What is demi-pension? Other questions on staying in dortoirs

Old March 5th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Jim Happ

Default What is demi-pension? Other questions on staying in dortoirs

I'm planning some walking in the European Alps (France-Switzerland-Italy)
and am confused by the terminology in hostels.

1. Is demi-pension dinner, bed and breakfast? If so, the prices often seem
higher than the stated cost of the individual components added up
2. What is a full pension?
3. Most of the places seem to frown on walkers having access to the
kitchen. Is 240V power available in most dortoirs so that at least I can
make my own bowl of muesli and heat up water for coffee with an immersion
heater in my mug. Breakfast is often ?8-12, way overpriced for a roll with
jam, plus coffee.
4. Do you need to bring your own sleeping bag for a dortoir? Or just the
liner?

Jim

Old March 5th, 2005, 03:09 AM
JX Bardant

"Jim Happ" a écrit dans le message de news:
I'm planning some walking in the European Alps (France-Switzerland-Italy)
and am confused by the terminology in hostels.

1. Is demi-pension dinner, bed and breakfast?

Yes
If so, the prices often seem
higher than the stated cost of the individual components added up

?

2. What is a full pension?

Demi-pension + déjeuner (lunch)

3. Most of the places seem to frown on walkers having access to the
kitchen. Is 240V power available in most dortoirs so that at least I can
make my own bowl of muesli and heat up water for coffee with an immersion
heater in my mug. Breakfast is often ?8-12, way overpriced for a roll with
jam, plus coffee.

The guy who prepares it and does the washing up has to be paid, the rent for
the place where you sit has to be paid, etc.

4. Do you need to bring your own sleeping bag for a dortoir? Or just the
liner?

Some will rent sheets to be used in a regular bed with blankets... A
sleeping bag is something made for travel, IMHO it doesn't make much sense
to rent it.
Bring your own tooth brush too.

Jim

Old March 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM
trallala

half pension dinner : evening meal included
full pension : lunch and dinner included

dont think cooking is allowed in dormitories, offten they
have a shared kitchen room

Old March 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Earl Evleth

On 5/03/05 12:11, in article ,
"trallala" wrote:

half pension dinner : evening meal included

Throw the breakfast in too, this is not much in most of France.

The formula is a good one if you travel around during the day.

However, if you are at a location, like a seaside hotel on the
beach and don`t plan on moving around, get full pension unless
there are plenty of restraurants close by.

Our our age (retired) we find dinners usually to copious at higher
class hotels. You may have "entrée, main dish, cheese and dessert".
Fortunately French portions are small but still this can be a little
too much. We eat light at lunch so a single plate will do.

Pension meals are standard offerings and sometimes no choice or a choice
of one of two main plates. If it is chicken that night, chicken you get. But
the dishes offered are designed to offend no one. French that is. However,
they might have pork, which would offend Jews and Moslems. But fish,
chicken veal, beef etc is standard.

Next, there is a minimum stay of perhaps 3 days for any pension
formula. We usually stay a week, 10 days or two weeks. One place
we stay at last summer had a table d'hôte, meaning that they served
a single main plate. We put our faith in French chefs generally,
they will do no harm! I will eat anything they serve.

Earl

Old March 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM
JuanElorza

Jim Happ a écrit :
I'm planning some walking in the European Alps (France-Switzerland-Italy)
and am confused by the terminology in hostels.

1. Is demi-pension dinner, bed and breakfast? If so, the prices often seem
higher than the stated cost of the individual components added up

Room, breakfast and one meal, lunch or dinner.

2. What is a full pension?

Room, breakfast, lunch, dinner.

The price is generally less than the sum of the componants.