Wheelchair/scooter questions

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

Default Wheelchair/scooter questions

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:10:56 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 3/30/2011 7:28 PM, wrote:

So questions
a) What would be the optimum for me to use in Bermuda and the Bahamas
- wheelchair, scooter, combination or neither???
b) If there are limited options to use a scooter/wheelchair off the
ship, could I reserve a ship wheelchair or would I have to rent one?

We were in Bermuda last April. My DH has some mobility issues, too. What
we did was hire a driver who took us all over the island. I have tried
to find his name and can't, but if you look on the ports of call board
on cruise critic, you may find recommendations.

We have learned that when we hire our own tour guide, we have more
control of how fast and where we are touring. Also, there have been
times when DH sat and chatted with the guide while I did a bunch of
climbing around that he couldn't do. Then I showed him the pictures.
While he couldn't do everything, he could at least absorb a lot of the
atmosphere and enjoy what he could do.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. We liked Bermuda, though it is quite
expensive.

Seeing Bermuda on a cruise is definitely the way to go. A few nights
there on a shore vacation would cost you more than a cruise for 2. My
wife had the good fortune of vacating there last year for 10 days
because she has a friend who lived there at the time. If not for the
free lodging she never would have gone.
Thumper
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article m, Janet
Wilder wrote:

We were in Bermuda last April. My DH has some mobility issues, too. What
we did was hire a driver who took us all over the island. I have tried
to find his name and can't, but if you look on the ports of call board
on cruise critic, you may find recommendations.

That is a very good idea. I have done that myself. Certain taxi drivers
with blue placards are trained to do tours. We did a four hour taxi
tour and someone with mobility issues but who can walk some would not
even need a wheelchair or scooter. The places we stopped we only walked
a few feet. They will take you anywhere you want. You can make it
longer if you want as the rate is by the hour. Four hours we did about
half the island.

--
Charles
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

There are some cruise lines that charge quite a bit for bottled water
(can't remember which ones) and some that don't. We don't buy bottled
water to drink anywhere except possibly in Cozumel, and there we go to
one of the back street grocery stores that the locals use and buy a
gallon jug of it for cheap.

It is cheap because they might fill the jugs from the tap.....not
joking, I read an article about that a few years ago. I don't think I
would buy bottled water in back street stores.

--
Charles
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:21:05 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

There are some cruise lines that charge quite a bit for bottled water
(can't remember which ones) and some that don't. We don't buy bottled
water to drink anywhere except possibly in Cozumel, and there we go to
one of the back street grocery stores that the locals use and buy a
gallon jug of it for cheap.

It is cheap because they might fill the jugs from the tap.....not
joking, I read an article about that a few years ago. I don't think I
would buy bottled water in back street stores.

I think that does happen. We very rarely drink bottled water, but
when the local people do, we do too. So if the locals buy and drink
that water, we will also buy and drink the water. The only two times
we've done this were in Cozumel and Belize, and we didn't have any
problem with getting it in bulk.

Old April 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

wrote:

On 3/30/2011 7:28 PM, wrote:

[...]

Yes we have been to Bermuda twice by plane 1963 and 1995 and in 1995 a
trip for about 4 days cost as much as two weeks in Costa Rica. Then
by cruise ship in for a week in 2004 and for a couple of days in
2007. It was much cheaper by cruise ship.

I do get a car and driver when I am traveling with grandchildren
because sometimes they would have trouble pushing a wheelchair. I
haven't generally done so when traveling with my husband because he
likes to drive and also thinks it is too expensive.

Anyway.

Good news (for me). Bob has agreed to fly to Seattle on Southwest and
we are going on the Amsterdam to Alaska on May 13th. I have had a
scooter delivered to the cabin and we will see how that goes before we
decide what to do on Carnival.

I wanted to do that this spring because I am between grandchildren ATM
(at the moment). The next one is only just 11 and I think 12 is about
the minimum age to travel with me.

Old April 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Island Grampa

Hi Gramma Beasley

Barb and I did the 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam in June last year
with Barb's Mum and our 13 YO Grandson. Barb uses a scooter to get around
due to Arthritis in both knees. We have our own scooter and have been
cruising with it for over 10 years. If you LOVE cruising, which I know you
do, it is a GREAT way to get around. The one we have is a "GOLDEN, Buzz
Around" and I have no problem lifting it into our Hyundai Santa Fe. BTW,
I'm 70 years old. We rented a car in a few ports, because we have been
there before and the shore excursions are really expensive (especially for
four people).

I hope you enjoy the Amsterdam as much as we did. My pictures can be found
(along with many other cruises) at

http://community.webshots.com/user/chezbull

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old April 1st, 2011, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 4/1/2011 1:56 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:10:56 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 3/30/2011 7:28 PM,
wrote:

[...]

How wonderful! I hope your trip is great. I hear Holland America does a
fine job with Alaska.

The idea of traveling with any of our grandchildren does not excite me.
I think you are quite special for taking them with you. I don't have
the patience.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas