Low sodiem meals

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Fred Kay

Default Low sodiem meals

Do all lnes serve low sodem meals? Fred

Old March 31st, 2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Fred Kay wrote:
Do all lnes serve low sodem meals? Fred

Yes, you can arrange this on all the cruise lines. First I would have
your travel agent request a low sodium diet, then as soon as you board
the ship go see the MaitreD and make sure he is aware of your diet.
Every night the waiter will give you the menu for the next nights dinner
and help you choose what fits your dietary needs.

Breakfast and lunch in the dining room, they will also prepare your food
the way you need it. In the buffet I have found you are pretty much on
your own and it is much harder to stay low sodium.

sue
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:23:14 -0400, Sue Mullen
wrote:

Yes, you can arrange this on all the cruise lines. First I would have
your travel agent request a low sodium diet, then as soon as you board
the ship go see the MaitreD and make sure he is aware of your diet.
Every night the waiter will give you the menu for the next nights dinner
and help you choose what fits your dietary needs.

Breakfast and lunch in the dining room, they will also prepare your food
the way you need it. In the buffet I have found you are pretty much on
your own and it is much harder to stay low sodium.

sue

If someone asks for low sodium on a cruise (or plane), how low is the
sodium? I can have a reasonable amount of sodium but find that normal
meals often have a unnecessarily high amount of sodium.

It's interesting reading recipes from different restaurants like this
site I saw today. I don't really know why any dish has to have 1800
mg. of sodium. I find that when I travel, even though I try to be
careful, I wind up gaining a fair amount of weight that I will then
lose when I get home.

Old April 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

wrote:

Yes, you can arrange this on all the cruise lines. First I would have
your travel agent request a low sodium diet, then as soon as you board
the ship go see the MaitreD and make sure he is aware of your diet.
Every night the waiter will give you the menu for the next nights dinner
and help you choose what fits your dietary needs.

Breakfast and lunch in the dining room, they will also prepare your food
the way you need it. In the buffet I have found you are pretty much on
your own and it is much harder to stay low sodium.

sue

If someone asks for low sodium on a cruise (or plane), how low is the
sodium? I can have a reasonable amount of sodium but find that normal
meals often have a unnecessarily high amount of sodium.

On a cruise the MaitreD knows which foods are higher then others and
will will tell you. They will suggest a clear broth before they add
other ingredients that raise the sodium level. They also will suggest
doing without a sauce which is high in sodium.

sue
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

On a HAL cruise, Karen ordered a low sodium meal, to see what her
clients would be getting. She said that it was very, very bland. On
the other hand, the Kosher meal was very tasty. Many fruits like the
tomato have sodium (natural Salt) in them. A meal can be cooked with
absolutely no table salt at all, yet be loaded with sodium naturally
occurring in fruits, vegetables and meats. Are there exchange guides
for those on low sodium diets as there are for diabetics?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:02:57 -0400, Brian K
wrote:

On a HAL cruise, Karen ordered a low sodium meal, to see what her
clients would be getting. She said that it was very, very bland. On
the other hand, the Kosher meal was very tasty. Many fruits like the
tomato have sodium (natural Salt) in them. A meal can be cooked with
absolutely no table salt at all, yet be loaded with sodium naturally
occurring in fruits, vegetables and meats. Are there exchange guides
for those on low sodium diets as there are for diabetics?

I'm not looking for food with no salt because I have found them bland.
I'm just looking for something that isn't loaded with it. Some food is
so heavily salted that i don't like it.
I am trying to be careful because I had a heart attack a year ago but
I'm not on a particularly restrictive diet. I'm just trying to keep it
to what the regular recommendation is.

Old April 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 4/3/2009 4:02 PM, Brian K wrote:

On a HAL cruise, Karen ordered a low sodium meal, to see what her
clients would be getting. She said that it was very, very bland. On the
other hand, the Kosher meal was very tasty.

The kosher food would almost definitely be a pre-packaged meal.
I would assume they make the low sodium meal themselves. Maybe
they need better recipes.

Bill
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

wrote:

Many fruits like the
tomato have sodium (natural Salt) in them. A meal can be cooked with
absolutely no table salt at all, yet be loaded with sodium naturally
occurring in fruits, vegetables and meats.

Unprocessed tomatoes don't contain much sodium. Canned tomatoes, on
the other hand, are often packed with salt.

S&W sells unsalted canned diced tomatoes - 50 mg Na per serving, vs
250 in the regular version.

Old April 5th, 2009, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

wrote:
On a HAL cruise, Karen ordered a low sodium meal, to see what her
clients would be getting. She said that it was very, very bland. On
the other hand, the Kosher meal was very tasty. Many fruits like the
tomato have sodium (natural Salt) in them. A meal can be cooked with
absolutely no table salt at all, yet be loaded with sodium naturally
occurring in fruits, vegetables and meats. Are there exchange guides
for those on low sodium diets as there are for diabetics?

I'm not looking for food with no salt because I have found them bland.
I'm just looking for something that isn't loaded with it. Some food is
so heavily salted that i don't like it.
I am trying to be careful because I had a heart attack a year ago but
I'm not on a particularly restrictive diet. I'm just trying to keep it
to what the regular recommendation is.

My husband's doctor said that he did not have to restrict salt even
after his heart attack. I don't like salt much though, and never use
it at the table. I find that soft drinks are too salty for me.

But on a ship I have not found that there was a problem with the
regular food.
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

wrote:

On a HAL cruise, Karen ordered a low sodium meal, to see what her
clients would be getting. She said that it was very, very bland. On
the other hand, the Kosher meal was very tasty. Many fruits like the
tomato have sodium (natural Salt) in them. A meal can be cooked with
absolutely no table salt at all, yet be loaded with sodium naturally
occurring in fruits, vegetables and meats. Are there exchange guides
for those on low sodium diets as there are for diabetics?

I'm not looking for food with no salt because I have found them bland.
I'm just looking for something that isn't loaded with it. Some food is
so heavily salted that i don't like it.
I am trying to be careful because I had a heart attack a year ago but
I'm not on a particularly restrictive diet. I'm just trying to keep it
to what the regular recommendation is.

I eat low sodium all the time at home, never add table salt and avoid
most processed foods. I like fresh, and I like to use real spices! So
when I cruise, depending on how good I wanna be, I def notice the high
salt levels, but I try to be careful, but I like breakfast sausage,
lol...a cruise treat!

Jeff