Beaches near Tuscany

Old July 18th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Ricky

Default Beaches near Tuscany

"blackbat" ha scritto nel messaggio
I'm taking the family to Tuscany. I'd like to give the kids a day by
the beach.

Can anyone recommend any decent beaches between Viareggio and
Grosseto.
What about parking?

"..."

I am from Grosseto. I recommend you Castiglione della Pescaia: small beach
with rocks but with wonderful landscape.
If you prefer sand beaches there are lots in Marina di Grosseto, Principina
a Mare and Le Marze.
About parking: because of the crowd of tourists is better going early in the
morning to the beaches the majority of them are free).
Actually beaches are all "blue flag".
Have a nice holidays here.
Ciao
Ricky

Old July 18th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Thomas

I'm taking the family to Tuscany. I'd like to give the kids a day by
the beach.

Can anyone recommend any decent beaches between Viareggio and
Grosseto.
What about parking?

The kids prefer little coves / rock pools to big sandy beaches.

Try Monte Argentario (spelling)
avoid the big beach near Orbetello, but if you head to Porto Ercole, then
drive up the hill towards tha castle, keep going there is a car park and a
path down to very secluded beach..

Old July 18th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Ricky

"blackbat" ha scritto nel messaggio

Thanks Ricky.

"..."
However we are staying in Montespertoli so Castiglione della Pescaia
would probably mean a 2 hour drive. We would go there if it is just
what we want.
Do you know of any near Cecina? or Livorno? - It is just that little
bit nearer to us.

"..."

Yes, Livorno and Cecina are nearer to Montespertoli. Livorno is about 70 km.
far from it and Cecina about 90 km. I cannot recommend you Livorno because
is a harbour and industrial city with small sandy beaches. I could recommend
you Castiglioncello (near Livorno urban area) but I must say you that is a
small coast town with little sand and rocky beach. Castiglione della Pescaia
is about 140 km far from Montespertoli (1 hour and half far 'a drive) but
more impressive and with nice landscapes. Castiglione della Pescaia is also
a "blue flag" beach and I think is more important.
Ciao
Ricky

Old July 19th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Ricky

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:30:25 GMT, "Ricky" wrote:

"blackbat" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .

"..."
Any thoughts on Cecina?

blackbat /\x/\

Cecina is the tuscan etruscan area that has been forgotten for centuries and
has been valued only in the second half of the XX century. If you are
interested in trekking this is the best area: fine landscapes and lot of
Natural Parks near the coast. There are lots of website of the area but
written in italian.Cecina has a sandy and flat beach. Coast is called "Costa
degli Etruschi". Good... but not impressive anyway. I can suggest you Punta
Ala (southbound after Follonica) a impressive and green area with coast
rocks and small beaches with wonderful landscapes. Punta Ala and Cala
Violina are the best beaches I ever seen in tuscan coast but of course are
farer than Cecina and Castiglioncello.
Give a look to these websites: Cala Violina and Cala Martina
http://www.tuscany-charming.it/en/places/follonica.asp or
http://www.prolocofollonica.it/itinerari.htm
Punta Ala http://www.puntaala.net/index_en.htm
I think you will really enjoy here. Have a nice trip to Tuscany
Ciao
Ricky