Heathrow to introduce new maximum weight for individual bags

Old April 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Lansbury

Default Heathrow to introduce new maximum weight for individual bags

BAA Press Release

Do you struggle to lift your bulging holiday suitcase? Any idea how much
it weighs? Passengers are being urged to check before leaving for
Heathrow, as the world's busiest international airport is bringing in a
32kg limit on individual bags.

From 1 June 2004, passengers traveling through Heathrow will only be
able to check-in bags which weigh 32kg (70lbs) or less. The new safety
measure, which will apply to all airlines and destinations from
Heathrow, is being introduced by airport operator BAA to reduce strains
and injuries amongst baggage handling staff.
Mick Temple, Managing Director of BAA Heathrow Airport said: "We are
committed to implementing safe working practices airport wide which is
why we want to make sure that all our airlines adhere to the same
guidelines to help lessen manual handling injuries amongst airport
staff."

32kg around the weight of a six year-old child or 32 bags of sugar is
fast becoming an internationally recognised limit which some airlines
such as British Airways and Qantas already enforce. The maximum weight
limit relates only to single items of luggage and does not affect
passengers' overall baggage allowance or excess baggage charges, which
are set down by each individual airline.

Around 80 airlines operate from Heathrow and BAA is currently making
sure that all staff and passengers are aware of the new weight limit
between now and June.

Mick Temple added: "We need to make sure that passengers are fully aware
of the new weight limit to avoid any disruption to airport processes or
disappointment to the passenger when they arrive at the airport
terminal. Up to 32kg is still an ample sized holdall so the majority of
passengers should not need to adjust the way they pack. We know our
passengers would not want airport workers to be hurt by bags that are
simply too heavy for anyone to lift without special arrangements."

An average-sized suitcase weighs around 20kg, but sometimes baggage
handlers will have to lift bags weighing up to 70kg in the tight
confines of an aircraft hold.

Passengers who exceed the weight limit after 1 June will be asked to
repack their luggage into smaller units before they can check-in. BAA
will be placing scales inside each terminal so that passengers can
verify the weight of their luggage before they get to check-in. Bags
will also be available for passengers who need to re-pack at excess
baggage outlets in each terminal. Those who need to carry items which
exceed the 32kg weight limit such as some sporting equipment, should
make special arrangements with their airline in advance.

Christine Barringer, of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which is
backing the new initiative said: "Manual handling injuries account for
around 40% of total airport injuries reported to HSE. The majority of
these are related to baggage handling activities, particularly airport
staff handling heavy bags. HSE strongly supports the actions being taken
by Heathrow Airport and we continue to work in partnership with the air
industry to see if a further reduction in the maximum bag weight can be
achieved.

"HSE and industry are encouraged by the 17% reduction in reported
injuries among baggage handlers by Heathrow based, British Airways who
started operating this maximum single bag limit 12 months ago. This
demonstrates that real improvements can be made in this area for the
benefit of both airport workers and industry."

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is also developing a
series of guidelines which includes a 32kg weight limit for any single
bag, which it is hoped it will appear in the IATA Ground Handling Manual
from the start of 2005.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Airport Transfers Australia

It is good to see that baggage weight regulations are being looked at
closely.

I provide bus transfers between an International Terminal and Domestic
Terminal where I live and handle a lot of passengers originating out of
Africa, where in most of these countries there is no weight restriction on
luggage.

carrying five or more bags of similar weight you can imagine the pressure
our drivers are under.

"Lansbury" wrote in message
BAA Press Release

Do you struggle to lift your bulging holiday suitcase? Any idea how much
it weighs? Passengers are being urged to check before leaving for
Heathrow, as the world's busiest international airport is bringing in a
32kg limit on individual bags.

From 1 June 2004, passengers traveling through Heathrow will only be

Old April 28th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:52:02 +0100 Lansbury wrote:

:BAA Press Release
:27 April 2004

:Do you struggle to lift your bulging holiday suitcase? Any idea how much
:it weighs? Passengers are being urged to check before leaving for
:Heathrow, as the world's busiest international airport is bringing in a
:32kg limit on individual bags.

Were you able, in the past, to have bags more than 32kg without a huge fee?

On which airlines?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Lansbury

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:21:47 +0300, Binyamin Dissen
wrote:

:Do you struggle to lift your bulging holiday suitcase? Any idea how much
:it weighs? Passengers are being urged to check before leaving for
:Heathrow, as the world's busiest international airport is bringing in a
:32kg limit on individual bags.

Were you able, in the past, to have bags more than 32kg without a huge fee?

On which airlines?

