Display of restaurant menus

Old October 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton

Default Display of restaurant menus

There is a discussion going on in rec.travel.europe that has, as
usual, moved off topic but the current theme is interesting. Is
it a legal requirement to display restaurant menus with prices
outside restaurants? I realize that this topic may be very large
since I suspect it is a State or Province law question.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old October 14th, 2006, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sally[_1_]

"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote in
:
There is a discussion going on in rec.travel.europe that has, as
usual, moved off topic but the current theme is interesting. Is
it a legal requirement to display restaurant menus with prices
outside restaurants? I realize that this topic may be very large
since I suspect it is a State or Province law question.

Some restaurants may post a menu for advertising, especially in a tourist
area, but I have never heard of a legal requirement anywhere in the USA.
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton

Hello, sally!
You wrote on Sat, 14 Oct 2006 14:14:52 +0000 (UTC):

s "James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote
s in :
?? There is a discussion going on in rec.travel.europe that
?? has, as usual, moved off topic but the current theme is
?? interesting. Is it a legal requirement to display
?? restaurant menus with prices outside restaurants? I
?? realize that this topic may be very large since I suspect
?? it is a State or Province law question.

s Some restaurants may post a menu for advertising, especially
s in a tourist area, but I have never heard of a legal
s requirement anywhere in the USA.

Around the DC area, a very large number do post menus but not,
AFAIK, all and some with pretensions post the menu without
prices:-)

Old October 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim\(yet another new home\)

"sally" wrote in message
"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote in
:
There is a discussion going on in rec.travel.europe that has, as
usual, moved off topic but the current theme is interesting. Is
it a legal requirement to display restaurant menus with prices
outside restaurants? I realize that this topic may be very large
since I suspect it is a State or Province law question.

Some restaurants may post a menu for advertising, especially in a tourist
area, but I have never heard of a legal requirement anywhere in the USA.

And what a PITA it is having to go inside to look at the menu
to see if you like what's on offer.

Every American may know what the menu is for franchise resturant
X, but the rest of us don't.

And is it allowed to have menus that don't show prices?

In Applebees[1] last week, none of the drinks were priced on the menu.

tim

[1] this was the best of the available choices, it certaily wouldn't
be my first choice

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Pat[_2_]

I have been to restaurants that did not use menus.

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

tim(yet another new home) wrote:

"sally" wrote in message

"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote in
m:

[...]

The cure for not showing the prices on the menu is to carefully ask the
server the price of each of the choices. If enough customers do this
they will quickly reappear.

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

Pat wrote:

I have been to restaurants that did not use menus.

It must be confusing to have customers writing so many notes before they
make any choice.

Old October 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

James Silverton wrote:

There is a discussion going on in rec.travel.europe that has, as
usual, moved off topic but the current theme is interesting. Is
it a legal requirement to display restaurant menus with prices
outside restaurants? I realize that this topic may be very large
since I suspect it is a State or Province law question.

It is not a requirement here in Ontario, but some places to as a
form of promotion. They are proud enough of their offerings that
they want people to know what they can get there.

Old October 14th, 2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton

Hello, Pat!
You wrote on Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:25:14 -0700:

P I have been to restaurants that did not use menus.

As others will doubtless say, that must be a PITA! It's bad
enough when the waiter (I do not regard this word as gender
specific) insists on reciting a long list of the day's specials,
usually without prices!

I haven't seen that old annoying custom lately where only one
menu, that of the presumed payer, has the prices.

Old October 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim\(yet another new home\)

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

The cure for not showing the prices on the menu is to carefully ask the
server the price of each of the choices. If enough customers do this they
will quickly reappear.

I suspect not ordering it and making it clear why will
have a better efect.

Ww went in "Steak and Ale" last week. On my previous
visit the meal included the 'vegetable of the day'. I made
a point of asking each time what the veg was and often
asked them not to include it.

I note that the menu no longer includes 'vegetable of the
day'. I doubt it was just me.

tim