Opinions: Southern Caribbean Cruise

Old February 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

Default Opinions: Southern Caribbean Cruise

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 02:21:06 -0500, Brian K wrote:

Stefan Patric consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared On 2/6/2010 1:34
AM:

[snip]

I didn't know the ship or itin. My friends didn't say. Just Southern
Caribbean. Royal Caribbean. But if those two are the only Southern
Caribbean trips, then it's probably Serenade of the Seas.

Stef

Some tropical ports in the Caribbean can be mighty hot in June. If
there's a lull in the breeze off the sea, a daytime outing anywhere
without air conditioning or swimming in cool water can be mucho
uncomfortable. Ask your friends if they don't mind the heat.

I don't think heat will be a problem. They both have lived in the US
Desert Southwest for the past 20 years where in late June (the time they
plan to take the cruise) the highs average 105F (40C) and the lows are 85
- 90F (30C+-). To them, the Caribbean in June will be cool. However,
the ocean may be way too warm. They are accustomed to California waters,
which are quite cool (by my standards) even in the Summer.

In any case, it will be an experience. Both are fairly well-traveled,
but neither has ever been to the Caribbean.

Thanks for your advice.

Stef
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stu[_4_]

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:51:21 GMT, Stefan Patric
wrote:

[...]

Don't forget that Carnival as well does the Southern Caribbean.
We went eastern last time, although it was in Feb. and was 80F
we found it to be a dry heat.
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

There is a big difference between SW US hot and dry, and tropical hot
and humid. When Bob went through flight training in Pensacola, the
wives from OK and CO just about died from the heat and humidity
although it wasn't all that hot.

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 12:51:50 -0600, Stu wrote:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:51:21 GMT, Stefan Patric
wrote:

[big snip]

Don't forget that Carnival as well does the Southern Caribbean. We went
eastern last time, although it was in Feb. and was 80F we found it to be
a dry heat.

My friends weren't all that impressed after investigating Carnival.
Plus, it was too family oriented. And since they would be cruising in
June with school being out... Well, you get the idea.

I personally suggested Celebrity, which has a more mature, adult
clientele, but discovered it doesn't do the S. Caribbean in the summer.

Stef

Then have a look at cruise.com
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 2/9/2010 8:19 PM, Stefan Patric wrote:

My friends weren't all that impressed after investigating Carnival.
Plus, it was too family oriented. And since they would be cruising in
June with school being out... Well, you get the idea.

I personally suggested Celebrity, which has a more mature, adult
clientele, but discovered it doesn't do the S. Caribbean in the summer.

Stef

What makes them think that Royal Caribbean is going to be any different
in terms of being family oriented??? If they're cruising them and not
expecting to see a lot of kids they're going to be VERY disappointed.

Bill
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 20:14:59 -0500, gmbeasley wrote:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:51:21 GMT, Stefan Patric
wrote:
[snip]

I don't think heat will be a problem. They both have lived in the US
Desert Southwest for the past 20 years where in late June (the time they
plan to take the cruise) the highs average 105F (40C) and the lows are
85 - 90F (30C+-). To them, the Caribbean in June will be cool.
However, the ocean may be way too warm. They are accustomed to
California waters, which are quite cool (by my standards) even in the
Summer.

There is a big difference between SW US hot and dry, and tropical hot
and humid. When Bob went through flight training in Pensacola, the
wives from OK and CO just about died from the heat and humidity although
it wasn't all that hot.

Yes, there is a difference, but both my friends have been to the tropics
before, just not the Caribbean, and didn't have any problems due to the
higher humidity.

Thanks for your input.

STef
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

[snip]
Then have a look at cruise.com

I'll pass along the advice. Thanks.

Stef

Old February 10th, 2010, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Stefan Patric consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared On 2/10/2010 1:38 PM:

Then have a look at cruise.com

I'll pass along the advice. Thanks.

Stef

Better still, a savvy travel agent specializing in cruises would be able
to tailor a cruise booking to your friends specific needs. There are
things that travel-bots can do, but so far they can't talk to you and
offer options based on a conversation with you.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/

Old February 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:37:04 -0500, Bill wrote:

On 2/9/2010 8:19 PM, Stefan Patric wrote:

My friends weren't all that impressed after investigating Carnival.
Plus, it was too family oriented. And since they would be cruising in
June with school being out... Well, you get the idea.

I personally suggested Celebrity, which has a more mature, adult
clientele, but discovered it doesn't do the S. Caribbean in the summer.

Stef

What makes them think that Royal Caribbean is going to be any different
in terms of being family oriented??? If they're cruising them and not
expecting to see a lot of kids they're going to be VERY disappointed.

The nixing of Carnival wasn't solely due to children. It was just one of
the reasons.

Stef