I guess it is aimed at business and 1st class passengers in the main.

Most flights departing LHR have a baggage limit of 20Kg or 23Kg for
economy passengers already, only transatlantic flights differ.

Bets me who would what to carry a bag to and from the airport that
weighed over 32Kg anyway.

Old April 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Martin WY

wrote:

:Do you struggle to lift your bulging holiday suitcase? Any idea how much
:it weighs? Passengers are being urged to check before leaving for
:Heathrow, as the world's busiest international airport is bringing in a
:32kg limit on individual bags.

Were you able, in the past, to have bags more than 32kg without a huge fee?

On which airlines?

I guess it is aimed at business and 1st class passengers in the main.

Most flights departing LHR have a baggage limit of 20Kg or 23Kg for
economy passengers already, only transatlantic flights differ.

Bets me who would what to carry a bag to and from the airport that
weighed over 32Kg anyway.

The problem was they started doing dimenson size at check in,
irrespective of weight. That in itself was an anomnoly on loading ,
as the Captain needs to know extactly his weght of passengers,
freight, and his crew and catering load, to calculate his take off
weight and rotate. As a dispatcher of past, these reqirements are
still needed. So a report of check in 82bags 56in hand mean
nothing, 82 bags in the days of old were calculated at 20kgs max
(many less than that) 56 i;n hand was calculated at 5kgs( many now
in excess of that) and that gave the dispatcher the departure mode of
the aircraft, centre of gravity and lift off. How times are
changing!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Roland Perry

In message , Lansbury
writes
Bets me who would what to carry a bag to and from the airport that
weighed over 32Kg anyway.

Business and First Class passengers will have "a man" who does that for
them. Not sure why these bags need to be squirreled away in dark and
distant corners of the hold, though (in the way that BA alleges causes
constant injury); surely they will be near the doors so they can get off
first and speed their lucrative, economy class subsidising [oops, wrong
thread], passengers on their way...
--
Roland Perry
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Col

About time they - the airlines - upped the allowances, particularly in
economy.

Colin.

--
Remove the 'old' to reply to me.

Watashi no tsuma wa nihon-jin desu!
Watashi no tsuma wa kawaii desu!
"Lansbury" wrote in message
BAA Press Release

Do you struggle to lift your bulging holiday suitcase? Any idea how much
it weighs? Passengers are being urged to check before leaving for
Heathrow, as the world's busiest international airport is bringing in a
32kg limit on individual bags.

From 1 June 2004, passengers traveling through Heathrow will only be

Old April 28th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Julian Fowler

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:19:54 +0100, "Col"
wrote:

About time they - the airlines - upped the allowances, particularly in
economy.

Colin.

???? It seems to me that many passengers have no clue about what's
sensible to take on a trip, and pack far too much, in too many bags.
*Lowering* the allowance would seem more sensible, esp. if that
resulted in faster processing of checked bags.

All too often I seem to have to wait for 30-40 minutes for bags to
arrive at the carousels in MAN, and then watch while parties of
Mum+Dad+2 kids struggle to retrieve six huge suitcases plus sundry
other bags ... what *do* these people take with them?

--
Julian Fowler
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Roland Perry

In message , Julian Fowler
writes
All too often I seem to have to wait for 30-40 minutes for bags to
arrive at the carousels in MAN, and then watch while parties of
Mum+Dad+2 kids struggle to retrieve six huge suitcases plus sundry
other bags ... what *do* these people take with them?

Probably enough clothes for 2 weeks holiday, bearing in mind that cheap
places to stay probably won't have any useful laundry or dry cleaning
facilities. For kids under about 5, you can double the volume of
miscellaneous clothes and other things you need.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:24 PM
user

wrote:

About time they - the airlines - upped the allowances, particularly in
economy.

Colin.

???? It seems to me that many passengers have no clue about what's
sensible to take on a trip, and pack far too much, in too many bags.
*Lowering* the allowance would seem more sensible, esp. if that
resulted in faster processing of checked bags.

All too often I seem to have to wait for 30-40 minutes for bags to
arrive at the carousels in MAN, and then watch while parties of
Mum+Dad+2 kids struggle to retrieve six huge suitcases plus sundry
other bags ... what *do* these people take with them?

Beats the heck out of me. The last time my wife and I traveled
with a toddler and baby on a 10-day trip, we managed it with
one standard-size suitcase and a small duffle that were checked,
and two schoolkid-sized backpacks for carry-ons. Plus the car
seats for the plane, of course. And we managed quite well with
that.

I guess some people aren't aware that other countries have
laundry facilities that can be used by visitors. ;-)

- Rich