London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

Default London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

On 2013-04-02 18:20:53 -0500, Jesper Lauridsen said:

Stelvio should be crossed from the north - that's where the hairpins are.

You mean, to descend along the hairpins, or ascend? It's more
west-east in orientation.

Ascend. Descend is a necessary evil you go through so you can ascend again.

The pass is west-east, but the road it's on is mainly north-south. So that
how I think of it. In your (and everyone else's) terms I meant from the
east.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
the expressway (freeway, autoroute, autobahn, whatever) system in

Jesper Lauridsen:
Why not "motorway"?

Why not? Also "superhighway", "limited-access highway", "controlled-access
highway", and to some in the US, "interstate" or even simply "highway".
--
Mark Brader "It's simply a matter of style, and while there
Toronto are many wrong styles, there really isn't any
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 2013-04-06, Tom P wrote:
On 04/04/2013 11:14 AM, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

Because then you would be returning a Swiss car in Italy and get the
hefty one-way fee.

The one-way fees seem to be highly unpredictable. From what I have
heard, you may be in luck and the car rental station just happens to
have a car standing there which is registered in the country where you
are going to - in other words, you are transporting the car back home
for them.

What are the odds of that? It's seem highly unlikely to me.

I should think it depends very much on which rental station. At
Düsseldorf airport I've seen cars with Dutch licence plates standing in
the car rental parking area, but the airport is only 100km from the border.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
the expressway (freeway, autoroute, autobahn, whatever) system in

Jesper Lauridsen:
Why not "motorway"?

Mark Brader:
Why not? Also "superhighway", "limited-access highway", "controlled-access
highway", and to some in the US, "interstate" or even simply "highway".

"Martin":
The context was UK, where they are called motorways.

The context was Switzerland, where they are called Autobahnen in German,
autoroutes in French, etc.
--
Mark Brader | "The race is not always to the swift,
Toronto | nor the battle to the strong --
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
the expressway (freeway, autoroute, autobahn, whatever) system in

"Martin":
The context was UK, where they are called motorways.

Mark Brader:
The context was Switzerland, where they are called Autobahnen in German,
autoroutes in French, etc.

"Martin":
The context was UK he was talking about driving from Heathrow to Bath.

Or maybe I know what I myself was talking about? If you actually
check instead of guessing, you will find that the very next word
after "in" was "Switzerland", which I think establishes the context
pretty clearly as Switzerland.

No big deal, though.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Mark is probably right about something,

Old April 14th, 2013, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-04-07 04:05:09 -0500, Martin said:

If OP goes to Avebury then there are several things to visit besides
the stone circle and avenue.
o To the south of the A4 on a hill overlooking Silbury Hill, The West
Kennet Long Barrow, which one can see into.
o Silbury Hill
o Avebury Manor House recently restored
o Avebury Tithe Barn
o The village pub.

I've not visited the last three, thanks for the lead.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old April 14th, 2013, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-04-04 04:14:20 -0500, Jesper Lauridsen said:

Dan was looking to go to Davos.

Anyway, with the time saved he would have the opportunity to drive all
over Switzerland and other alp parts. Key was to fly to some place in
Italy close to the Alps.

On second thought, I'm afraid the Alps and Venice are just too much to
fit into the time available, especially since March is the timeframe
and the passes will be closed to some extent. I think I'll instead fly
from Paris to Athens, and rent a car from there, and fly home to the
USA via Frankfurt.

Old April 14th, 2013, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-04-03 19:46:16 -0500, Mark Brader said:

Dan Stephenson:
Friday - flight to Frankfurt, flight to USA
Sunday - arrive home

Jesper Lauridsen:
Saturday, surely.

Dan Stephenson:
Given departure time and time zone shifts, it's Sunday.

As I said, most westbound transatlantic flights are daylight trips,
leaving and arriving the same day thanks to the time zones.
I'm curious about the specifics in your case. Do you have a long
trip after reaching your US airport or what?

Oops, I got the gain-day versus loss-day swapped.

Old April 14th, 2013, 12:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Norway is Beautiful London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

On 2013-04-04 12:32:39 -0500, tim...... said:

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
From my recollection travelling through that area before, it's ALL
beautimous. So I would ask if there are any glaciers that one can
drive to and walk someone close to the face? That would definitely
shape my route. Any ideas?

Not aware of any worthwhile glacier faces on mainland Europe (even in Norway).

You have to go to the far north islands (Iceland/Greenland/Svalbard) for that

tim

That depends on your definition of "worthwhile".

Norway is the most beautiful places I've driven, the whole length of it
is. It's a tour a person should take once in their lives. And the
Lofoten penninsula in particular... it's Land Of The Lost.