Traveling to Europe (again)

Old February 20th, 2010, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Default Traveling to Europe (again)

"Cathy L" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:19:04 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:51:47 -0500, Cathy L wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:44:02 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:18:52 -0500, Cathy L
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:14:01 +0100, "Tim C."
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:52:42 -0000, Le$ wrote in post :
:

4. If you want to go where nearly everyone speaks English, go to The
Netherlands or eastern Belgium.

Or Scandinavia. Or the UK even :-)

It is funny, we could understand the English people spoke in countries
like Germany, much better than the English spoken by the people in
London and Ireland.

In general Polish immigrants speak quite good English.

I think it would have made so much sense when all those countries went
to using the Euro, they should have went to a common language at the
same time.

German?

Then there is Arabic. I assume that will be the universal language of
Europe rather soon.

Why?

The only Arabs I ever meet in the UK are the obscenely rich ones who come
here for the booze, chicks and gambling.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
J'ai retrouvé mon chien...elle s'appelle runge

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:52:42 -0000, Le$ wrote in post :
:

4. If you want to go where nearly everyone speaks English, go to The
Netherlands or eastern Belgium.

Or Scandinavia. Or the UK even :-)

It is funny, we could understand the English people spoke in countries
like Germany, much better than the English spoken by the people in
London and Ireland.

In general Polish immigrants speak quite good English.

I think it would have made so much sense when all those countries went
to using the Euro, they should have went to a common language at the
same time.

German?

Well, I don't want to be nasty, but I've heard all you nice European
people would all be speaking German without the help of that county
across the Atlantic you seem to hate, helping out. Was that twice?

Cathy L

nein das ist nicht richtig.....arslok
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Barney

On Feb 19, 5:51*pm, erilar wrote:
In article ,
*Cathy L wrote:

I think it would have made so much sense when all those countries went
to using the Euro, they should have went to a common language at the
same time.

Quite apart from the total silliness of that statement, you are misusing
English yourself. *It's "should have gone" if you want to pretend to be
such an English expert.

Furthermore, since English is the first language of NONE of the
countries using the Euro

Well, there's Ireland.
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article
,
Barney wrote:

On Feb 19, 5:51*pm, erilar wrote:
In article ,
*Cathy L wrote:

I think it would have made so much sense when all those countries went
to using the Euro, they should have went to a common language at the
same time.

Quite apart from the total silliness of that statement, you are misusing
English yourself. *It's "should have gone" if you want to pretend to be
such an English expert.

Furthermore, since English is the first language of NONE of the
countries using the Euro

Well, there's Ireland.

I didn't realize Ireland used the Euro. With Malta, that makes 2 of the
whole group and Cathy thinks all the rest should switch to English.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"William Black" wrote:

"Cathy L" wrote in message

Well, I don't want to be nasty, but I've heard all you nice European
people would all be speaking German without the help of that county
across the Atlantic you seem to hate, helping out. Was that twice?

1. No, you're wrong.

2. Turning up late to save the world isn't something to boast about, doing
it twice looks like rank stupidity.

Unkind. . . . if not untrue 8-)

Can we declare Cathy un-American now?

Old February 20th, 2010, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Cathy L:

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:19:04 +0100, Martin wrote:

German?

Well, I don't want to be nasty, but I've heard all you nice European
people would all be speaking German without the help of that county
across the Atlantic you seem to hate, helping out.

I've only received partial help.
That's why I speak German at work during day time, and mainly Dutch at
home.

--
Erick
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Martin:

On 20 Feb 2010 17:39:46 GMT, "Erick T. Barkhuis"
wrote:

That's why I speak German at work during day time, and mainly Dutch
at home.

and type in English.

It would be too much information if I said, that I love to eat Chinese
and....errr...there was something French, too.

--
Erick
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:25:58 +0530, "William Black"
wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
edia.com...

I agree, and yet I have friends who genuinely love going on tours. They
simply cannot understand why I would want to plan my own transport, or
drive myself when I could easily have the luxury (as they see it) of having
someone else make all the arrangements.

Buses are not luxury transport.

He didn't say they were.

Three star hotels are not luxurious.

He didn't say they were.

Hotel food, at that level, isn't that nice.

He didn't say it was.

What he called "luxury" was having someone else take care of the
arangements.

Half the fun of going somewhere new is working out what you what to see,
not what someone who you're paying wants to show you while maximising their
profits.

You're preaching to the choir here.

I, too, deplore tours, but chacun a son gout.

Old February 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

William Black wrote:

"Cathy L" wrote in message

Well, I don't want to be nasty, but I've heard all you nice European
people would all be speaking German without the help of that county
across the Atlantic you seem to hate, helping out. Was that twice?

1. No, you're wrong.

2. Turning up late to save the world isn't something to boast about,
doing it twice looks like rank stupidity.

LOL! I wish I'D said that! (I may be an American, but I actually READ
the history books - "My country, right or wrong" has never seemed a very
valid point of view to me.)
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

In Cathy World(TM) Muslim=Arab

In Cathy World the U.S. is demonstrably superior to all other nations,
too! (I really do wonder WHY she bothers to travel abroad, since her
travel appears to be for "pleasure", not business.)