Unseasoned traveller questions

Old August 5th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Juliana L Holm

Default Unseasoned traveller questions

Tea, coffee, buiscuits will be fine. Fruit and seeds are forbidden.

Chocolate is fine. My mum used to bring Hobnobs back regularly when she
lived in Ehgland.

Nothing flammible is permitted. That will include your gas hair thingy.

Julie

Sarah wrote:
I'm taking a rare trip abroad next week (to NYC) and I'm wondering about
laws concerning what I can take into America.

I have vague recollections about not being able to take in any food when
I last went to the States some 12 years ago, but I'm probably wrong.
Now I have a family who will probably munch throughout their journey and
may well appreciate some familiar 'bits' during the week I am not sure
what to put in the hand luggage. For instance, we would like to take
some tea bags and coffee as we often find hotels don't supply
enough....maybe biscuits? I know (well I think) we can't take in fruit,
or seeds? but tea, coffee and biscuits? I know that I can buy tea and
coffee in NYC, but maybe we would like it before I get around to grocery
shopping.

I also have a travel hair whatsit that uses a small gas canister. I am
thinking that I might not be able to take that on the plane. Does
anyone know?

One last question. I am meeting a couple of internet friends out there
who live in NYC. I want to take them a back of chocolate digestive
biscuits each :-) (long story). Okay, they'll probably be crushed and
melted by the time they get them, but I need to know if I'll be allowed
to take them. If not, can anyone else think of something decidedly
British and inexpensive (like biscuits) that they might appreciate?

Many, many thanks
Sarah

--
Julie
**********

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:16 PM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:57:16 GMT, Sarah
wrote:

I know that I can buy tea and
coffee in NYC, but maybe we would like it before I get around to grocery
shopping.

Also, if you are as a experienced a tea drniker as many Brits, you
will agree that not everything called "tea" is potable. Bring your
favorite blend, especially if your preference is "loose tea", rather
than bags. Loose teas are increasly difficult to find in American
stores - and even then, the selection is poor.

But there are tea sellers worth visiting. There's an excellent one on
Christopher Street, north side of the street, a block or two east of
the PATH station. It looks as if it has been there for many years; big
plate glass windows, dark fragrant interior, many barrels and sacks
lying about and lots of shelves fitted with cabinets and drawers. And
of course, the staff knows exactly what each tea is and why you might
want to try it.

There are also tea sellers in Chinatown with some very interesting
variations worth a sip but communication can be a problem unlessr you
speak a dialect.

One last question. I am meeting a couple of internet friends out there
who live in NYC. I want to take them a back of chocolate digestive
biscuits each :-) (long story).

Gee, Sarah. In early grade school here in America, we are all
cautioned by the teacher that if we bring cookies or candy to class,
we must bring enough to share with everyone. Let's see now . . . at
last count we have something like 9 million people here. One biscuit
each, assuming 12 biscuits per package . . . that comeb to . . . hmm
.. . . Maybe you should just send a package to me privately and I won't
tell anyone else.

Have a good visit. You are coming to NY at a good time.

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Pan

wrote:

I'm taking a rare trip abroad next week (to NYC) and I'm wondering about
laws concerning what I can take into America.

I have vague recollections about not being able to take in any food when
I last went to the States some 12 years ago, but I'm probably wrong.

If it's in a can or jar, it's generally fine. The things the U.S.
Department of Agriculture is concerned with are those that might carry
agricultural diseases - for example fresh fruits, vegetables, and
unprocessed meats. Some cheeses are at least in theory (not always in
practice, I understand) forbidden entry, too (this applies to raw milk
cheeses that are aged under 60 days or something like that).

[snip]
For instance, we would like to take
some tea bags and coffee as we often find hotels don't supply
enough....maybe biscuits?

Should be fine.

[snip]
I also have a travel hair whatsit that uses a small gas canister. I am
thinking that I might not be able to take that on the plane. Does
anyone know?

When in doubt, put it in your checked baggage. If you're not planning
on checking anything, leave the travel hair whatsit at home.

One last question. I am meeting a couple of internet friends out there
who live in NYC. I want to take them a back of chocolate digestive
biscuits each :-) (long story). Okay, they'll probably be crushed and
melted by the time they get them, but I need to know if I'll be allowed
to take them. If not, can anyone else think of something decidedly
British and inexpensive (like biscuits) that they might appreciate?

I don't know. Good biscuits sound look a good idea to me.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Juliana L Holm

Pan wrote:
If it's in a can or jar, it's generally fine. The things the U.S.
Department of Agriculture is concerned with are those that might carry
agricultural diseases - for example fresh fruits, vegetables, and
unprocessed meats. Some cheeses are at least in theory (not always in
practice, I understand) forbidden entry, too (this applies to raw milk
cheeses that are aged under 60 days or something like that).

No meat at all is allowed. Not even processed or even canned.

I also have a travel hair whatsit that uses a small gas canister. I am
thinking that I might not be able to take that on the plane. Does
anyone know?

When in doubt, put it in your checked baggage. If you're not planning
on checking anything, leave the travel hair whatsit at home.

No combustables are allowed in checked baggage either. You cannot bring the
gas canister at all.

One last question. I am meeting a couple of internet friends out there
who live in NYC. I want to take them a back of chocolate digestive
biscuits each :-) (long story). Okay, they'll probably be crushed and
melted by the time they get them, but I need to know if I'll be allowed
to take them. If not, can anyone else think of something decidedly
British and inexpensive (like biscuits) that they might appreciate?

I don't know. Good biscuits sound look a good idea to me.

Real British tea is good, too.

Julie

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Juliana L Holm

Sarah wrote:
Juliana L Holm wrote:

Cheers. Perhaps I'll get them Chocolate Hobnobs.

By the way, my Mum used to put them inside her shoes in the suitcase, and
they hardly ever got broken at all.

Julie

--
Julie
**********

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:45 PM
PeterL

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message
Sarah wrote:
Juliana L Holm wrote:

Cheers. Perhaps I'll get them Chocolate Hobnobs.

By the way, my Mum used to put them inside her shoes in the suitcase, and
they hardly ever got broken at all.

They must taste just ducky after being in a shoe.

Julie

--
Julie