I Never Thought I'd Say This, But...

Old March 26th, 2011, 11:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

Default I Never Thought I'd Say This, But...

In article om,
Janet Wilder wrote:

If you had 6th grade reading comprehension skills, you'd have read that
other lines provide it for free. Further, they are not trying to use a
medical situation as a profit source. Carnival is by charging $5 for an
item that costs them 50 cents. It's not like this is an option to those
people who need it to be able to breathe.

But are they charging you more for your use than to anyone else that
asks for the same thing for other reasons? If they are charging you $5
for "medical grade" water but someone else gets the same jug for $3,
then you might have a beef (over and above the why don't they when
others will). It isn't that they are using a medical situation as a
profit source (unless there is the higher price), it is just that the
tight *******s charge for things others give away.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

In article om,
Janet Wilder wrote:

If you had 6th grade reading comprehension skills, you'd have read that
other lines provide it for free. Further, they are not trying to use a
medical situation as a profit source. Carnival is by charging $5 for an
item that costs them 50 cents.

That's the business Carnival is in. Why should this item be any
different?
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/26/2011 6:06 PM, nfw wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:51:25 -0500, Janet
wrote:

On 3/26/2011 10:40 AM, Goomba wrote:
Janet Wilder wrote:
On 3/25/2011 10:05 PM, Goomba wrote:

Sorry, Janet but I don't agree. You pay for your own prescriptions (or
your insurance does) right? Why should RC pay for your special needs?

It is almost impossible for people flying in for a cruise to purchase
their own distilled water. It's a gallon jug! A lot different than
bringing your own pills and medications.

The jugs cost about $1 to $1.50 retail. By the case, in large lots,
it's more like 50¢. Carnival is charging $5 and is using the medically
necessary item as a profit maker. Doesn't that disturb you a bit? It
disturbs me.

If other cruise lines do this to accommodate their guests, why is
Carnival using a medical necessity to make an obscene profit?

Because you're paying for the convenience of not bringing it yourself.
Just like anything purchased at a resort or hotel, it costs you a bit
more. It seems like a fairly nominal charge for the actual product,the
staff to make a special delivery to your stateroom, etc. So no, $5
doesn't disturb me.

Again, why do other lines and hotels provide it for free and not
Carnival. If they can do it, why does Carnival not only charge but make
an obscene profit from it. A fairly nominal charge would be $1 not $5
when it costs them fifty cents.

We have stayed at hotels that have provided it for free. We have sailed
other lines that provide it for free. We are sailing on AMA Waterways in
June. They are providing it for free. We will be sailing with Celebrity
next April, they are providing it for free.

I'm sure you will go on feeling as you do out of loyalty to Carnival,
but you still have not come up with a good answer, other than your
loyalty, to why Carnival sees a medical necessity as a price point and a
profit-maker.

So if you were stay in a hotel, would you expect the hotel to supply you with
free distilled water?

I have and they have.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/26/2011 6:24 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In raweb.com,
Janet wrote:

If you had 6th grade reading comprehension skills, you'd have read that
other lines provide it for free. Further, they are not trying to use a
medical situation as a profit source. Carnival is by charging $5 for an
item that costs them 50 cents. It's not like this is an option to those
people who need it to be able to breathe.

But are they charging you more for your use than to anyone else that
asks for the same thing for other reasons? If they are charging you $5
for "medical grade" water but someone else gets the same jug for $3,
then you might have a beef (over and above the why don't they when
others will). It isn't that they are using a medical situation as a
profit source (unless there is the higher price), it is just that the
tight *******s charge for things others give away.

I don't know anyone other the users of C-pap and Bi-pap machines who
would even want a jug of distilled water. It tastes terrible. Not at all
like filtered bottled water.

Find someone with sleep apnea who uses one of these machines. They stop
breathing 10 times or more every minute while they sleep. Their bodies
are starved for oxygen. They need this water for their machines to
operate properly.

It is the insensitivity to the issue that really bugs me. If they have
to charge, they should charge what it costs them. They are gouging
people with a medical need.

I don't see how anyone can defend this practice, but I guess some folks
are so loyal to a brand that they are blinded to the truth.

Old March 27th, 2011, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/26/2011 6:25 PM, Ray Goldenberg wrote:
In raweb.com,
Janet wrote:

If you had 6th grade reading comprehension skills, you'd have read that
other lines provide it for free. Further, they are not trying to use a
medical situation as a profit source. Carnival is by charging $5 for an
item that costs them 50 cents.

That's the business Carnival is in. Why should this item be any
different?

Next thing you know they'll be charging extra for handicap-accessible
cabins and adding a surcharge for plugging in mobility scooters to
recharge their batteries. g Hey, a buck's a buck to Carnival.

I shudder to think of what would happen if someone had a medical
emergency on a Carnival ship. Would they be trying to reap a profit from
that, too?

I think I'll just keep my trade with the companies who care about the
health of their guests. If there are cruise lines and hotels who provide
this service at no charge, why would I ever want to sail with a cruise
line who gouges people who have a medical problem.

I don't care who sails with them. I won't.

Old March 27th, 2011, 03:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Emanon_11

Janet wrote:

[...]

Actually the do charge extra for handicapped cabins.

Old March 27th, 2011, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nfw

Janet wrote:

[...]

Fine you've made your point.
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

Janet wrote:

[...]

You have to be kidding?

Old March 27th, 2011, 06:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Island Grampa

eb.com...

Janet wrote:

[...]

FWIW We have traveled many times, on several different cruise lines, in
handicap accessible cabins. It is true that you normally can't get a H/A
cabin for the price of a "guarantee" in a certain category cabin, but you do
normally pay the same price for an assigned H/A cabin, as another assigned
cabin in the same category.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old March 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Janet Wilder wrote:

I don't see how anyone can defend this practice, but I guess some folks
are so loyal to a brand that they are blinded to the truth.

I've never been on a Carnival cruise. How loyal do you think I am being?