weather or crew constraints.
They were being met by a coast guard cutter, so if your gone meet an other
ship, would you keep heading away ???
After the two hour turn around the rest of passengers were probably glad
only a minimum delay was experienced .
lets see how many passengers want a full refund due to this dramatic
experience of a ship turning at speed.

. com...

Old February 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

A wild ride aboard tipping cruise ship

A sharp deviation in course does not allow the ballast compensation to keep
up with the new orientation of the ship. Slow course adjustments are
unnoticeable, but a quick one can make you wonder if the next attraction is
the capsizing of the vessel.
Happily it only takes a few minutes for the system to correct itself.

Old February 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

STRANGE - wouldn't you think they would make a ship wide announcement in
advance of such an unusual maneuver - and how much time did they save not
too mention putting many passengers at risk or in fear! Just seems very
unusual!

. com...

Old February 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wouldn't you think they would make a ship wide announcement

Art... though I can't confirm it... I suspect the Master *did* have
some sort of public announcement issued. Such as yourself... I
would think it rather bizarre not to have done so.

Or if nothing else... someone on the bridge should have just grabbed
the mike and shouted the old sail boat command... "ready to come
about... hard to lee!". heh heh... just kidding.

Bill

Old February 12th, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

First of all, public announcements are not heard in the cabins unless the
radio or TV is tuned to the channel where they are broadcast, at least
that's the way it works on HAL.

Second, my only experience like the OP's was at about 11PM at night on our
way to Hawaii. While I didn't learn what really happened until a few nights
later, another ship was on a collision course with ours and refusing to
acknowledge our requests to correct their course. Eventually it led to us
making a rather dramatic 90 degree right turn, and since I was standing at
the time I ended up on my behind sliding across the floor until I ended up
against the door.

I don't recall that anyone was injured, but HAL lost a couple plates that we
had stacked.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

ups.com...

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Dick G. wrote:
First of all, public announcements are not heard in the cabins unless the
radio or TV is tuned to the channel where they are broadcast, at least
that's the way it works on HAL.

Aboard Legend of the Seas this past October during the crossing from
Europe some announcements were made that were broadcast in the cabins.
There was no way to turn them off - the speakers are wall mounted. I
bet that when necessary, this can be done on most ships.

Warren

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Actually an emergency announcement like this would be piped into all rooms
through the emergency speaker system which is in all cabins on all ships
including HAL.

"Dick G." dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom wrote in message
First of all, public announcements are not heard in the cabins unless the
radio or TV is tuned to the channel where they are broadcast, at least
that's the way it works on HAL.

Second, my only experience like the OP's was at about 11PM at night on our
way to Hawaii. While I didn't learn what really happened until a few
nights later, another ship was on a collision course with ours and
refusing to acknowledge our requests to correct their course. Eventually
it led to us making a rather dramatic 90 degree right turn, and since I
was standing at the time I ended up on my behind sliding across the floor
until I ended up against the door.

I don't recall that anyone was injured, but HAL lost a couple plates that
we had stacked.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

ups.com...

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article .com,
Warren wrote:

Aboard Legend of the Seas this past October during the crossing from
Europe some announcements were made that were broadcast in the cabins.
There was no way to turn them off - the speakers are wall mounted. I
bet that when necessary, this can be done on most ships.

You would have to think any emergency announcements can be broadcast in
the cabins, overiding any turn off switch if there is one in the cabin.

--
Charles