Air France pax didn't waste time getting out...or suing

Old August 7th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Default Air France pax didn't waste time getting out...or suing

Within a day or two, it was ka-ching time with
lawyers and visions of sugarplums for the pax.

Okay, I try to be fair and put myself in their shoes.
I was talking to my wife about this and asked her what
she would want if she'd been on that flight, and managed
to get out pretty much unscathed, as most did last week
in Toronto. She said maybe a first class ticket to anywhere
they fly and $5000 for her trouble and inconvenience.
But these pax are gonna want lots more than that, as has
been reported.

As for me? Well, I'd want a refund on what I paid for
the flight to Toronto, and maybe $1000 for the trouble
of deplaning. I mean, I USUALLY don't run for my
life from a plane just before it bursts into flames,
while thumbing a ride on the freeway back to the airport.
But heck, the experience itself has to be worth something.
How many times in your life are you gonna have a day
like that? But I'm a pretty fit guy and likely wouldn't
suffer from after-effects of the experience, including
the "nightmares" that I'm sure many are going to claim.

So, what would YOU want if you'd been on that plane?

--
Cliff

Old August 7th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Retired

wrote in message
oups.com...

As for me? Well, I'd want a refund on what I paid for
the flight to Toronto, and maybe $1000 for the trouble
of deplaning. I mean, I USUALLY don't run for my
life from a plane just before it bursts into flames,
while thumbing a ride on the freeway back to the airport.
But heck, the experience itself has to be worth something.
How many times in your life are you gonna have a day
like that? But I'm a pretty fit guy and likely wouldn't
suffer from after-effects of the experience, including
the "nightmares" that I'm sure many are going to claim.

So, what would YOU want if you'd been on that plane?

--
Cliff

OK, may be a Long distance trip on the Airline (if they offer),
but except for that, I would thank God (take your pick) for
letting me off so lightly.
BTW, what happened to the hand-luggage (credit cards,
passports, ID papers etc) as one is always advised to leave
everything behind in case of an emergency.
What about the checked baggage ?

retired/uk.

ps. I would not have thought that Canadians had shyster lawyers,
but you live and learn.

Ken Dodd (the Sage of Knotty Ash) once said:
"We British have an advantage over other people
because we're not foreign"

Old August 7th, 2005, 09:00 PM

nobody wrote:
wrote:
As for me? Well, I'd want a refund on what I paid for
the flight to Toronto, and maybe $1000 for the trouble
of deplaning.

Every considered your luggage and especually hand luggage which is all burned
to a crisp because there is no longer a main cabin ?

I rarely fly with anything of great value, if I can avoid it. Okay,
so I'd throw in another $1k request for my luggage and stuff. This
was also in summer, so no need for lots of heavy clothes.

Consider also your vacation plans which are ruined,

Mine wouldn't be. I'd simply go buy replacement clothes and continue
on.

having to go through therapy,

Nope, not me.

and then the interrogations by investigators etc etc.

How much of that did they have to go through? Any at all? I
understand
that the crew was/will be grilled pretty well though.

(And yes,
while some pax were partying hours after the crash, they will have some form
of post traumatic stress a few days after).

Esp. if they are reminded by others that it will lead to a bigger
payoff.

I assume that foreigners flying to Toronto would do so with the intent of
leaving toronto ASAP to go to an interesting place.

Don't like Toronto? The glass floor at the CN Tower is pretty neat,
as is the Bata Shoe Museum. Other than being overrun by immigrants,
it ain't a bad place overall. Besides, many of the pax were probably
Toronto people coming home.

The airline is unlikely to sue the manufacturer. Manufacturer would counter
sue the airline due to maintenance practices. So perhaps it is easier for
passengers to sue everyone and let the courts decide who is guilty.

They (and their lawyers) are gonna go after whomever have the deep
pockets:
the airline, the airport, maybe even Airbus. Sounds like it was
probably
the captain's fault.

--
Cliff

Old August 7th, 2005, 11:55 PM

So, what would YOU want if you'd been on that plane?

I'd have to agree with your wife. Assuming I was uninjured, a first
class travel voucher with no restrictions and a few thou. In other
words, a nice vacation somewhere.

OTOH, if a shark was promising me riches just for agreeing to
participate in his lawsuit, I really don't know. It's easy for us to
say we wouldn't, but it's safe to bet that Air France and whoever else
is gonna get sued will try to settle out of court for a lot more than
$5k per person.

Old August 8th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Retired

wrote in message
ups.com...

The airline is unlikely to sue the manufacturer. Manufacturer would

counter
sue the airline due to maintenance practices. So perhaps it is easier

for
passengers to sue everyone and let the courts decide who is guilty.

They (and their lawyers) are gonna go after whomever have the deep
pockets:
the airline, the airport, maybe even Airbus. Sounds like it was
probably
the captain's fault.

--
Cliff

The Captain is over-all responsible BUT I understand it's the
co-pilot that did the landing.

retired/uk.

Old August 8th, 2005, 02:31 AM
stefan patric

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 09:26:39 -0700, clifffreeling wrote:

[...]

First, cover my total crash related medical bills, if any, and any
therapy, physical or emotional, I may have to go through. (I doubt if
any emotional therapy would be needed. I'm not a very emotional
person. And 10 years military service taught me how to handle what was
left.)

Additionally, I would want my airfare refunded, all my destroyed
luggage, clothes, personal items, etc. replaced at actual replacement cost
and not some bean counter's depreciated value concept of "replacement"
cost, and reimbursement of any hotel accommodations, rental car,
etc. that was paid for, but was unused or non-refundable. Then, I would
want free first class, air travel on Air France for me and my family for
the rest of my life for as many times per year as I wanted to any
destination Air France services either directly or through a contracted
carrier.

And $100,000 US, all taxes paid, for the lousy landing and scaring the
Hell out of me. ;-)

Stefan
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM
One Way Ticket

So, what would YOU want if you'd been on that plane?

First off, some sort of recognition for the crew and their ability to
remove all the passengers before the plane was toasted.
I would want some sort of compensation for my luggage, assuming that
such was lost. And then, I don't know, maybe a voucher which can be
used on another flight. Perhaps a chunk of air miles? What I would
not want is a for a bunch of lawyers to get rich because of the
unfortuante landing.

Old August 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM
George

Your suggestion is the most sensible proposed, so far, and reflects REALITY.

I notice that the Canadian authorities and their spin doctors are sure trying
to blame the Air France pilots, for ineptitude, rather than the incompetence
if NavCan!!

Wonder how much potential business is being lost to Air France, and Airbus?

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:31:53 -0700, stefan patric wrote:

[...]

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Retired wrote:

BTW, what happened to the hand-luggage (credit cards,
passports, ID papers etc) as one is always advised to leave
everything behind in case of an emergency.

I myself would have probably had passport & credits cards in my
wallet, along with all the other stuff in the drivers license,
and the usual, which would've likely left with me, as it's usually
in a pocket.

What about the checked baggage ?

I rarely check baggage, but my carryons would've gone up in smoke
as did all the checked baggage.

ps. I would not have thought that Canadians had shyster lawyers,
but you live and learn.

Ya kidding? Everywhere there are lawyers, there are shyster lawyers.
Most personal injury lawyers are nothing more than hawk-eyed maggots
always on the lookout for the big payday.

--
Cliff