Dress code for Florence opera?

Old April 24th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Mxsmanic

PTRAVEL writes:

Some people have respect for the performers and other audience members.

Respect for the performers is manifested in behavior, not attire.

Old April 24th, 2005, 06:44 PM
PTRAVEL

"tim (moved to sweden)" wrote in message

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
news

My personal take: dressing up a bit shows respect for the performers

Hasn't my money already done this?

No, it hasn't.

Attending a live performance isn't the same thing as going to the movies.
Live theater and, particularly, opera represent the ultimate evolution of a
social tradition that had its beginnings in ritual worship in ancient
Greece. It carries with it a set of conventions, i.e. social agreements,
that make it possible in the first place. You're probably familiar with
some of them, e.g. "fourth wall." Others involve the relationship between
the audience and the performers (yes, there is a dynamic, two-way
communication that goes on during a live performance -- it shapes what the
performers do and how the audience responds), and the relationship between
audience members.

Opera is most definitely NOT simply sitting in a darkened room, listening to
music.

Yes, these days you can show up in flip-flops and shorts and probably be
admitted. You can also show up with noisey little children, candy in
plastic bags, a flash camera, and all sorts of other things that have
absolutely no business being in a theater in which a live performance is
taking place, that interfere with other's appreciation of the experience,
and interfere with the actors' performances.

tim

Old April 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
PTRAVEL

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
tim (moved to sweden) writes:

Hasn't my money already done this?

Exactly.

You should stick to attending films. This attitude is uniquely
inappropriate for live performance.

Old April 24th, 2005, 06:57 PM
PTRAVEL

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message
news:1gvj6wk.1v21gpl11oltmrN%this_address_is_for_s ...
PTRAVEL wrote:

[]
My personal take: dressing up a bit shows respect for the performers and
the
rest of the audience. Notwithstanding, though it's true that suits,
jackets
and ties are not required, neither is it appropriate to show up in a
tee-shirt and jeans (or, god forbid, sandals and shorts). The former
will
never attract unwanted attention at the opera; the latter always will.

As someone who does perform from time to time, I really don't think it
makes much difference, and most performers would agree I think.

Well, as a former professional actor (stage, as well as television and
film), I don't agree at all.

For a performer, the biggest difference between stage and film or television
is the dynamic two-way communication that occurs between performer and
audience. This is what keeps it interesting to perform the same part in the
same show, day-in and day-out. Each performance is slightly different
because it is informed by the audience response. Put slightly differently,
not only does the performer have a responsibility to the audience, the
individual audience member has a responsibility to the performer.

With regard to highly-formalized live performance forms, i.e. those that
depend on social and artistic conventions that are understood by both the
performers and the audience, an audience composed of people who either don't
understand the conventions, or simply reject them, is a nightmare -- it was
one of the reasons why I hated doing "young people's performances," when the
producer would schedule matinees and truck in gaggles of children.

This has nothing to do with whether a performer can see the audience (and
you're wrong -- you most certainly can see the audience if, for some reason,
you're inclined to look). It has to do with performing before an audience
composed of people who say, "I've paid my money, think I'm in a movie
theater, and I refuse to participate in the very experience that makes LIVE
opera or theater unique and worth attending."

What
does annoy performer and listener alike a _lot_ more is unnecessary
coughing and noise through concerts.

When the collaborative performance team has done their job correctly, i.e.
put on a good opera or play, there isn't unnecessary coughing.

Much more irritating than what
someone is wearing. With opera in particular, the lights on stage make
it very difficult to even _see_ the audience, never mind what they are
wearing.

I disagree, but that isn't the point.

If an audience member is offended by someone else's dress, then
I suggest they worry too much, and seriously need a new life.

That isn't the point, either. I'm not offended by what someone wears. I am
angry if their presence in an audience interferes with the experience,
whether it's because they dressed inappropriately, brought noisey children,
are sucking on candies, or singing along with the music.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net

Old April 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM
PTRAVEL

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
PTRAVEL writes:

Some people have respect for the performers and other audience members.

Respect for the performers is manifested in behavior, not attire.

And wearing clothes is behavior.

Old April 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Mxsmanic

PTRAVEL writes:

And wearing clothes is behavior.

So a Barbie doll in a dress is behaving?

Old April 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Mxsmanic

PTRAVEL writes:

You should stick to attending films. This attitude is uniquely
inappropriate for live performance.

It didn't seem to bother anyone there.

Old April 24th, 2005, 07:34 PM
PTRAVEL

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
PTRAVEL writes:

And wearing clothes is behavior.

So a Barbie doll in a dress is behaving?

Do you seriously expect a response to this? Okay, no, a Barbie doll is not
behaving by wearing a dress because it is a doll, and not a human capable of
behavior.

Come on, get real.

Old April 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Mxsmanic

PTRAVEL writes:

Attending a live performance isn't the same thing as going to the movies.
Live theater and, particularly, opera represent the ultimate evolution of a
social tradition that had its beginnings in ritual worship in ancient
Greece.

Ancient Greece and its ritual worship are dead.

It carries with it a set of conventions, i.e. social agreements,
that make it possible in the first place. You're probably familiar with
some of them, e.g. "fourth wall." Others involve the relationship between
the audience and the performers (yes, there is a dynamic, two-way
communication that goes on during a live performance -- it shapes what the
performers do and how the audience responds), and the relationship between
audience members.

Opera is entertainment that you pay to see and hear. It's not a Masonic
ritual.

Opera is most definitely NOT simply sitting in a darkened room, listening to
music.

It sure seemed that way to me.

Yes, these days you can show up in flip-flops and shorts and probably be
admitted.

Yes.

You can also show up with noisey little children, candy in
plastic bags, a flash camera, and all sorts of other things that have
absolutely no business being in a theater ...

I've never seen that, so I cannot say. There may be restrictions on
food and the use of cameras. I don't believe there are restrictions on
small children, but I saw none there. There are sometimes teenagers or
older children, though.

Old April 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Mxsmanic

PTRAVEL writes:

For a performer, the biggest difference between stage and film or television
is the dynamic two-way communication that occurs between performer and
audience.

Dynamic two-way communication??

With regard to highly-formalized live performance forms, i.e. those that
depend on social and artistic conventions that are understood by both the
performers and the audience, an audience composed of people who either don't
understand the conventions, or simply reject them, is a nightmare -- it was
one of the reasons why I hated doing "young people's performances," when the
producer would schedule matinees and truck in gaggles of children.

Some performers seem to like that. A gaggle of children isn't a problem
if they like what they see and hear. And an audience of well-dressed
stiffs isn't much fun if it doesn't like what it sees and hears.

It has to do with performing before an audience
composed of people who say, "I've paid my money, think I'm in a movie
theater, and I refuse to participate in the very experience that makes LIVE
opera or theater unique and worth attending."

I expect to be _paid_ for participation.

I'm not offended by what someone wears. I am
angry if their presence in an audience interferes with the experience,
whether it's because they dressed inappropriately ...

These statements contradict each other.