A few words on S. Africa

Old September 5th, 2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
jrk

Default A few words on S. Africa

Just got back from S. Africa; Cape Town and Kruger Park in particular.
Since I got some pretty sound advice a few months back from this group,
I guess I owe this brief report.

A summary: what a great country. I keep my fingers crossed that it
succeed in the future, against all the odds.

Specifics on Kruger Park:

I bought a package from Siyabona agency, in some way affiliated with
Kruger. 3 days/2 nights in Skukuza camp, including transfer from and to
Jo'burg. I think all in all it was a good choice. Everything was
professional, service was friendly and efficient. In brief, I got what
I paid for. As to the question raised earlier on this group, whether
one could see as much, or possibly more, at less cost, by renting a car
and doing Kruger individually: perhaps yes. However, certainly not if
traveling alone, as I was. Also, although both the roads to Kruger and
within it, are well-maintained and well-marked, I could have easily
missed half the wildlife sightings were it not for the professional
guides accompanying me. Simply put, only occasionally the animals walk
across the road. More frequently, they are grazing (or hunting) off the
road, and if you are driving, there is little chance you can see them.
The choice is easily yours.

Here are some pictures I took during those few days including the Cape:

http://home.comcast.net/~jurek_k/tra...rica_2006.html

Mark, I appreciate your input to this group.

Kind regards, jrk

Old September 5th, 2006, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On 4 Sep 2006 16:09:17 -0700, "jrk" wrote:

Just got back from S. Africa; Cape Town and Kruger Park in particular.
Since I got some pretty sound advice a few months back from this group,
I guess I owe this brief report.

A summary: what a great country. I keep my fingers crossed that it
succeed in the future, against all the odds.

SNIP. SNIP

jrk, I'm delighted that you enjoyed yourself, and I can only say that
you are always welcome to return here at any time.

Regarding your comments about self-driving in Kruger... You certainly
have a point about solo driving being a problem for game spotting, but
if you have a passenger you should have a great time. The secret is to
drive well below the speed limit. You won't see anything but the
absolutely obvious if you drive at 40km/h. :-)

Other games spotting tricks help, such as:
1) Divide your vista into near, middle, and far distance and scan each
zone seperately
2) Always scan right to left because you concentrate better that way
(it's opposite to the direction you read, so you mind is more active)
Of course, Israeli's and Arabs should scan left to right.
3) Never stare at a spot to see if there's something there because the
image burns onto your vision and can obscure your vision
4) Look for inconsistencies in colour or shape, rather than complete
animals. Rounded objects are out of place in upright grass for
example, and are probably ears or a head.
5) Use your peripheral vision as much as possible. It's easier to spot
movement with you peripheral vision that with your central vision.

Regards,
Marc
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
riverman[_1_]

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
[...]

You forgot:
6) Walk around with a chunk of raw meat tied to your hat.

:-)

--riverman

Old September 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
JohnM

In article , Marc Lurie
writes
2) Always scan right to left because you concentrate better that way
(it's opposite to the direction you read, so you mind is more active)
Of course, Israeli's and Arabs should scan left to right.

And the Chinese from down upwards? Hehe.

--
JohnM
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
tc_seb

Heya jrk,

how much did you pay for your tour through Kruger?

btw - nice pice ;-)

Seb