Traveling to Europe (again)

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Default Traveling to Europe (again)

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 16:39:24 +0530, "William Black"
wrote:

"Cathy L" wrote in message
. ..

Well, I don't want to be nasty, but I've heard all you nice European
people would all be speaking German without the help of that county
across the Atlantic you seem to hate, helping out. Was that twice?

1. No, you're wrong.

2. Turning up late to save the world isn't something to boast about,
doing
it twice looks like rank stupidity.

Needing the help is even more stupid.

We didn't need help, we'd have just taken longer...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Barney

On Feb 20, 8:40*pm, JohnT wrote:
On 20/02/2010 3:27 PM, erilar wrote:

In article
,
* *wrote:

On Feb 19, 5:51 pm, *wrote:
In ,
* Cathy *wrote:

I think it would have made so much sense when all those countries went
to using the Euro, they should have went to a common language at the
same time.

Quite apart from the total silliness of that statement, you are misusing
English yourself. *It's "should have gone" if you want to pretend to be
such an English expert.

Furthermore, since English is the first language of NONE of the
countries using the Euro

Well, there's Ireland.

I didn't realize Ireland used the Euro. *With Malta, that makes 2 of the
whole group and Cathy thinks all the rest should switch to English.

Under Bunreacht na hÉireann, the Irish constitution, both English and
Irish have official status, with Irish being the national and first
official language.
--
JohnT

Yes, but English absolutely dominates in practice.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Hatunen wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:42:11 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Hatunen wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:51:09 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Well, there was a time when one could manage anywhere in Europe if one
spoke French - why not adopt that, instead?
That was quite some time ago, and it didn't apply to all that
many people, mostly those with a higher education or striving to
join a diplomatic corps. English is spoken im many countries buy
the kids, which would seem to be a harbinger of the future.

Granted - and it seems to a large extent to have become the
international language of business. (However, I was simply pointing out
to dear, naive little Cathy Troll that a possible alternative might
exist, if the euro currency were to be tied to a "euro" language, as
well.)

Esperanto?

Well, logically, that would make a lot of sense, but does anyone
actually SPEAK Esperanto? I know it was intended to be a universal
language, but never quite succeeded in getting accepted as such.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Hatunen wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:14:22 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

Martin wrote:
I doubt that you would ever visit 11 countries in 14 days with your own
transport like Cathy and Bill did.

That is the Japanese style of touring. You spend most of the day getting
from one spot to another, get out and take a picture, then back in the
bus to go to the next spot. The mark of a good tour is one that gets you
the most photo ops and is on schedule.

I used to see them when I lived at San Francisco. The men all
wore suits and ties and were herded around by a guide carrying a
flag to rally 'round.

I have seem them at a number of tourist destinations. Indeed, the guide
had a some sort of a flag or brightly coloured umbrella. They would
arrive by bus, get out and scurry over to the thing they were scheduled
to see, take some pictures, scurry back to the bus and then on to the
next site.

To be fair, it is not just he Japanese. One of my brothers is the same
way. It frustrates the bejeepers out of me that he always wants to do on
motorcycle excursions with me. We will ride an hour or two to get
somewhere and 15-20 minutes after we arrive he wants to get going.

I once walked an hour and a half to walk to the Louvre and then waited
in line for another hour and a half to get in. I went my own way inside,
but ran into him and his wife an hour later. They wanted to leave. They
had spend three times longer getting there and getting in than they
spent inside. So you can understand why I refer to him as a Japanese
tourist.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:19:04 +0100, Martin wrote in post :
:

I think it would have made so much sense when all those countries went
to using the Euro, they should have went to a common language at the
same time.

German?

Beat me to it :-)
--
Tim C.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:26:00 -0500, Cathy L wrote in post :
:

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:19:04 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:51:47 -0500, Cathy L wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:44:02 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:18:52 -0500, Cathy L wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:14:01 +0100, "Tim C."
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:52:42 -0000, Le$ wrote in post :
:

4. If you want to go where nearly everyone speaks English, go to The
Netherlands or eastern Belgium.

Or Scandinavia. Or the UK even :-)

It is funny, we could understand the English people spoke in countries
like Germany, much better than the English spoken by the people in
London and Ireland.

In general Polish immigrants speak quite good English.

I think it would have made so much sense when all those countries went
to using the Euro, they should have went to a common language at the
same time.

German?

Well, I don't want to be nasty, but I've heard all you nice European
people would all be speaking German without the help of that county
across the Atlantic you seem to hate, helping out. Was that twice?

Cathy L

The US didn't do it out of altruism. It was paid for it's help.

--
Tim C.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 16:39:24 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

"Cathy L" wrote in message

Well, I don't want to be nasty, but I've heard all you nice European
people would all be speaking German without the help of that county
across the Atlantic you seem to hate, helping out. Was that twice?

1. No, you're wrong.

2. Turning up late to save the world isn't something to boast about, doing
it twice looks like rank stupidity.

The USA, missed the first World War, was late for the second, but is going
to make damned sure they're there for the start of the third.

--
Tim C.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Time to drag out this old chestnut again methinks:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English
will be the official language of the European Union rather than German,
which is the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her
Majesty's
Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement
and
has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become known as
"Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".
Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.
The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear
up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the
troublesome "ph" will be replaced with the "f". This will make words
like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have
always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
horibl
mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go
away.

By the 4th yer peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th"
with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords
kontaining "ou" and After ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl
riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find
it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem vil finali kum tru!

--
Tim C.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:46:43 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote in
post : :

In Cathy World(TM) Muslim=Arab

In Cathy World the U.S. is demonstrably superior to all other nations,
too! (I really do wonder WHY she bothers to travel abroad, since her
travel appears to be for "pleasure", not business.)

Lord Blackadder once said of Sir Percy:
"I like to breakfast with an idiot. Reminds me I'm best"

--
Tim C.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:28:21 -0500, Cathy L wrote in post :
:

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:51:08 -0600, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
Cathy L wrote:

I think it would have made so much sense when all those countries went
to using the Euro, they should have went to a common language at the
same time.

Quite apart from the total silliness of that statement, you are misusing
English yourself. It's "should have gone" if you want to pretend to be
such an English expert.

Furthermore, since English is the first language of NONE of the
countries using the Euro, that would be a particularly stupid move.
They don't even speak RELATED languages.

Great Britain is NOT using the Euro.

But it is the SECOND language of all the countries, no?

Cathy L

Some of the countries where German isn't the first language have German as
their second.
--
Tim C.