Taxi in London

Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

Default Taxi in London

How much does it cost to take a taxi from Heathrow airport to downtown
London, (in US dollars)?

Cathy L
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tamzen Cannoy[_2_]

In article ,
Cathy L wrote:

How much does it cost to take a taxi from Heathrow airport to downtown
London, (in US dollars)?

Cathy L

Way too much.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow.htm

"London's black cabs form the taxi ranks outside each terminal.
No wait. 30-75 mins to any London hotel. ?40-?70.
Maximum of 5 passengers and limited luggage. 3/4 large cases."

It's closer to $100-150US and takes forever. I highly recommend the
Heathrow Express to Paddington and take a taxi from there.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

This would be a mistake you would never want to make. Perhaps as low as $70
USD....don't bet on that quote! s

Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

We will be taking a Cosmos bus tour, that leaves from the Novotel
London West hotel. They charge $25 each for their bus. It sounds like
that's not a bad deal for the two of us.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:08:37 -0500, Cathy L wrote:

We will be taking a Cosmos bus tour, that leaves from the Novotel
London West hotel. They charge $25 each for their bus. It sounds like
that's not a bad deal for the two of us.

Your Cosmos pick up at the airport is definitely your best deal.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Barney

On Nov 22, 9:02*pm, Cathy L wrote:
How much does it cost to take a taxi from Heathrow airport to downtown
London, (in US dollars)?

Cathy L

As others have said - don't do it. The Heathrow Express train (or the
new Heathrow Connect service, 15 minutes slower but quite a bit
cheaper) PLUS a taxi from Paddington Station, where you disembark from
the train, will almost always work out both faster and cheaper than a
taxi all the way from the airport - at least for a single person or
couple.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Barney wrote on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:31:33 -0800 (PST):

On Nov 22, 9:02 pm, Cathy L wrote:
How much does it cost to take a taxi from Heathrow airport to
downtown London, (in US dollars)?

Cathy L

As others have said - don't do it. The Heathrow Express train (or the
new Heathrow Connect service, 15 minutes slower but quite a bit
cheaper) PLUS a taxi from Paddington Station, where you disembark from
the train, will almost always work out both faster and cheaper than a
taxi all the way from the airport - at least for a single person or
couple.

Those prices are for the standard London cab aren't they? I'll agree
that the train might be a better and faster deal but I was quoted much
lower prices for one of the non-standard mini-cabs.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

Those prices are for the standard London cab aren't they? I'll agree that
the train might be a better and faster deal but I was quoted much lower
prices for one of the non-standard mini-cabs.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Please enlighten; which non-standards and how much?

Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"Steve Cain" wrote in message

Those prices are for the standard London cab aren't they? I'll agree that
the train might be a better and faster deal but I was quoted much lower
prices for one of the non-standard mini-cabs.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Please enlighten; which non-standards and how much?

Mini cabs are pre-booked cars, more akin to limo services than
standard cabs. They are not entitled to ply for hire and its usual
to agree the price before taking the trip.

Whatever choice you make do NOT take one of the illegal cabs
touting for business. At best you'll get an overpriced ride in an
uninsured unsafe vehicle, at worst you will be robbed.

Keith

Old November 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

We will be staying at the Novotel London West. It doesn't look that
far from the airport.

If we were to take a train, where would we get off, and how much of a
walk would it be?

Cathy L