Royal Caribbean lectures?

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

Default Royal Caribbean lectures?

In article ,
Stu wrote:

If you knew where you were stopping beforehand, you could of googled
the maps, costs you nothing just your time .

I buy an old Fodors or some similar book for their maps. It isn't
like the Old Fort in San Juan has changed all that much from 2005 to
now.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

No they're not, as they aren't part of the cruise contract. You're not
entitled to a map for each port. You're not entitled to any map at all.

You're right, if they didn't give me a map, I couldn't sue for breach
of contract.

I still don't view the map in the same category as a gift or
"freebie." I agree it would be ungracious if I made a comment about a
gift, say a complimentary round of drinks or the prize awarded to the
trivia winners.

By the cruise lines' own business practices, a port map is an expected
customer service. A cruise is a *travel and tourism* product, after
all. Unless it's a crossing, the seller has advertised ports of call
as an integral part of the cruise travel product. The bargain I've
made with the cruise line is, I'm going to "leave the driving" to you,
and you're going to take me out to sea and, hopefully, to a few
tourist destinations. And when we arrive at that destination, yes, I
expect to be given a map, just as an area map is usual to a hotel
stay, an exhibition map accompanies a museum visit, etc.

It's wholly unrealistic to expect a ship to tie up at the pier and say
"go, have a nice day" to thousands of people. (And aside from
providing expected customer service, I think the cruise line's
attorneys and the receiving port would both lodge any number of
objections to the "no maps for you" approach. There are significant
safety and traffic concerns separate and apart from traveler
enjoyment.)

I'm a huge proponent of travelers doing their own research. I am not
suggesting the cruise line's port map is a replacement for coming
prepared. But the fact is, many people aren't willing to or don't have
the opportunity to do their homework. And what about the occasion when
the cruise line substitutes a port mid-cruise? It always goes over so
well when the cruise line says, "so sorry we didn't make the port you
wanted, but read the contract, you're not entitled." I'm sure they'd
get brownie points for adding, "and while you're reading the contract,
note, you're not entiteld to a map of this unexpected port, either."

What's the fuss, anyway? I am only asking that they improve something
they already do! And it's an improvement that would require a very
modest investment in addition to the regular map tweaking that occurs
to edit the restaurant and retail ads.

Diana