2 day visit to Mumbai

Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:35 AM
waitressvn waitressvn is offline
Member

Default 2 day visit to Mumbai

Hi
My husband and I will be arriving in Mumbai at 11:45pm. What is the best and safest way for us to get to our hotel in Churchgate at that time of the night? Can someone also please suggest places for us to visit on our 2 day trip and also how do we get to these places? We want to see as much as we can so a hectic pace is no problem. Thanks for your help.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

waitressvn wrote:
Hi
My husband and I will be arriving in Mumbai at 11:45pm. What is the best
and safest way for us to get to our hotel in Churchgate at that time of
the night? Can someone also please suggest places for us to visit on our
2 day trip and also how do we get to these places? We want to see as
much as we can so a hectic pace is no problem. Thanks for your help.

Assuming you're flying in from abroad:

Contact your hotel and ask them if they run an airport shuttle service.

If they do then they'll meet you at the main aitport exit door, be
aware that the area is always packed with drivers waving bits of paper
with names on them.

If they don't then there's a pre pay taxi booth inside the airport,
just pay for a cab there and they'll tell you where to find your taxi.

Two kinds of taxi, 'cool cabs' are air conditioned and are painted blue
and silver, and ordinary cabs, painted black and yellow.

DON'T walk out of the international terminal and start looking for a
cab, beware of touts who want to help with your luggage, put on some
anti mosquito stuff before you leave the airport, Mumbai International
is a mosquito trap.

Lots to do in two days, walking around Fort looking at the shops and
Crawford Market will take a day. Gateway to India, Chowpatty Beach,
Bandra is a bit far from Churchgate though. A meal at Gaylords in
Churchgate is fun.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
jacques

Le Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:47:12 +0000, William Black a écritÂ*:

If they don't then there's a pre pay taxi booth inside the airport, just
pay for a cab there and they'll tell you where to find your taxi.

How much should I pay a fare from Intl Airport to GPO area ?

Tks, Jacques

J.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

jacques wrote:
Le Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:47:12 +0000, William Black a écrit :

If they don't then there's a pre pay taxi booth inside the airport, just
pay for a cab there and they'll tell you where to find your taxi.

How much should I pay a fare from Intl Airport to GPO area ?

No idea.

I employ a driver when I'm there.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:54 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
jacques

Le Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:42:51 +0000, William Black a écritÂ*:

How much should I pay a fare from Intl Airport to GPO area ?

No idea.

I employ a driver when I'm there.

Can I employ your driver next saturday ?

J.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
jacques

Le Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:06:56 +0000, jacques a écritÂ*:

How much should I pay a fare from Intl Airport to GPO area ?

There is an answer here :

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/mumbai.html

J.

Old January 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"jacques" wrote in message
Le Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:42:51 +0000, William Black a écrit :

How much should I pay a fare from Intl Airport to GPO area ?

No idea.

I employ a driver when I'm there.

Can I employ your driver next saturday ?

You could have, but I was using him to go to a beach resort at Manori...

I checked as I came through the airport though, the pre pay taxi booth is
still there, there are now big signs about not using a casually booked taxi
and the exit is much better, although still surounded by a gazillion people
holding up bits of paper with names on.

The 'seaway' is now open so the road from the airport to the city is much
easier to get down.

Meru still don't operate from the international airport and a SIM card for
your phone is now impossible to get and getting an overseas SIM autherised
is almost impossible (I've starated a new thread about it)

--

William Black