River Rhine

Old December 29th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Cadz7

Default River Rhine

I would like to hear from anyone who has used trains and ferries to travel down
the Rhine Valley,Germany,along the most scenic part.
I would also like details of the sorts of hotels they stayed in,prices
etc,prefrably simple guest houses or rooms in castle type hotels if that is
possible.

Thanks

Roy from Scotland.
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Dick

"Cadz7" wrote in message
I would like to hear from anyone who has used trains and ferries to travel

down
the Rhine Valley,Germany,along the most scenic part.
I would also like details of the sorts of hotels they stayed in,prices
etc,prefrably simple guest houses or rooms in castle type hotels if that

is
possible.

Thanks

Roy from Scotland.

Try their web site http://www.k-d.com/engl/index.html
Great trip, better from ships. Can be very crowded in summer. Plenty of B&B
type accommodations in little towns along the Rhine.

Old December 30th, 2003, 03:52 PM
David Horne

Cadz7 wrote:

I would like to hear from anyone who has used trains and ferries to travel
down the Rhine Valley,Germany,along the most scenic part.

Well, train is really easy, as there's a line coming down from Koblenz
which stops in most of the main towns on the left bank, as do the
ferries of course. We stayed in Bacharach (coming on train from Cologne
with a change in Koblenz), which I think is charming, in zimmer
recommended in Rick Steve's book. We travelled in early October, which
is quite busy, so a few of our first choices were already booked. The
cost was around £30 a night for a nice double with bathroom- that was
typical there for October 2001- I would check recent prices though.
There is a castle-like (but not a castle) hotel next to the railroad
there, but I don't know what it's like. The youth hostel at Bacharach
_is_ a castle, and has a spectular position up the hill, but I don't
think that's what you're looking for, and it's quite a hike!

We hired bikes and cycled down to Bingen (it's easy to cycle as it's
flat, and there are bike paths), and took the ferry up to St. Goar from
Bingen, and from there biked down to Bacharach again. The ferry ride was
nice, but it can get crowded- depends on the time of year I suppose- but
it is the best way to see the Rhine I think. Bacharach seems to me a
good base for a few days Rhine exploration, and there are some pretty
good (but not too expensive) restaurants there.

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old December 31st, 2003, 04:52 AM
Aramis

Skip the Rhine, it's a noisy brown shipping alley with rail lines on both
sides.

I'm not German bashing either folks. I am an ethnic German, I have been to
Germany 5 times ( it is my favourite destination on earth) and will go 15
more before I die, God willing, but I was never so disappointed and
underwhelmed in my life as when I hit that river. It has a fabulous history
that pretty much defines central Europe, but it is a commercial mess for the
most part, even the "most scenic" part.

If you have any preconceptions of what the Rhine will be like, it is
probably the Mosel of which you have a mental picture. Now that is
beautiful river, through much of the same landscapes. One of my vacations
was saved by us abandoning the Rhine for the Mosel.

Old December 31st, 2003, 09:33 AM
David Horne

Aramis wrote:

If you have any preconceptions of what the Rhine will be like, it is
probably the Mosel of which you have a mental picture. Now that is
beautiful river, through much of the same landscapes. One of my vacations
was saved by us abandoning the Rhine for the Mosel.

Well, I like both. They're different, that's all.

Certainly, I'd recommend visiting the Mosel as well.

David

Old December 31st, 2003, 09:12 PM
erilar

In article
.rogers.com,
"Aramis" wrote:

If you have any preconceptions of what the Rhine will be like, it is
probably the Mosel of which you have a mental picture. Now that is
beautiful river, through much of the same landscapes. One of my vacations
was saved by us abandoning the Rhine for the Mosel.

Have you explored the Neckar? Lovely 8-)

--
Mary Loomer Oliver(aka erilar)
There is no such thing as too many books. Bookshelves, on the other hand . . .

Erilar's Cave Annex:
http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo
Old January 2nd, 2004, 05:21 AM
Aramis

The Neckar is next...

"erilar" wrote in message
In article
.rogers.com,
"Aramis" wrote:

If you have any preconceptions of what the Rhine will be like, it is
probably the Mosel of which you have a mental picture. Now that is
beautiful river, through much of the same landscapes. One of my

vacations
was saved by us abandoning the Rhine for the Mosel.

Have you explored the Neckar? Lovely 8-)

--
Mary Loomer Oliver(aka erilar)
There is no such thing as too many books. Bookshelves, on the other hand .

.. .

Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
grey

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:19:47 -0600, erilar
wrote:

Stay in hotels? And as for Koeln, why?

We "collect" cathedrals.