European trip ?'s

Old January 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default European trip ?'s

The Reid wrote:

There are those who like a good argument, there are saloon bar
experts and those who ally themselves with a technology and wont
see any advantages/disadvantages where it does not suit them to
do so. Such is life.

Agreed.

Usually the argument revolves around D v Film, we are having
the slightly more unusual PS v SLR.(although some seem
unable to separate the two concepts).

It is odd to see it flame up, since "do less with less" is an
unfaultable physical law.

Unfortunately the marketing face of cameras seems to be *megapixels*
and some people genuinely believe that is the one significant feature of
camera design!

"Do more marketing with less variables" :-) t

That way the customer thinks its simple and buys more compulsively,
instead of actually researching his needs and the variables. Its their
choice, just like they can choose to believe GM that driving a big SUV
will cure their impotency.

I see Konica Minolta are dropping out of film and if the FT has
it right today, also DSLR!

Interesting on how it is on the heels of Nikon's announcement of the
discontinuation of most of their film line...just enough time to
finalize things after they saw how Nikon's stock price reacted.

I'm glad I replaced my Minolta slide scanner with Nikon...

FWIW, which one? I've been debating replace an old single-feed Nikon
LS-1000 with a scanner that can bulk-feed 35mm. The Pacific Image
Powerslide 3600 gets horrible consumer reviews (jamming), which
pragmatically means the pricy Nikon Coolscan 5000 w/optional feeder.

Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk"

For some reason, I wasn't able to get your site to come up during your
dialog w/EIB until today...you have some really nice stuff - - - and
its also evident that you've got some nice hiking trails. I'll have to
remember to drop you a note when we finally get around to dayhiking in
the Hadrian's Wall area.

-hh

Old January 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to -hh

just like they can choose to believe GM that driving a big SUV
will cure their impotency.

how foolish they are, everybody know you need a sportscar for
that :-)

I see Konica Minolta are dropping out of film and if the FT has
it right today, also DSLR!

Interesting on how it is on the heels of Nikon's announcement of the
discontinuation of most of their film line...just enough time to
finalize things after they saw how Nikon's stock price reacted.

business I suppose.

I'm glad I replaced my Minolta slide scanner with Nikon...

FWIW, which one? I've been debating replace an old single-feed Nikon
LS-1000 with a scanner that can bulk-feed 35mm. The Pacific Image
Powerslide 3600 gets horrible consumer reviews (jamming), which
pragmatically means the pricy Nikon Coolscan 5000 w/optional feeder.

I've got Coolscan V, I didnt feel the need for bulk feed, I don't
get that many good shots! I'm impressed by the Ice dust removal
although I haven't much experience yet to see if it sometimes
removes things you don't want it to.

Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk"

For some reason, I wasn't able to get your site to come up during your
dialog w/EIB until today...you have some really nice stuff - - -

thanks!

and
its also evident that you've got some nice hiking trails. I'll have to
remember to drop you a note when we finally get around to dayhiking in
the Hadrian's Wall area.

I'm afraid I haven't done Hadrian's wall, a post to
uk.rec.walking will gets lots of good info though.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid wrote:
Following up to eatinBelgium

there that wasn't so bad was it

no, I enjoy waffling on on usenet, why else would I be in this
thread? What do you get out of it?
--

I get to talk to wonderful people like yourself

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to eatinBelgium

no, I enjoy waffling on on usenet, why else would I be in this
thread? What do you get out of it?
--

I get to talk to wonderful people like yourself

I thought that might be it :-)
Old January 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid wrote:
Following up to eatinBelgium

no, I enjoy waffling on on usenet, why else would I be in this
thread? What do you get out of it?
--

I get to talk to wonderful people like yourself

I thought that might be it :-)

something to make you happy.....

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Old January 29th, 2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

eetinBelgië wrote:
The Reid wrote:
Following up to eatinBelgium

no, I enjoy waffling on on usenet, why else would I be in this
thread? What do you get out of it?
--
I get to talk to wonderful people like yourself

I thought that might be it :-)

something to make you happy.....

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

and an independent review

Kodak EasyShare V570
REVIEW DATE: 01.02.06
Total posts: 1
$399.95

By Terry Sullivan
It is easy to see what makes new Kodak EasyShare V570 unique: The
camera has two Schneider Kreuznach C-Variogon lenses. (It also has
5.0-megapixel CCDs to accompany each lens, but those are on the
inside.) This is not some new-fangled specialty camera sporting
binocular or 3D image capture but an ultracompact digital camera that
gives you the benefit of both a wide-angle and a 5X zoom lens in one
device. The combination is very compelling, but Kodak had to make some
compromises to offer this photographic flexibility.

