tips for SF

Old July 13th, 2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anonymouse

Default tips for SF

Hi,

of to SF for a long weekend thanks to a Travelocity last minute deal.

I checked the SF Giants page and there will be some games that
weekend... but where's the park now? Access? (train, subway, ??)

Any other tips or suggestions?

I figure a trip to Japantown to shop and eat... Chinatown to eat and
shop some more... maybe suggestions for sushi or other seafood places.

are there transport passes? day or week or ??? so I wouldn't have to
deal with individual tickets...

travel elsewhere I get them some places but not others... London I get
day passes, but in Amsterdam I get a strippenkart and in Paris I just
get a carnet of tickets.

any suggestions on organized "tours"?

I figure Alcatraz is a must... is there by chance a Dirty Harry tour?

ttyl

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:10:46 -0500, Anonymouse
wrote:

Hi,

of to SF for a long weekend thanks to a Travelocity last minute deal.

I checked the SF Giants page and there will be some games that
weekend... but where's the park now? Access? (train, subway, ??)

The ballpark is in town on the bay just north of downtown. Thre
is Muni Metro tram service to the park.

Any other tips or suggestions?

That's what I call a cosmic question. Thick books have been
written answering that question. I lived there for 16 years and
never ran out of things to see and do.

I figure a trip to Japantown to shop and eat...

There really isn't much to Japantown.

Chinatown to eat and shop some more...

Chinatown has become pretty much a tourist trap. Young Chinese
are moving out to the Richmond district. There are still a lot of
Chinese living in Chinatown, though, but unless you know where to
look you'll only see the tourist stuff.

Yes. http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/indxfare.htm

travel elsewhere I get them some places but not others... London I get
day passes, but in Amsterdam I get a strippenkart and in Paris I just
get a carnet of tickets.

any suggestions on organized "tours"?

Ewwww.

I figure Alcatraz is a must... is there by chance a Dirty Harry tour?

There could be.

Old July 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Anonymouse wrote:
I checked the SF Giants page and there will be some games that
weekend... but where's the park now? Access? (train, subway, ??)

China Basin Stadium is served by buses and streetcars. The subway is
useless except for to/from The Airport getting.

Any other tips or suggestions?

The "Don't-miss SIGHTS in San Francisco" page
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/Sights.html has enough to
keep you busy for nine 12.7-hour days. It includes links to your best
sources of advice on WHERE TO EAT and, according to the Department of
Health, WHERE TO NOT EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the
quite-good sfSurvey and the comprehensive Yelp. It also has a WEATHER
CHART with a link to current conditions.

The FLAG/MAPS page
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/FlagMaps.html has links to
the best on-line MAP of San Francisco, the outstanding
WALKER/BICYCLIST map that shows the steepness of our streets. The new
version of the formerly superb map created for the San Francisco
Municipal Railway has removed many streets' names making it less
useful. It's cluttered with our many bus, cable car, street car, and
bus routes. There is also a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES, our 49-mile
SCENIC DRIVE, and a superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled
music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of
regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of
dance cruises and events around the world:
http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html The MUSIC section at the
bottom of the page focuses on the best of jazz.

sushi

Country Station Sushi Café on Mission at Sycamore near Seventeenth
Street.

or other seafood places.

Bahia at Twenty-second and Bartlett.

are there transport passes? day or week or ???

Yes.

Old July 13th, 2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote:

Hi,

of to SF for a long weekend thanks to a Travelocity last minute deal.

I checked the SF Giants page and there will be some games that
weekend... but where's the park now? Access? (train, subway, ??)

AT&T park is to the south of Market Street, in the area known as SOMA (South
of Market Area). It is about a 15 - 20 minute walk from Market Street
(seven blocks) should you be into walking. Recommendation is to take Third
Street south from Market. Second Street, which also gets you there, has a
hefty hill which Third Street avoids.

You can take any of the southbound Muni buses (# 30 and #45) at Fourth and
Market to the CalTrain station at Fourth and Townsend and walk the short
stretch to the ballpark - one block east to Third Street and one block south
to King Street. Traffic on Fourth is one way only (southbound) so there is
no ambiguity as to which direction to travel.

The other option is to go to the underground Muni station at the Embacadero
Center (foot of Market Street at Main - there is a BART station at a lower
level) and take the N or T streetcars in the eastbound (Folsom station)
direction.

Here is the Muni webpage talking about getting to AT&T park. It includes a
map which you can click on to get an idea of the surroundings.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mroutes/pacbsvc.htm

Old July 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jul 12, 10:10 pm, Anonymouse wrote:
Hi,

of to SF for a long weekend thanks to a Travelocity last minute deal.

I checked the SF Giants page and there will be some games that
weekend... but where's the park now? Access? (train, subway, ??)

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=sf

Click on AT&T Park. Bus access. It's close to the train station.

Any other tips or suggestions?

I figure a trip to Japantown to shop and eat...

