London Subway

Old February 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

Default London Subway

Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

Thank you,

Cathy L
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Cathy L:

Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

Either take bus and tube (change once, takes 35 minutes) or take the
tube only (change twice, takes 25 minutes).
Which do you prefer? When do you plan to leave?

--
Erick
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Barney

On Feb 20, 7:42*pm, Cathy L wrote:
Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

Thank you,

Cathy L

Take the Circle Line to Euston Square and then walk the very short
distance to Euston Station.
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:42:31 -0500, Cathy L
wrote:

Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

I stongly suggest you not ask in London where the subway is; you
will not get teh answer you were hoping for.

Old February 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_5_]

wrote:

Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

I stongly suggest you not ask in London where the subway is; you
will not get teh answer you were hoping for.

Q: Why did Cathy cross the road?
A: Because she used the subway.

There is a Subway at Euston but I don't think that it is gluten-free.
--
JohnT
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Cathy L.:
Subject: London Subway

By "subway", of course, you mean "Underground" or "tube". Some would
say this proves you are trolling, but I'll post anyway because some
others reading this might want to know how the train routes have changed.

Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

"Barney":
Take the Circle Line to Euston Square and then walk the very short
distance to Euston Station.

Not so simple. The Circle Line got decircularized two months ago.
Circle trains now run from Hammersmith to Edgware Road via the
Hammersmith & City Line route, then go *once* around the old
Circle Line route and terminate; and likewise the other way.

You *could* still get from High Street Kensington to Euston Square with
only one train, but you'd have to go the long way around the circle --
start out westbound and go via Aldgate. Not worth considering.

However, if you take an eastbound train from High Street Kensington,
you can ride as far as Edgware Road, where the train terminates.
There are two possibilities: Circle and District Line trains.
They start from the same platform and go the same way as far as
Edgware Road station, but arrive in different platforms. (I haven't
been to London since the route changed and I don't know if there
will be changing signs or PA announcements that will tell you which
train you have. See the next paragraph for why you care, if you
have luggage.)

To leave Edgware Road, you want the eastbound platform for the Circle
and the Hammersmith & City Line, which is Platform 1. If you arrived
on a Circle Line train, you are on Platform 2 and will find Platform 1
as the opposite face of the same physical platform; but if it was a
District Line train, you arrived on Platform 3, and then you'll have to
use stairs up and down to change platforms.

From the eastbound platform, any train (Circle or Hammersmith & City)
will take you the rest of the way to Euston Square.

There is also, of course, a *Euston* tube station, which is closer to
the main-line train station than Euston Square is -- but getting there
from High St. Ken. would either require two changes of train or, again,
a rather indirect route (via Victoria). I'd go with the option via
Edgware Road instead.

Or alternatively, pay for a taxi.

For anyone reading this who might prefer a diagram, the platform usage
at Edgware Road now is like this. Trains in the two middle tracks are
terminating and going back to their starting point; Circle lines will
return to this station before going on to Hammersmith. Trains on the
outer tracks are running through the station and continuing in the
same direction.

---------1--------- Circle and H&C to King's Cross etc. (eastbound)
################
--------2------- Circle to High St. Ken., Victoria, Aldgate, etc.
--------3------- District to High St. Ken., Earl's Court, Wimbledon
################
--------4---------- Circle and H&C to Hammersmith (westbound)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "When I wanted to be a sigquote, that wasn't

Old February 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Martin" wrote in message
On 20 Feb 2010 20:00:42 GMT, "Erick T. Barkhuis"

wrote:

Cathy L:

Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

Either take bus and tube (change once, takes 35 minutes) or take the
tube only (change twice, takes 25 minutes).
Which do you prefer? When do you plan to leave?

Most rich Americans take a taxi.

No, Most Americans take a taxi.

tim

Old February 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:51:36 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On 20 Feb 2010 20:00:42 GMT, "Erick T. Barkhuis"

wrote:

Cathy L:

Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

Either take bus and tube (change once, takes 35 minutes) or take the
tube only (change twice, takes 25 minutes).
Which do you prefer? When do you plan to leave?

Most rich Americans take a taxi.

No, Most Americans take a taxi.

tim

Alright, if you think it is best, we will take a cab.

Thank you,

Cathy L