In its product literature, Kodak says the camera has a 5X optical zoom
from 23mm to 117mm (figures given are a 35mm equivalent). In fact,
there's one fixed lens at 23mm that lets you zoom digitally. The actual
zoom lens is a 39- to 117mm zoom, which is a 3X optical, or continuous,
zoom. Hence when you disengage the digital zoom, the screen image on
the LCD jumps from 23mm to the much closer 39mm. So, in my view, when
Kodak says that the "optical zoom lens produces a total 5X optical zoom
range," it's not being entirely accurate about the process.

The only other aspect that we weren't completely pleased with was the
fact that there is a large jump from the 23mm wide-angle lens to the
start of the zoom range at 39mm. We would have liked the zoom lens
range to start at 35mm or less. Moreover, at $399.95 direct, the V570's
a tad on the pricey side.

That said, the camera has the unique quality of housing two lenses in
one 5MP camera: a 23mm 2.8/f fixed lens and a 39- to 117mm zoom lens
with a maximum aperture of f/3.9 on the wide-angle end of the zoom and
f/4.4 on the telephoto end.

For us, the real appeal of this camera is the 23mm wide-angle view.
It's great for capturing landscapes, interior settings, or any picture
where you're fairly close to your subject. Like any wide-angle lens,
using this one will distort images. Shooting with the 23mm lens is can
be a very cool compositional tool, enabling you to work with
interesting distortions or views that you generally get only on an SLR
with a wide-angle lens. Just be sure to take some test shots to see
what the distortion looks like. Portraits in particular can be great,
as long as you are hip to wide-angle distortions.

The camera has much the same look and feel as the recent V-series
cameras, a necessary update to the rather stodgy Kodak designs of the
past. This camera has an almost art deco look to it, as if it were
designed in the 1920s.

There is no glass viewfinder, but you'll find a bright 2.5-inch LCD,
which is fairly readable in bright light. There are 22 scene modes to
choose from, although there are no manual modes. It also includes a
snazzy photo frame dock.

The Kodak EasyShare V570 lets you shoot VGA video at 30 frames per
second, which is saved as a QuickTime movie. You can shoot as much as
80 minutes of video (depending in the length of the SD card). The video
was a little jumpy, but the image looked pretty good. We felt there
were some aberrations, which gave a slight sensation of looking through
marbled glass at times. Both lenses worked well for shooting video; you
can use the 3X optical zoom while shooting and capture video with the
23mm fixed lens.

In our lab and real-world testing, simulated daylight images revealed
some noise and slight artifacts. Overall, the images were pretty sharp
and displayed good color saturation and matching, with little
noticeable fringing. Overall exposure was very good, but the V570 did
have a tendency to blow out some of the highlights.

The coverage was problematic in our flash test shot. Put simply, the
flash just didn't seem strong enough. We were disappointed in the
amount of noise we found in the flash shot as well; the noise was
colored and more prominent than it was in the daylight shot. We were
also surprised to find that the image was taken at ISO 200. Looking at
the amount of noise, we expected it to be around ISO 800.

Color saturation was pretty good, but the increase in noise affected
the color accuracy and saturation to a degree. Again, there was very
little fringing in the image. Overall we found just average image
quality.

On our resolution test, the image registered 1,375 lines, about average
for a 5MP camera. The bootup was speedy, taking 1.8 seconds. As we've
found in many recent Kodak cameras, the recycle time was excellent. The
V570 takes just 1.2 seconds to reset between shots, which is
remarkable. Unfortunately, we did find some shutter lag in the camera.

We tested the distortion of both the 23mm wide-angle and the 39- to
114mm zoom lens. Even with the distortion compensation feature turned
on, we found obvious, strong barrel distortion with the 23mm fixed
lens. There was a bit more distortion with it turned off. Still, for a
23mm lens, this amount of distortion is not unusual, and considering
the small size of the lens, we think the concept is pretty innovative.
With the zoom lens, we found only a bit of barrel distortion in the
wide-angle end and just a slight bit of pincushion distortion at the
zoom end.

At this point, the V570 rates as a very good camera for an
ultracompact. It's difficult to compare it directly with other cameras,
because its dual-lens construction is unique among compact cameras.
Nonetheless based on our testing, it just doesn't quite reach the
status of an Editors' Choice.

Benchmark Results:

Boot time (seconds): 1.8
Recycle time (seconds): 1.2
Resolution: 1,350x1,400

Old January 30th, 2006, 08:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to eetinBelgië

"but Kodak had to make some
compromises to offer this photographic flexibility."

do you still not get it? Oh sorry, I forgot you're the troll.
Old January 30th, 2006, 08:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to eetinBelgië

something to make you happy.....

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

sounds like an interesting little camera for those its relevant
to.
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid schreef:

Following up to eetinBelgië

something to make you happy.....

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

sounds like an interesting little camera for those its relevant
to.

I thought you liked wide angle !!!!

whats wrong with this camera, or are you just being snobby ?

Old January 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to eetinBelgië

sounds like an interesting little camera for those its relevant
to.

I thought you liked wide angle !!!!

whats wrong with this camera,

look like it could be a nice little P&S