Boston

Old April 4th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Roxbury Ranger

Gee, this kind of hostility is really indicative of someone who - for some
reason known only to him/herself - has a serious axe to grind. For the
record, I'm a Boston transplant, and I rarely run across the kind of
snobbery noted in this post (really a sad, pathetic sterotype from an era
when "the Cabots spoke to the Lodges and the Lodges spoke to ..."). And, I
don't find Bostonians to be particularly rude either. So, I guess I'm living
in an alternate reality from you.

But, to get back to the original point of this post, which was to recommend
places to go and things to see:

- In addition to the Freedom Trail, you should tour the neighborhoods within
walking distance of downtown (easily accessible by foot). These would
include: The North End, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, South End, South Boston. All
of these have interesting sites and stuff to do. Just get a guide book.

- As at least one poster has said, you should see the MFA - a truly great
museum with the second largest collection in a single location in the US.
This is easily accessible via the Green Line.

- The Harvard U. museums, such as the Fogg, are also great. Well worth the
trip to Harvard Square using the Red Line.

- If you want to go farther afield, the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem is
great, and recently completed a large expansion. You'll need a car to get
there though. (You could take commuter rail, but it's not as easy as a
subway).

- The Red Sox are astronomically expensive to see if you don't have season
tickets - be prepared.

There are really a lot of things to do in Boston; it just depends on your
taste. There's world class shopping - for example - and an excellent park
system. My personal favorite is the Arnold Arboretum, with woody plants from
all over the world - extraordinarily beautiful, especially in the spring.
It's a short ride from downtown on the Orange Line to the Forest Hills
station.

Hope this gives you a start.

wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:00:29 -0500, Laura Billmers
wrote:

Good grief, people. It was just a typo. I suppose I am the only human
being who has ever replied to this newsgroup and made a typo.

MLD wrote:
"Laura Billmers" wrote in message

It is called the Boston Common. It is definitely not called Commons!!!
It used to be a common grazing land for animals owned by residents.
If you add an S, everybody will know instantly that you did not read a
guidebook or do your hoomework before coming to Boston.

You got to be kidding me! Oh, BTW, it's "homework" not "hoomework".
Anybody ready your post will know instantly that you never learned to
spell
"homework"
MLD

kids....please...

Besides....they'll KNOW instantly that you are NOT from Boston
anyway...and will be condescendingly rude about it... because you had
the misfortune to be born somewhere other than Boston...unlike New
York or Jersey ( where even the wait staff) is just plain brassy...the
Bostonian's have the whole business down to an art form.

Been there (actually more than a couple times...benefit of the doubt
and all of that) ...and NEVER again...

Carla (...who just returned from "The Mouse" and thinks it is a bit
like Rick's Cafe in New Orleans...they'll love you until the money is
gone!)

Old April 4th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Roxbury Ranger

In the interest of accuracy, after I posted my post, I realized that I
have - often - referred to it as the "Commons" myself. Oops... I guess it is
interchangeable after all.

"Roxbury Ranger" wrote in message
At the risk of adding to this incredible pettiness, I live three miles
from it, as the crow flies, and Laura is absolutely correct. It's called
the "Common," not the "Commons." It's been the "Common" since 1630, and I
doubt that will change.

There is a restaurant called "The Commons" in Little Compton, RI, but
that's an entirely different story.
"MLD" wrote in message

"Laura Billmers" wrote in message
I know Amherst well. My Kids went to UMass/Amherst. There you have the
issue of whether to pronounce the h in Amherst.

But in my personal experience on the greater Boston area,(I have lived
here for 30 years), the park in the heart of Boston is known as the
Boston Common. Similar to Legal Seafoods. The restaurant is not Legals,
but Legal. Commons is often locally referred to when talking about
eating facilties, like in some universities. That is just my
experience, FWIW. I never intended to be nasty or to offend anyone.
Sorry if anyone took offence.

Laura

wrote:
I live in amherst, about 80 miles west, and everyone here calls it the
commons......

even on your local news they will say "ice sculptures fill the
commons", or "police were called to the commons to maintain the
peace",
etc........

Chuck

Laura-- It's called the "Commons"--who cares what the guidebooks say!!!
If
you lived in this area for 30 years where have you been hiding?? Tell me
do
you really say something like --"I'm going into Boston and I'm going to
take
a walk through the Boston Common." If you do, besides being a first
class
nit picker, you're out of touch.
MLD

Old April 4th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Laura Billmers

Roxbury Ranger: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

And for what it is worth, try a Google search for "Boston Common". It
turns up literally 14,600,000 hits for Boston Common.

The link http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomt...stoncommon.asp is
the link for the City of Boston. I am guessing the City of Boston ought
to know!

Laura

Old April 4th, 2005, 10:41 PM
GQ

On 4/4/05 2:30 PM, Laura Billmers wrote:
And for what it is worth, try a Google search for "Boston Common". It
turns up literally 14,600,000 hits for Boston Common.

So what does that prove? Do a Google search for "Boston Commons" and you get
over one million hits. Does this suggests that 1 in 15 people think that it ok
to call it the "Commons"?

BTW, its not that I disagree with what you are saying, but the manner in which
you say it (or write it) comes off as being anal and pretentious. Personally, I
think USENET is an _informal_ exchange of information between people around the
world. No need to harp on others over the use of an "s". Go back and read some
of your previous posts. Whether or not you meant it, you really should think
about how you are being perceived.

As an example, in your original post, why not just say "BTW, while a lot people
might say "Commons", the name is actually "Boston Common", without an 's'. It
used to be a common grazing land for animals owned by residents." Simple, short
and not inflammatory.

Old April 5th, 2005, 03:17 AM
MLD

"GQ" wrote in message
[...]

I couldn't care less about being corrected--normally I ignore such responses
and take it as lesson learned, but you hit the nail on the head. The
response to "commons vs common" was so anal, snobbish and meant to degrade
rather than inform that I decided to pull the chain a bit.
MLD