The California coast at christmas

Old October 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM
sparrow

Default The California coast at christmas

I will be on the pacific coast highway this christmas and I was looking
for some secluded place to stay on the 25th, 26th and possibly 27th. I
want to get away from everyone and everything. I was looking in the Big
Sur area, but nothing has panned out. Anywhere decently secluded north
of LA and south of San Francisco will do. I have fallen for Big Sur
though and would be the happiest around that neighborhood.

I tried Ripplewood resorts (www.ripplewoodresort.com), which would be
perfect but they said no check in or check out on the 25th and minimum
stay of 4 nights, which won't work.

I am willing to spend up to $100 a night, it would be best if there
were 2 beds as my brother is coming as well, but we can always roll out
the sleeping bag.

I heard that there is a monastery where people can stay somewhere
around the hills of Big Sur, but that seems a bit intense. Does anyone
know anything about that?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Much thanks.

Old October 11th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Big sur gets all the press and all the visitors. And, there are not
that many places to stay.

You will probably have to be content with going south. Cayucos is
better-known than it used to be, but is still quite a bit less famous
than Ripplewood, etc.

Old October 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Todd Michel McComb

In article .com,
sparrow wrote:
Anywhere decently secluded north of LA and south of San Francisco
will do. I have fallen for Big Sur though and would be the happiest
around that neighborhood.

If you're willing to deviate from this range, I personally think
the Mendocino Coast is better than Big Sur in every way.

Old October 11th, 2005, 07:41 PM

In article ,
Todd Michel McComb wrote:
If you're willing to deviate from this range, I personally think
the Mendocino Coast is better than Big Sur in every way.

I don't know about "every way", but the northern California coast
(north of San Francisco and Napa) is certainly less crowded than Big Sur.
There are lots of bed & breakfasts and small inns up there.
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Patty Winter

In article .com,
sparrow wrote:

I heard that there is a monastery where people can stay somewhere
around the hills of Big Sur, but that seems a bit intense. Does anyone
know anything about that?

Perhaps Tassajara Zen Mountain Center? Wonderful place. They're only
open to visitors from April-September, though.

Patty

Old October 11th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Patty Winter wrote:
In article .com,
sparrow wrote:

I heard that there is a monastery where people can stay somewhere
around the hills of Big Sur, but that seems a bit intense. Does anyone
know anything about that?

Perhaps Tassajara Zen Mountain Center? Wonderful place. They're only
open to visitors from April-September, though.

It's New Camaldoli Hermitage:
http://www.contemplation.com/Hermitage/home.html

Old October 12th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Patty Winter

In article . com,
Carmen L. Abruzzi wrote:

It's New Camaldoli Hermitage:
http://www.contemplation.com/Hermitage/home.html

Are you sure? I see mention of retreat rooms, but nothing like ordinary
motel reservations.

Patty

Old October 12th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Bob Allison

In article ,
(Patty Winter) wrote:

It's New Camaldoli Hermitage:
http://www.contemplation.com/Hermitage/home.html

Are you sure? I see mention of retreat rooms, but nothing like ordinary
motel reservations.

New Camaldoni is a monastery that will allow guests a room and meals
(vegetarian) for retreat/meditation purposes. I suggest you contact them
(e-mail on web page). There may be a waiting list

Keep in mind this is a Franciscan Monastery, not a Holiday Inn.

About 10 miles south of New Camaldoni is a resort called Treebones.
http://www.treebonesresort.com/
It is a little above your expected price, but everything in Big Sur is
higher than "in town". (I lived there for 17 years)

Another 'motel" in the area is Lucia Lodge. located about 2 miles North of
the road to the hermatage. Not "away from it all" but you can investigate
the area during the day
http://www.lucialodge.com/mall/c121/s14406/

Avoid the resort called Gorda Springs Resort

There are several National Forest campgrounds, but they are for tent or RV
(Caravan) camping. That time of the year is liable to be cold and rainy.
In fact the road may be washed out. It is covered with mudslides often in
the winter. Sometime for hours, sometime for weeks. In the early 80's it
was closed for 13 months.

I found this webpage
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g240329-Big_Sur_California-Hotels.html
which lists our tourist accomodations. As you can see there aren't a lot.
Most of our visitors come in the summer and come prepared to rough it.
(camping)

If you need more info, post on this NG I check in every couple of days

Bob

--
I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet

Bob
in Carmel, CA
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:00 PM
sparrow

I have looked at the tripadvisor page and found 3 places that are
possibilities:

Deetjens, Glenoaks, and Fernwood.

Fernwood looks perfect, but do you think that the tent-cabins will be
too cold in the middle of winter? I have never been in Big Sur at
wintertime and do not really know what I am in for.

Does anyone know anything about Glenoaks or Deetjens? Fernwood looks
like the most secluded, but I could be wrong.

Old October 13th, 2005, 11:12 PM
MadHatter

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't find Fernwood to be too
appealing. We stayed at Glen Oaks, and I seem to remember it being
fine.