Not much there in Japan town.

Chinatown to eat and
shop some more... maybe suggestions for sushi or other seafood places.

are there transport passes? day or week or ??? so I wouldn't have to
deal with individual tickets...

travel elsewhere I get them some places but not others... London I get
day passes, but in Amsterdam I get a strippenkart and in Paris I just
get a carnet of tickets.

any suggestions on organized "tours"?

I figure Alcatraz is a must... is there by chance a Dirty Harry tour?

You need to reserve ahead of time for Alcatraz.

ttyl

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -

Old July 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

any suggestions on organized "tours"?
I figure Alcatraz is a must

This company has a good reputation:
http://www.sanfranciscosightseeing.com/tours_city.cfm

Their basic tour last about 1/2 day, and can include an optional boat
cruise, but does NOT include Alcatraz, so you'll want to plan a trip
to Alcatraz on your own. Alcatraz will be one of the highlights of
your visit.

is there by chance a Dirty Harry tour?

I think there used to be one, but don't know if it's still available.
Speaking of movies, I've heard that there's a Vertigo tour (Alfred
Hitchcock's classic).

James

Old July 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

wrote:
Hi,

of to SF for a long weekend thanks to a Travelocity last minute deal.

I checked the SF Giants page and there will be some games that
weekend... but where's the park now? Access? (train, subway, ??)

The ballpark is in town on the bay just north of downtown. Thre
is Muni Metro tram service to the park.

I'm not sure if they're still doing it, but once MUNI would hand out
free one-way passes. Before that they would sell round-trip tickets
(all night transfers actually) for a one way fare inside the BART fare
gates. Walking isn't too bad. On game day, there will be so many
people doing the same that you won't have a problem.

Any other tips or suggestions?

That's what I call a cosmic question. Thick books have been
written answering that question. I lived there for 16 years and
never ran out of things to see and do.

I figure a trip to Japantown to shop and eat...

There really isn't much to Japantown.

Some decent restaurants, but otherwise a crappy, boring layout.

Chinatown to eat and shop some more...

Chinatown has become pretty much a tourist trap. Young Chinese
are moving out to the Richmond district. There are still a lot of
Chinese living in Chinatown, though, but unless you know where to
look you'll only see the tourist stuff.

Most people would want to live in Chinatown. However - it's still a
place where Bay Area Chinese come to shop and eat. Grant is where the
most of the tourist traps are, but Stockton is where you'll find the
groceries and bakeries. There still is non-tourist stuff on Grant,
but most visitors don't have a need for the traditional Chinese
herbalists. Most restaurants are on the streets perpendicular to
Grant/Stockton.

maybe suggestions for sushi or other seafood places.

are there transport passes? day or week or ??? so I wouldn't have to
deal with individual tickets...

Yes.http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/indxfare.htm

travel elsewhere I get them some places but not others... London I get
day passes, but in Amsterdam I get a strippenkart and in Paris I just
get a carnet of tickets.

any suggestions on organized "tours"?

Ewwww.

I figure Alcatraz is a must... is there by chance a Dirty Harry tour?

There could be.

Maybe a "Bullitt" tour?

I hear great things about the Alcatraz night tour. I'd suggest
booking in advance. They've switched to Hornblower for the
transportation, so things might be different now.

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com

Old July 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:04:41 -0700, wrote:

any suggestions on organized "tours"?
I figure Alcatraz is a must

This company has a good reputation:
http://www.sanfranciscosightseeing.com/tours_city.cfm

Their basic tour last about 1/2 day, and can include an optional boat
cruise, but does NOT include Alcatraz, so you'll want to plan a trip
to Alcatraz on your own. Alcatraz will be one of the highlights of
your visit.

is there by chance a Dirty Harry tour?

I think there used to be one, but don't know if it's still available.
Speaking of movies, I've heard that there's a Vertigo tour (Alfred
Hitchcock's classic).

Google is your friend.

http://www.toursanfranciscobay.com/tours/vertigo.html

For Dirty Harry much can be reached on buses and trams. For
instance, Harry gets off a streetcar in the Forest Hill station
in the tunnel under Twin Peaks. And then proceeds to the Mount
Davidson cross which ain't hard to find.

Old July 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

wrote:
[...]

And search some of the alleys, too.

I figure Alcatraz is a must... is there by chance a Dirty Harry tour?

There could be.

Maybe a "Bullitt" tour?

Get someone to drive you over the hill from Pacific Heights down
to the Marina District at high speed....

Old July 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

On Jul 13, 2:06 pm, y_p_w wrote:

Most people would want to live in Chinatown.

Let me rephrase. Most people **wouldn't** want to live in Chinatown.
Most people who do so either can't afford other living arrangements,
or they're newly arrived and trying to acclimate to life in the U.S.
However - the shopping and restaurants have always primarily served
the greater ethnic Chinese (mostly Cantonese-speaking) community in
San Francisco and the Bay Area.