Quick trip to Mexico - suggestions?

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
cjra

Default Quick trip to Mexico - suggestions?

I hope someone is still out there reading. I haven't been on in
forever and all my favourite groups have disappeared due to spam....

We (husband, 3 yr old daughter, myself) want to plan a quick 3-4 day
long weekend to Mexico. Our goal is just to lay on the beach for a few
days and not think about the world. Our real vacation turned into
anything but due to assorted family illnesses (every day was spent at
the hospital), so this is just our escape.

I have never been an all-inclusive resort type person (more of a
traipsing through the jungle type traveller), but with the kid and our
desire for relaxation, that seems to be the best route.

The main priority is that the flight has to be relatively short from
San Antonio, TX, which is why the Caribbean and Central America are
not being considered - with only 3-4 days, we don't want to spend a
day flying. The other consideration is that American needs to fly
there - so we can use miles.

I've narrowed it down to two options:

Puerto Vallarta - Westin Resort or Villa Del Palmar Flamingos Beach
Resort and Spa neither of which are all-inclusive but that's ok, as
long as they're on the beach.

Cancun - Royal Solaris Beachfront Family resort - all inclusive or
Westin Resort (not all inclusive)

I once swore I'd never go to Cancun, but never say never......It'll
also be hurricane season, and I'm hedging my bets that Puerto Vallarta
may be a slightly less risky choice.

Any comments on the hotels mentioned?
Any other suggestions of places to go?
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

"cjra" wrote in message
[...]

We have also been avoiding Cancun, other than the airport, which is
convenient for points North and South. That said, we love Puerto Vallarta,
which is actually a small city by the sea rather than a purpose-built resort
area.

I don't know the Westin, but Villa Del Palmar Flamingos Beach is hardly in
Puerto Vallarta, and I'm positive they offer an AI option, or at least they
did last fall. It's in the resort area of Nuevo Vallarta, quite a distance
from town. There is a sister resort in Puerto Vallarta proper called simply
Villa Del Palmar. We've been to both, and for a quick vacation like you
describe Nuevo Vallarta is fine, with much better beaches. After a few days
you'd start with the cabin fever no matter how nice the cabin, and find
yourself on the bus to and from town for over an hour a day to go back and
forth.

The Flamingos is newer, usually with a new wing just starting, and the
accommodations are really nice. Things are laid out so everyone has a good
view from a good-size deck. Both places have mediocre food that's on the
pricey side. One reason we love PV is the plethora of good restaurants ...
enough that even when the town is packed with tourists, they're still out on
the sidewalks luring diners in with free appetizers, desserts, or drinks.

PV has one huge annoyance (not unique to there) and that is time-share
salespeople are everywhere, and they have a million and one lures to get you
to tour a property. You really need good blinders and a strong will (and
maybe an accurate right hook) to just keep walking.

I should note that the beaches in the north Hotel Zone of PV (where Villa
Del Palmar is) are nice enough, but they're all chopped up by breakwaters
that were built for some reason that seems to escape everyone now, but I
would guess they were put there in a lame attempt to preserve the imported
sand. Both areas have the usual motor sport offerings like jet-ski rental,
paragliding, banana boat rides, etc, and the resorts have the non motorized
things like wake boards and kayaks. Licensed beach vendors are also allowed
everywhere, and are rarely annoying. Not everything is junk, either.

Have a great time whatever you decide to go. I got very sick on our last
vacation, and I won't soon forget it.

Keith

Old July 29th, 2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
John Kulp

Take a look at Cozumel. You can fly to Cancun then get a bus and
ferry over there and it's much nicer than both Cancun and PV IMHO

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
cjra

On Jul 28, 7:14 pm, (John Kulp) wrote:
Take a look at Cozumel. You can fly to Cancun then get a bus and
ferry over there and it's much nicer than both Cancun and PV IMHO

First place I checked but would end up eating the better part of the
day travelling. Not worth it when we only have a few days.

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
cjra

On Jul 28, 2:01 pm, "K" wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the input. Our daughter is only 3, so we're not likely to
do bigger water sports, mostly just play in the sand and water. So a
calmer beach would do. I was reading more on the Bucerias region -
looks like a couple of hotels available and the town sounds nice, with
nicer beaches than PV. I don't really like All-inclusive, but if town
is too far away for eating, then it's the better option (I'm not
really seeking to explore Mexican cuisine - have done that and would
choose elsewhere, but good restaurants are always a plus!)

Thanks for the insight. This helps.

We decided PV definitely - flights worked out well with FF miles. We
basically only have 2.5 days on the ground. Now just to decide the
hotel.