help-best time to visit europe

Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default help-best time to visit europe

hi! i'm planning to visit europe(1st visit) with my wife. time with me
is from mid-sep07 to mid-feb08. what is the best time to plan my trip,
keeping in view the weather and costs? i intend visiting at least 3-4
countries tentatively- france, swz, germany, uk on a 10-12 day trip.
also how much extra is it likely to cost if we get our 5-yr old son
along also.
thanx.
Jasdeep

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

hi!

Hi to you, too

i'm planning to visit europe(1st visit) with my wife. time with me
is from mid-sep07 to mid-feb08. what is the best time to plan my trip,
keeping in view the weather and costs?

Oh Dear.
Do you want to be sitting on the beach or snowboarding up in the
mountains? Do you want to visit theathres or ride a bicycle in the woods?
Would you like to sweat or shiver?

also how much extra is it likely to cost if we get our 5-yr old son
along also.

Into Europe? That'll be about EUR 18,75 a day.

thanx.
Jasdeep

Welcome

--
Erick
"An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions." - Robert A.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

On Apr 3, 12:51 pm, wrote:
hi! i'm planning to visit europe(1st visit) with my wife. time with me
is from mid-sep07 to mid-feb08. what is the best time to plan my trip,
keeping in view the weather and costs?

Any time from September through November. Almost all of Europe gets
cold in the winter, so I wouldn't recommend a winter visit unless you
want to do winter focused activities, like skiing or Christmas
markets.

i intend visiting at least 3-4 countries tentatively- france, swz, germany, uk on a 10-12 day trip.

There is no way you could visit 3-4 countries in any meaningful way on
a 10-12 day trip. Visiting 3 cities during that time might even be a
little rushed when you account for the time involved in getting
between them. It might be possible to do something like Paris -
Interlaken (in the Swiss Alps) - Munich. Or London - Paris -
Interlaken. Or you might just want to stick to two places so that you
don't spend too much time going from place to place and going to and
from hotels and train stations and airports.

also how much extra is it likely to cost if we get our 5-yr old son along also.

If you are willing to have him sleep in a cot in your room, almost all
hotels will do that, and it will usually only cost a bit extra.

If you want him to have a separate room, single rooms are usually
almost as expensive as double rooms.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 3 Apr., 19:51, wrote:
hi! i'm planning to visit europe(1st visit) with my wife. time with me
is from mid-sep07 to mid-feb08. what is the best time to plan my trip,
keeping in view the weather and costs? i intend visiting at least 3-4
countries tentatively- france, swz, germany, uk on a 10-12 day trip.
also how much extra is it likely to cost if we get our 5-yr old son
along also.

Depends mainly on what YOU are looking for.

September still is good for decent weather (at least
statistically) for France, Switzerland, Germany, and
most of the Summer vacation season is over.
October might be fine (I like traveling that time of
the year in France and Switzerland).
December is great when somehow interested in
Christmas preparation (especially for visiting a
few Christmas Markets in Germany (or Austria,
now also in mayn other countries) and I like starting
the skiing season in some high-altitude resort
the week before Christmas week (only a very
few tourists around; quiet, boring maybe, but
definitely less expensive).
January ..... not really time of the year I travel in
Europe, and February is imho not much better.

Be also aware that most of the countries on your
list are kind of "up North" - at least compared to
most of continental US for example - daylight time
accordingly short[er] in Winter

And 10-12 days is not much for 3-4 countries.
You might concentrate on UK for the first part
or your trip, then for example Paris and maybe
SW-Germany with E-France (Alsace for
example) and W-Switzerland (Bernese Oberland
or Valais via Lake Geneva if interested in
mountain scenery

As for a 5 year old child: sorry no first hand
info, but looks like most of time free for public
transportation (such as train) and museums
- but best is to look with the service providers
first .....

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Apr 3, 10:51 am, wrote:
hi! i'm planning to visit europe(1st visit) with my wife. time with me
is from mid-sep07 to mid-feb08. what is the best time to plan my trip,
keeping in view the weather and costs? i intend visiting at least 3-4
countries tentatively- france, swz, germany, uk on a 10-12 day trip.
also how much extra is it likely to cost if we get our 5-yr old son
along also.
thanx.
Jasdeep

Mid October to mid November.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
hlbumpkin

On Apr 3, 12:51 pm, wrote:
hi! i'm planning to visit europe(1st visit) with my wife. time with me
is from mid-sep07 to mid-feb08. what is the best time to plan my trip,
keeping in view the weather and costs? i intend visiting at least 3-4
countries tentatively- france, swz, germany, uk on a 10-12 day trip.
also how much extra is it likely to cost if we get our 5-yr old son
along also.
thanx.
Jasdeep

It sounds like you are just getting a start. I would recommend Rick
Steeves "Europe through the Backdoor as a first cut.

http://www.ricksteves.com/

Just what is online gives you lots of ideas. I have read the other
posts and they have some good informations but are full of personal
bias. Read Rick's online stuff, go to the bookstore and browse the
travel guides - there are a bunch of them, scan them and formulate
some good questions that apply to your situation. Then come back.
Planning is important. You may not do half of the things that interest
you. The background information is invaluable. The more you know about
the place you intend to visit the more able you are to make good
decisions, that applies to pre-trip planning as well as when things
don't go as you planned while traveling. Have fun.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:41:29 -0500, "Stephen Ellenson"

wrote:

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Make credence recognised that on 3 Apr 2007 10:51:40 -0700,
has scripted:

hi! i'm planning to visit europe(1st visit) with my wife. time with me
is from mid-sep07 to mid-feb08. what is the best time to plan my trip,
keeping in view the weather and costs? i intend visiting at least 3-4
countries tentatively- france, swz, germany, uk on a 10-12 day trip.
also how much extra is it likely to cost if we get our 5-yr old son
along also.
thanx.
Jasdeep

Gosh, how odd that all you guys decided to respond to this guy!!!

This is the only post he has ever made under this name, and I suspect
it's the same guy that posed a similarly vacant question a few days
ago.
--
---
DFM -

Okay, I'll have a go. The best time to visit Europe is 6:30am on a
Tuesday.

Excluding Shrove Tuesdays when Europe is closed.
--

Martin

Yes, of course. Silly of me to forget that really.

Old April 4th, 2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Gosh, how odd that all you guys decided to respond to this guy!!!

This is the only post he has ever made under this name, and I suspect
it's the same guy that posed a similarly vacant question a few days
ago.

You could well be right and it could be some strange email harvesting
program or something but bear in mind there seems to be almost an entire
generation of Indians making their first overseas trips this year (assuming
the guy is Indian, of course). The bad old days of waiting months for a
passport, getting exit interviews, and being allowed to spend only some tiny
daily foreign currency amount abroad have largely disappeared.

Middle-class Indians been going as far as Bangkok and Singapore and the
Maldives for the past few years and now they're getting more affluent and
more adventurous. Switzerland is among European countries advertising
particularly heavily here (I think their slogan is "We're the Himalayas
without the chaos and grotty backpackers.") From glossy magazines, it
appears Austria and Italy (the Gandhi connection!) are also trying to grab
some early action.

For most Indian tourists, Europe outside the UK is largely a blank canvas
here and only just starting to be coloured in.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore