Dover, UK: Lodging? Transferring from London Heathrow?

Old November 29th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Bill Duet

Default Dover, UK: Lodging? Transferring from London Heathrow?

My wife & I are booked on a Scandinavia cruise on Celebrity's
"Constellation" out of Dover, England in August of 2004. We plan to fly
into London Heathrow & then travel to Dover. Does anyone have
recommendations on how to get from Heathrow to Dover & then back to Heathrow
after the cruise? We plan to spend two nights in Dover prior to
embarkation. Does anyone have any recommendations on lodging in Dover?

Old November 29th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Keith Anderson

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:28:34 GMT, "Bill Duet"
wrote:

My wife & I are booked on a Scandinavia cruise on Celebrity's
"Constellation" out of Dover, England in August of 2004. We plan to fly
into London Heathrow & then travel to Dover. Does anyone have
recommendations on how to get from Heathrow to Dover & then back to Heathrow
after the cruise? We plan to spend two nights in Dover prior to
embarkation. Does anyone have any recommendations on lodging in Dover?

Lodging in Dover - try the County Hotel, it's near the ferry port -
it's not brilliant but if there is a brilliant hotel in Dover I don't
know where it is!!!

The Churchill Hotel (Best Western) might also be worth a try.

If you're looking for something cheaper, whatever you do make sure
it's tourist-board registered as there are some quite dreadful
flea-pits on the approach to the ferry terminal.

Old November 29th, 2003, 10:31 PM
tim

"Bill Duet" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My wife & I are booked on a Scandinavia cruise on Celebrity's
"Constellation" out of Dover, England in August of 2004. We plan to fly
into London Heathrow & then travel to Dover. Does anyone have
recommendations on how to get from Heathrow to Dover & then back to Heathrow
after the cruise?

Take the train.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/planmy...quirements.asp
for times.

We plan to spend two nights in Dover prior to
embarkation. Does anyone have any recommendations on lodging in Dover?

Unless embarking really early I would recommend not. It is not the nicest
town in Kent. I would suggest that you spend your spare time in Canterbury
which is only 30 minutes away by train (though you need to make sure that
you wait at the right station, there are two and whilst the times to each of
them from London are similar, this is not the case for the onward journey
to Dover)

tim

Old November 30th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Jonathan Morton

"tim" wrote in message

"Bill Duet" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My wife & I are booked on a Scandinavia cruise on Celebrity's
"Constellation" out of Dover, England in August of 2004. We plan to fly
into London Heathrow & then travel to Dover. Does anyone have
recommendations on how to get from Heathrow to Dover & then back to

Heathrow
after the cruise?

Take the train.

As Tim says, this will be the best. Heathrow Express is not the most
convenient for Victoria (or anywhere else except Paddington for that matter)
so I would take the Underground from Heathrow and change to the district
line at Hammersmith or Barons Court (nice easy cross-platform change -
*don't* change at Earls Court), which gets you to Victoria. At most times of
day there's a fast (sorry, "fast") train every hour to Canterbury East (see
below) and Dover. Takes roughly 1hr 25 to Canterbury and 1hr 40 to Dover.

We plan to spend two nights in Dover prior to
embarkation. Does anyone have any recommendations on lodging in Dover?

Yes, "Don't" :-)

Unless embarking really early I would recommend not. It is not the nicest
town in Kent. I would suggest that you spend your spare time in

Canterbury
which is only 30 minutes away by train (though you need to make sure that
you wait at the right station, there are two and whilst the times to each

of
them from London are similar, this is not the case for the onward journey
to Dover)

Agreed. Again at most times of day there's one non-stop train per hour from
Canterbury East to Dover, and one stopper. If you do stay in Canterbury,
it's only 15 miles and since you will need a taxi from Dover Priory station
to the cruise terminal, it might be worth investigating a taxi from
Canterbury.

There's a very funny description of Dover in the first chapter Bill Bryson's
"Notes from a small island", and even allowing for the author's inimitable
style, it's not entirely inaccurate.

HTH

Jonathan

Old December 2nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
geraint

sgwennodd "Bill Duet" yn neges
hlink.net...
My wife & I are booked on a Scandinavia cruise on Celebrity's
"Constellation" out of Dover, England in August of 2004. We plan to fly
into London Heathrow & then travel to Dover. Does anyone have
recommendations on how to get from Heathrow to Dover & then back to

Heathrow
after the cruise?

Train's probably the easiest.

We plan to spend two nights in Dover prior to
embarkation. Does anyone have any recommendations on lodging in Dover?

Er... As someone else has said, "don't". There's nothing pleasant about
Dover (apart from leaving, and seeing the white cliffs), so I'd stay almost
_anywhere_ else - Canterbury is a good option, before staying there.

hwyl!
geraint.