renting a car in august

Old July 12th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Greg

Default renting a car in august

Hello

In order to visit parts of California and Nevada this summer,
i would like to rent a car for one week or so, rented at one place
and given back at another one (so i guess i would get better chances
with national-wide rental companies).

Do you know if i should book this rental weeks before, or
do the car rental companies always have free cars, meaning i could just
visit 2 or 3 of them to get a chance to get about the type of car i
want ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Greg
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Keith W

"Greg" wrote in message
Hello

In order to visit parts of California and Nevada this summer,
i would like to rent a car for one week or so, rented at one place
and given back at another one (so i guess i would get better chances
with national-wide rental companies).

Do you know if i should book this rental weeks before, or
do the car rental companies always have free cars, meaning i could just
visit 2 or 3 of them to get a chance to get about the type of car i
want ?

I would strongly advise you rent in advance. Locations
do occasionally run out of cars and one way rental fees
vary considerably between companies.

Be aware that cars rented in the USA will have minimal
insurance cover as US renters tend to use their home
policies to cover the risk. The major rental companies
will typically include insurance IF you book through
their French web site but not through the US web site.

You should also check out agencies like holiday autos
who use the major rental companies but negotiate
special rates due to their mass marketing. They typically
include all insurance cover.

http://www.holidayautos.fr/

Rent at least a mid-size car, the difference in cost between
it and a compact is minimal and its much better suited
to driving across the large distances involved in California
and Nevada.

Keith

Old July 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Keith W" wrote:

I would strongly advise you rent in advance. Locations
do occasionally run out of cars and one way rental fees
vary considerably between companies.

booking in advance doesn;t necessarily guarantee a car though
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Do you know if i should book this rental weeks before, or
do the car rental companies always have free cars, meaning i could just
visit 2 or 3 of them to get a chance to get about the type of car i
want ?

book in advance. Rates tend to be cheaper. And if you don;t need to
rent at the airport, check rates away from the airport. May save on
rates as well as add-on fees/taxes

Thanks a lot for your help

Greg

Old July 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM
jbert

Book in advance. I wanted to do the same thing, but my first two chooses
would not allow a one way drop off (one would if I paid for a one way
air fare for the agency to retrieve the car). We wound up having to fly
to a place 2 hours away to find a one way rental (Montana to Pacific coast).

JAB

Old July 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Keith W

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
"Keith W" wrote:

I would strongly advise you rent in advance. Locations
do occasionally run out of cars and one way rental fees
vary considerably between companies.

booking in advance doesn;t necessarily guarantee a car though

It MUCH increases your chances of getting a car and in practise
means that if when you arrive at the desk they'll give you a
free upgrade to the next size car they have available.

I have never been turned away when I had a car booked but there
have been plenty of times I ended up with a Premium or Luxury
when all I booked was a mid-size

Keith